R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree10Likes

Old 06-17-2017, 12:13 PM   #31
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by disaster999 View Post
looks like the end is near, they CLAIMED they will ship mid of July with an MSRP of US$469. Quite a bit more from what I was told/expecting.
https://www.facebook.com/rcxpress/ph...type=3&theater
$
rimracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 08:35 PM   #32
Tech Addict

I managed to get my hands on a demo one of these yesterday in a local hobby shop. Really impressed by it! Quality was spot on and some of the refined innovations, like the one piece uppper and lowers, one piece lower motor mount, thicker floating servo carbon just to name a few.

I'll be picking one of these up!
SCT - Tekno SCT410 / Losi 22SCT 2.0
WagwanBumba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 08:16 AM   #33
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Quote:
looks like the end is near, they CLAIMED they will ship mid of July with an MSRP of US$469. Quite a bit more from what I was told/expecting.
https://www.facebook.com/rcxpress/ph...type=3&theater
MSRP doesn't necessarily indicate street price.

E.g. Tamiya 419X W MSRP $1,133.00........

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
robk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 01:19 PM   #34
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The current Xpress kits have been sold at 15-20% below MSRP.

So expect it to be around $400.

I think most were hoping it would be in the Spec R/3Racing price range but I don't think that was ever likely looking at the prices of the other kits they have out.

For about $60 more you're in Xray territory, seems a strange price to pitch it at. $300 would probably be the sweet spot to attract customers. As soon as you get to $400 you need to do something very special to get people away from proven platforms like Xray, Yokomo, Schumacher etc...
daveaustin5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 06:56 AM   #35
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Price is usually a factor of cost. Those 1 piece bulkheads would be significantly more expensive to produce than the standard 2 piece designs from the likes of Yokomo, Xray, etc
rcmart likes this.
Old 06-20-2017, 08:12 AM   #36
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveaustin5 View Post
The current Xpress kits have been sold at 15-20% below MSRP.

So expect it to be around $400.

I think most were hoping it would be in the Spec R/3Racing price range but I don't think that was ever likely looking at the prices of the other kits they have out.

For about $60 more you're in Xray territory, seems a strange price to pitch it at. $300 would probably be the sweet spot to attract customers. As soon as you get to $400 you need to do something very special to get people away from proven platforms like Xray, Yokomo, Schumacher etc...
Sometimes you get what you pay for too. if they were after a low-to-mid range car then the cost would reflect that but I'm not seeing anything in the design that looks low end. I'd be much more willing to move away from Xray into a similar quality and price of car than into a cheaper car to save a few dollars on the kit by sacrificing quality.

If this thing comes in less than Xray/Tamiya/Awsomatix cars and performs then it's a good deal, even if it's only $60 less than some other cars.
Old 06-20-2017, 09:21 AM   #37
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by veecee View Post
Price is usually a factor of cost. Those 1 piece bulkheads would be significantly more expensive to produce than the standard 2 piece designs from the likes of Yokomo, Xray, etc
I was wondering if they're cast (with some machining afterwards) rather than machined from a solid billet.

It's an odd feature. It costs a lot more than separate mounts, and most of the other cars deliberately have some flex in this area. E.g. the Yokomo guys never run the bulkhead braces, and most chassis' have cutouts between the bulkheads to increase flex.

I sometimes remove the lower tower screws to increase flex. It gives more grip, at the cost of responsiveness. So the one-piece bulkheads would only really be good in ultra-high grip I'd think.
daleburr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 12:37 PM   #38
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Carter View Post
Sometimes you get what you pay for too. if they were after a low-to-mid range car then the cost would reflect that but I'm not seeing anything in the design that looks low end. I'd be much more willing to move away from Xray into a similar quality and price of car than into a cheaper car to save a few dollars on the kit by sacrificing quality.

If this thing comes in less than Xray/Tamiya/Awsomatix cars and performs then it's a good deal, even if it's only $60 less than some other cars.
The reason Xray can charge a premium is because:

A) Their cars have been at the very top end of pretty much every major international race for the last 10 years
B) They have an international team of drivers constantly testing and refining the product and offering after sales support with setups, tips etc...
C) They manufacture in Europe and is all done in-house
D) They use the best quality plastics, alloys etc... in the industry

Xpress come to the game without A, B or C and we know nothing about D until it's released. I think they'll struggle to shift them unless they can get close to the $300 mark, regardless of how it 'performs'.

