• 1 Post By Billy Kelly
  • 1 Post By sps3172

What tightness on front/rear belt for mod and stock

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2019, 06:11 AM
Shop Owner

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Questions?? What tightness on front/rear belt for mod and stock

As the title indicates what tightness on front/rear belt for mod and stock is recommended and why?
Old 06-24-2019, 07:42 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

The tighter a belt is run, the more drag it has. The tighter a belt is run, the less likely it is to slip a tooth and start to tear itself apart. Looser settings have less drag, and potentially the ability to slip. My VTA car has ~very~ sloppy belt tension.
Old 06-24-2019, 06:42 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Agree with the above post...….I believe in Mod one is going to run a tighter belt for two reasons. First the cars are overpowered to begin with, thus drive train efficiency is not really a factor. Second, I believe a looser belt in Mod will be "thrown" off of the pulley. I am pretty sure on the latter point, but experienced Mod racers can chime in here...……..
Old 06-27-2019, 04:57 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SouthFloridaApp
Agree with the above post...….I believe in Mod one is going to run a tighter belt for two reasons. First the cars are overpowered to begin with, thus drive train efficiency is not really a factor. Second, I believe a looser belt in Mod will be "thrown" off of the pulley. I am pretty sure on the latter point, but experienced Mod racers can chime in here...……..
Efficiency and a smooth drive line is a very big factory with belt driven TC's, even more so later in the run and is a huge factor in the cars performance from tone to tone. Even more so late in the run when voltage starts to fade.

Belt tension is a big tuning aid on how the car drives. Example: With the front belt tighter than the rear, the chassis will have more forward drive than the rear, a tighter rear belt will have more rear drive over the front. From my experience having the front belt slightly tighter than the rear, this will give more forward drive, thus allowing the spool to work properly, pulling the car out of the corners as a spool should do. A tighter rear belt makes the car less consistent and is harder to drive fast, from my experience.

When adjusting your belt tension, this is best to do so without the top deck on. Adjust your tensions insuring the front belt is tighter than the rear, also without the belts pulling on the chassis. Then install your top deck.

Hope this helps.
nnick and Billy Kelly like this.
Old 06-27-2019, 05:44 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by NEED-MORE-SPEED
Efficiency and a smooth drive line is a very big factory with belt driven TC's, even more so later in the run and is a huge factor in the cars performance from tone to tone. Even more so late in the run when voltage starts to fade.

Belt tension is a big tuning aid on how the car drives. Example: With the front belt tighter than the rear, the chassis will have more forward drive than the rear, a tighter rear belt will have more rear drive over the front. From my experience having the front belt slightly tighter than the rear, this will give more forward drive, thus allowing the spool to work properly, pulling the car out of the corners as a spool should do. A tighter rear belt makes the car less consistent and is harder to drive fast, from my experience.

When adjusting your belt tension, this is best to do so without the top deck on. Adjust your tensions insuring the front belt is tighter than the rear, also without the belts pulling on the chassis. Then install your top deck.

Hope this helps.
Interesting. And explained in a way that even a fringe racer can clearly understand. I’ve seen charts and diagrams about it. But I’m far from the level where I believe it would have any real effect on my driving.
NEED-MORE-SPEED likes this.
Old 06-27-2019, 09:13 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by NEED-MORE-SPEED
Belt tension is a big tuning aid on how the car drives. Example: With the front belt tighter than the rear, the chassis will have more forward drive than the rear, a tighter rear belt will have more rear drive over the front.
Uh......this doesn't quite pass the sniff test for me. Are you saying that you knowingly run belts loose enough for them to slip? If no, I don't see any way that the front end will drive more or less than the rear. Those teeth in the belt and pulley are there to ensure that everything stays mechanically 'keyed' together such that the overdrive ratio doesn't ever change.

Maybe you could elaborate?

glennhl likes this.
Old 06-27-2019, 09:38 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sps3172
Uh......this doesn't quite pass the sniff test for me. Are you saying that you knowingly run belts loose enough for them to slip? If no, I don't see any way that the front end will drive more or less than the rear. Those teeth in the belt and pulley are there to ensure that everything stays mechanically 'keyed' together such that the overdrive ratio doesn't ever change.

Maybe you could elaborate?

Sniff Test lol! I'm not saying to run the belts loose enough to slip. I simply stated to have the front belt tighter than the rear, also to make sure the belts are not tight enough to put strain on the chassis plate prior to securing the top deck. Regarding your question on more forward drive than rear: Most TC configurations, the front belt is obviously longer than the rear so naturally the rear belt reacts quicker that the longer front belt (less resistance).

Take two rubber bands that are exactly the same. Pull one back to maximum integrity and let it go, pull the other half the distance and let it go... Because both rubber bands are exactly the same will they both go the same distance?

If you tighten down the rear belt tight as kit allows, and run the front belt loose as kit allows (without skipping teeth) the chassis will not perform and will not be on pace.