R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By twistedneck
  • 1 Post By Eddie_E
  • 2 Post By rskoncepts
  • 2 Post By vivo quevas
  • 1 Post By rskoncepts
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-12-2017, 04:31 AM   #1
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Dearborn, MI
Posts: 150
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default ESC advice for 1S drag racing (old Tekin RS Pro is the best now)

Fellow electric RC speed freaks here is a little backkground.
In RCdrag racing 1 cell class, the current RCDRL champion is Tim Smith. He knows how to go very fast super quickly and utilizes a special Max Amps 1S 'Tim Smith Signature Series' battery.

He uses a Tekin 2.5 Turn Gen 3 motor - that was easy enough to find however, the ESC recommended by him is the Tekin RS Pro.

Tekin is now working with him to make a new revised RS pro for 1S RCDRL work. i can't wait to get that ESC but its not available yet.

Tekin RS Pro 1S coming soon :: LiveRC.com - R/C Car News, Pictures, Videos, and More

What makes the Tekin RS Pro ESC work so well in drag racing? is there something new about the revised RS Pro that will improve it? (notice the extra huge cap on top).

Is there an ESC i can purchase now that will perform at a similar or better level? i know the on road guys here in RC Tech in both 1/8 and 1/10 have extremely high current setups. Help appreciated. Thank you!
LOW ET likes this.
twistedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 07:22 AM   #2
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Framingham, MA
Posts: 358
Default

The SMC RF170 has been good in 1/12th scale, but it's a few grams heavier with an aluminium case.
twistedneck likes this.
Eddie_E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 08:16 AM   #3
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Dearborn, MI
Posts: 150
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie_E View Post
The SMC RF170 has been good in 1/12th scale, but it's a few grams heavier with an aluminium case.
Would the 2S version w a fan handle the current better than the fanless 1S?

Any idea how that compares w the god like tekin RS Pro?
twistedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 11:08 AM   #4
Tech Elite
 
rskoncepts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Honolulu, Hawaii
Posts: 2,648
Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default

Twisted, I also drag race and unfortunately there is none at this time that competes with the RS Pro. Nothing at this time out there in the road car arena can turn it up enough even though they have boost and turbo similar to the Tekin. Interesting to hear that Tim runs the Tekin motor. We've been having success with the Trinity D3.5 series. The D4 was a bust. Haven't tried the Gold yet. We've only been in the low 1.7s so far but only using okay batteries and haven't tested a lot yet.
LOW ET and twistedneck like this.
rskoncepts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 06:42 PM   #5
Tech Master
 
vivo quevas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Central, Ca.
Posts: 1,117
Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default

Servo and a micro switch lol
LOW ET and twistedneck like this.
__________________
Awesomatix A800 USGT, Awesomatix 800 VTA, , Tamiya Euro Truck, CRC WTF1

http://localrcracing.freeforums.org/
HobbyTown Fresno, Ca. McAllister Racing, Visa/MasterCard's
vivo quevas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 07:15 PM   #6
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Dearborn, MI
Posts: 150
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rskoncepts View Post
Twisted, I also drag race and unfortunately there is none at this time that competes with the RS Pro. Nothing at this time out there in the road car arena can turn it up enough even though they have boost and turbo similar to the Tekin. Interesting to hear that Tim runs the Tekin motor. We've been having success with the Trinity D3.5 series. The D4 was a bust. Haven't tried the Gold yet. We've only been in the low 1.7s so far but only using okay batteries and haven't tested a lot yet.
Great info Rskoncepts. So do you enjoy pro stock? Man that esc must be something special. I'll order one up from eBay.. somehow they are still around.

What do u know about the SDK 1 and 2s versions in the previous posts? And what about something like an 1/8 tekin road esc?