It's a shame because I like the Xpress brand for what they did in the 90s and the kit looks really nice. I'm not convinced the 1 piece bulkheads are a good idea but I like that they tried something different as was the case during their first incarnation.
The Teacher and Dazzk like this.
daveaustin5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 07:46 PM   #39
Regional Moderator

Ive checked out the XQ1 while it was in testing at my local track and in my LHS and I can say the quality of the kit is there. It doesnt feel cheaply made like other Hong Kong made brands.

My LHS said while he was building the kit, it was pretty impressed with the quality of the bulkhead and the one piece design ensured a smooth drive train. The diff was pretty smooth as well and you can barely feel the teeth engaging.Springs that comes with the car is a bit soft, but most people wont use stock springs anyways.

The dual tone anodizing does stand out and it looks really nice on the car. He told me kits will start rolling out in mid July, I already bought another TC since I got tired of waiting, But Im sure this kit will have huge potential. I might pick one up somewhere down the line just because.
disaster999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 10:48 PM   #40
Tech Apprentice
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
I saw the xpress test at my local track and was able to look at the chassis up close and I'm impressed with the design and build quality. It uses a one piece front and back bulkhead and keys into the cutout on the chassis which they say eliminates the possible misalignment happens with regular bulkheads.

It was on par with xrays and bd8s at the track. Definitely gonna order one when it comes out.
ARC had keyed in bulkheads also on the R11 but got rid of it on the 2017 model. Apparently it had issues running on carpet on high grip surfaces. Not sure if it's a good or bad thing having cutouts.
PaulC83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 06:36 AM   #41
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Quote:

A) Their cars have been at the very top end of pretty much every major international race for the last 10 years
B) They have an international team of drivers constantly testing and refining the product and offering after sales support with setups, tips etc...

Xpress come to the game without A, B or C and we know nothing about D until it's released. I think they'll struggle to shift them unless they can get close to the $300 mark, regardless of how it 'performs'.

It's a shame because I like the Xpress brand for what they did in the 90s and the kit looks really nice. I'm not convinced the 1 piece bulkheads are a good idea but I like that they tried something different as was the case during their first incarnation.
That is all true about Xray and that's what it takes to stay at the top as they have for so long. Awesomatix came to market with a $1000usd car that didn't have most of those things to deal with and have been successful selling kits. To me, that proved new cars/manufacturers can be accepted even at a premium price if the car is seen to be worth the investment not just because they have more overhead. It took Awesomatix a long time to bring the cost down and even then it's still a premium priced car.

My point is simply that I'd be happy with a $460 kit compared to a $350 kit if I know there is more quality in the box. That's a good trade off for me, and most others. If this kit is really good, and they want to grab a large market share, I'm sure the overhead of the team, distribution, manufacturing, etc. will add up and the kit price will go up to support that.
Old 07-01-2017, 06:47 AM   #42
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Thumbs up

i like this car
RANDY SMOOTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 09:17 AM   #43
Tech Apprentice

Quote:

E) They spent a lot of effort to design all the printing materials, box, setup book...
F) They shot the best photos
G) They created the best web site, very informative

That's why Xray is deserve to sell at $400 mark. Xpress come to the game without A, B, C, E, F, G and we know nothing about D until it's released.
Smashrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 08:15 PM   #44
Regional Moderator

People at my local track started putting the XQ1 to test and the general impressions I've heard is the car turns a lot more than XRay. Performance of the car is there, but a lot of people also complain about the plastic parts on the car. Esp the ball joints. They were saying the plastics are so soft they were able to turn the turnbuckles by hand and the settings would be all over the place if you crash. They are looking in upgrading to either infinity or XRay ball cups and ball studs.

Also, the 2 piece steering knuckle design is pretty bad, one being CLEARLY they are going to have a carbon fiber after market part for it in the future to milk us of more money. Second, there's only a single screw that holds the 2 piece together. They did have keyways to align the part but they will wear over time and the single screw isn't enough to prevent any movement. They should of put 2 screws in there to keep it from moving much.

Finally, the arms on the car do look a lot more flimsy and skinny compared to others and could imagine them snapping like twigs in a bad crash.

Putting the kit together was pretty straight forward and people said it was very easy to put together even without a manual. But the plastic parts are a bit disappointing.
disaster999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 11:51 PM   #45
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to racer034life

Were can I order one?