Originally Posted by Set View Post
is USGT 21.5 blinky?
Yup.
Old 03-08-2017, 08:09 PM   #18
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by B. Santos View Post
Move to 17.5 first, and do it right now.

I feel like our Bay Area scene is friendly to beginner 17.5 drivers. The local fast drivers know how to pass back markers cleanly.

Driving with a small increase in speed may help improve your USGT driving, too.

Norcal Hobbies also provides an intermediate and expert 17.5TC class at club races, provided there are enough drivers.
Alright, you have convinced me.
Old 03-09-2017, 03:22 AM   #19
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I say, move your way up (regardless of what that upper level is) once you can drive a 5mn race without making more than a couple of mistakes (hit boards, roll over,...) while still being reasonably quick

That multitude of classes (21.5, 17.5, 13.5 blinky, 13.5 boosted, 10.5, mod) is puzzling to us Europeans...

The train stops at the train station. The bus stops at the bus station. In my office I have a workstation.
Lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 03:23 AM   #20
Tech Elite

When you want to run Mod, after having raced some 17.5 blinky, I would suggest getting a 13.5 motor and running it in boosted mode. this will help get used to having that bit more power and using brakes etc.
Lonestar likes this.
wlrc.co.uk (West London Racing Centre)
RCDisco.co.uk
Skiddins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 10:15 AM   #21
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to valk Send a message via AIM to valk Send a message via MSN to valk

I say do what you want. Mod isnt that big a deal with some practice and having to run a new car after a few races is crap lol. You will learn much better throttle control with mod and that will translate to any class you run. You will also learn to use brakes efficiently.
Smooth is fast in any class so not always point and shoot for mod either. Having tons of extra powet doesnt mean you use it all the time.
The only safety concern for me is having enough local mod support that you can run with peopleof similar skill level and you wont have much faster guys getting mad at you for you not getting out of the way fast enough. But its stillt heir fault for hitting you. Situational awareness and all.
RBLove likes this.
valk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 02:01 AM   #22
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airwave View Post
I also thought mod would be cheaper than stock but it will always depend on which level you want to reach. Consider that at the top Mod level, you can change your chassis at each race. To be reasonable, you can use a car for a race, the two or three trainings after that then you go to the next race with a new car.

That's absolutely not how I practice RC... I don't know the classes raced where you live, but the most reasonable compromise between speed, fun, and budget is 13.5 boosted. Well configured you can easily reach 70 km/h, which could be more than enough on most of tracks...
Boosted 13.5 preach! Do you guys still run boosted classes in the states?
defcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 12:04 PM   #23
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by defcone View Post
Boosted 13.5 preach! Do you guys still run boosted classes in the states?
I haven't seen it anywhere near me.
Old 04-20-2017, 02:29 PM   #24
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestar View Post
I say, move your way up (regardless of what that upper level is) once you can drive a 5mn race without making more than a couple of mistakes (hit boards, roll over,...) while still being reasonably quick
Good advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestar View Post
That multitude of classes (21.5, 17.5, 13.5 blinky, 13.5 boosted, 10.5, mod) is puzzling to us Europeans...
Possibly has to do with track size. A fairly typical indoor carpet track here is maybe 80' x 40'. (At least in my area. Your mileage may vary...) Pictures I've seen of European tracks seem to be pretty big (gymnasium sized). Or dedicated outdoor tracks, which we don't seem to have very many of, at least in the northern half...

The original poster didn't say whether he was racing carpet or asphalt. I've raced Mod at a LARGE outdoor track (Toledo, OH) built for 8th scale nitro cars. For me, indoor carpet 17.5 is actually harder than Mod outdoors at the big track, simply because there's more room for error and time between turns.
Kevin Marcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 05:21 PM   #25
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

How many parts can you afford to change out every race day ? The first question you ask yourself if you want to go mod.......
Jason84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 10:28 PM   #26
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to valk Send a message via AIM to valk Send a message via MSN to valk

I think a lot of it depends what level you wish to attain and how realistic that is. 95% of us will never ever be as fast as the pros. maybe within a lap would be a realistic goal. showing up with a new car every race is kinda rediculous if you maintain your stuff regularly.
if you have lots of money to throw away then by all means, a new car is EASIER than servicing a well run in car but meh. different strokes for different folks.
mod motors are fairly inexpensive compared to spec motors, you don't need top of the line batteries for mod so last years stock batteries will work just fine in mod. upgrade your batteries for 21.5 and re-purpose the old ones to mod.

a 6.5 motor would cover you well i think. with boost you have as much power as you could expect from a 4.5, at least on carpet tracks, and in blinky its quite manageable. you will have to learn to set the esc and the radio to suit your driving skill level, and learn how to drive the car faster on average, as a mod setup will be hard to drive slow.

id say buy new stuff for your spec car and just re-purpose all the old stuff into a mod car and get to the track to practice. I wouldn't worry about RACING it so much until you aren't a moving pylon, but you learn a lot in mod that helps in stock. i might also suggest looking into nitro if you have an outdoor track. you HAVE to learn how to use brakes in that and you will get comfortable with cornering at speed.

but really it all comes back to what you enjoy racing.
davidl and GrandeGixxer like this.
www.irocc.ca - www.wcics.ca - www.vrcworld.com
valk is offline   Reply With Quote