I should just wait for the new updated version.
twistedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 10:05 PM   #7
Tech Elite
 
rskoncepts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Honolulu, Hawaii
Posts: 2,648
Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default

Twisted, I prefer short cars versus dragster and funny car. So I like both ps and pm. What makes the RS Pro the esc at this time (Tekin is coming out with a new 1s esc that'll handle drags but no eta), you can turn up the boost and turbo a lot and turn off lipo cutoff (nimh mode). You have to do this manually with the button and lights. The Hotwire will not give you that option. The Tekin RSX doesn't allow this and the cpu cannot handle the low voltage of 1s. I'm hoping the new 1s can data log like the RSX but run 1s. That's a really helpful tuning aid. If you're buying from eBay make sure to look really good at the pics for no damage. I also look at how they solder. If solder doesn't look good then I don't buy from that seller.
The RX8 for some reason doesn't work well for drags. I actually had better results with the Mamba Monster for 2s and 3s.
We've been only using the higher end Trinity batteries like the carbon and their team with low IR and/or higher voltage. I've also use the batteries from PR called NewGen. You can find this guy on Facebook.
We don't have a dedicated track so we use sugar water and the surface is not that great so chassis and electronics tuning to so important for us.
Do you run with Tim Smith? Then Rainman too. How cool. They are the masters!
twistedneck likes this.
rskoncepts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 08:24 AM   #8
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Dearborn, MI
Posts: 150
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rskoncepts View Post
Twisted, I prefer short cars versus dragster and funny car. So I like both ps and pm. What makes the RS Pro the esc at this time (Tekin is coming out with a new 1s esc that'll handle drags but no eta), you can turn up the boost and turbo a lot and turn off lipo cutoff (nimh mode). You have to do this manually with the button and lights. The Hotwire will not give you that option. The Tekin RSX doesn't allow this and the cpu cannot handle the low voltage of 1s. I'm hoping the new 1s can data log like the RSX but run 1s. That's a really helpful tuning aid. If you're buying from eBay make sure to look really good at the pics for no damage. I also look at how they solder. If solder doesn't look good then I don't buy from that seller.
The RX8 for some reason doesn't work well for drags. I actually had better results with the Mamba Monster for 2s and 3s.
We've been only using the higher end Trinity batteries like the carbon and their team with low IR and/or higher voltage. I've also use the batteries from PR called NewGen. You can find this guy on Facebook.
We don't have a dedicated track so we use sugar water and the surface is not that great so chassis and electronics tuning to so important for us.
Do you run with Tim Smith? Then Rainman too. How cool. They are the masters!
Excellent post rskoncepts!!! I'm going to get the used one and get another new one when they are available in the new 1S specific version. I do not race against Tim Smith or Rainman.. those are west coast guys. we are starting a group from scratch here in South East Michigan. Most of us race buggy at Dirt Burners in Livonia, so the group is focused there. The track owner Ed is looking at local areas to support a real drag race with all of the proper track help. Mean time, we are building several cars to demo and get the hobby going here. there is a lot of interest built up..

here is what Tekin told me last night

"Jeff,
We are currently working on the new Gen RS Pro and RS Pro 1s version. No ETA on them but it is coming..
The unit is better then the Drag Racing world due to the multiple board's filled with FETS. This makes it have a super low resistance number which is key for Drag racing and the Oval markets. In on-road and off-road racing applications its not as important as other aspects a ESC.

Thank you,
Tekin Service Dept."
twistedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 10:45 AM   #9
Tech Elite
 
rskoncepts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Honolulu, Hawaii
Posts: 2,648
Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default

Twisted, that's great if you can get somone to help support it. IMDRA has a big race in Chicago once a year that you could possibly check out that has the fast guys and PR racers too I think. Are you thinking of running VHT or sugar?
I run the RAE chassis and Tony Rudis at RAE does sell rtr 1s cars with the setup already in it. I find this chassis to be the most tunable and consistent (my opinion...which you'll get tons of from others). The group I'm with has years from experience from the early beginnings of RC drags and have gone through most, if not all, of the different chassis manufacturers.
rskoncepts is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Official Tekno RC SCT410.3 Thread Matthew_Armeni Electric Off-Road 5230 Today 02:52 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 06:58 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net