Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By biz77

Old 02-27-2017, 11:19 AM   #1
Tech Apprentice

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default 12 scale lipo bag?

Do any of you use a lipo bag or case where you put your whole 12 scale car in for trackside charging? If so, what brand or size, etc. Any comments are welcome. Thanks!

Last edited by MrWheels; 02-27-2017 at 11:34 AM.
MrWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 11:40 AM   #2
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWheels View Post
Do any of you use a lipo bag or case where you put your whole 12 scale car in for trackside charging? If so, what brand or size, etc. Any comments are welcome. Thanks!
I haven't seen anything. I would think it would be especially tough if you run a rollover antenna, plus I usually have tire sauce on as the battery is charging so I wouldn't want that gumming up the inside of a bag. My track does not require the use of lipo bags when charging so I just charge in the car. Where it is required I think most are just sucking it up and pulling the battery out after each race. This is where o-ring battery retention systems are handy.
MontanaMaxx likes this.
biz77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 12:23 PM   #3
Tech Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Roelof

The lazy charger....
Yes, there are larger bags, with F1 racing I have seen people opening the bottom side so they can pull it over the car, maybe a 1/12 will fit in.
But the bag in that situation can not be closed so when a fire starts it still can come out of the bag, not to mention that it will ruin the car and electronics as well.

So you want to save that few inches of tape and some mounting work by adding the risk that if your battery goes it will take your car as well? Be my guest!
Old 02-27-2017, 12:31 PM   #4
Tech Apprentice

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

I normally charge the battery w/out a lipo bag but am going to a race that requires bags. I need the loosen one end of the shock in order to remove the batttery and was wondering what others do in this situation. I hate messing with this as it my effect the setup over time. 12 scale racing is a new class for me.
MrWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 01:42 PM   #5
Tech Elite

Most people I see just remove the shock. Plus it can affect tire sauce times if this needs to be done unless if you pull the tires off the car while it's charging. But if you are gonna do that, might as well just pull the shock off. It's less time consuming that way. Our track requires lipo bag as well. Many wanted what you wanted, but they ended up settling on pulling the shock off if your car requires it. Mine doe not so it's a none issue.

Yokomo YRX12
Yokomo YZ-2 DT/CA
JimmyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 01:46 PM   #6
Tech Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Roelof

With LiPo bags there is no over rated safety, it is not about all those times nothing went wrong but that one moment it goes wrong. Many pictures can be found on the net of burned rooms, cars and even club buildings. Keep the battery in the car, if it blows you will loose your setup anyway.....
Old 02-27-2017, 02:52 PM   #7
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roelof View Post
With LiPo bags there is no over rated safety, it is not about all those times nothing went wrong but that one moment it goes wrong. Many pictures can be found on the net of burned rooms, cars and even club buildings. Keep the battery in the car, if it blows you will loose your setup anyway.....
TOM MAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 03:07 PM   #8
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

At the club I race at we've had three (that I recall) battery fires happen in the past seven years I've been going there. All of them occurred while in a car while the car was running on the track. We've never (knock on wood) had an incident while charging a lipo in the pits. We have destroyed a few cheap Legends NiCd packs in the pits however. They stink when they pop, but at least they don't catch on fire.

Bottom line: keep plenty of spare bull cups for your rear shock if it needs to be removed to get the battery in and out. Once they develop an appreciable amount of slop - replace them. Consider it a wear item.
biz77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 04:39 PM   #9
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by biz77 View Post
At the club I race at we've had three (that I recall) battery fires happen in the past seven years I've been going there. All of them occurred while in a car while the car was running on the track. We've never (knock on wood) had an incident while charging a lipo in the pits. We have destroyed a few cheap Legends NiCd packs in the pits however. They stink when they pop, but at least they don't catch on fire.

Bottom line: keep plenty of spare bull cups for your rear shock if it needs to be removed to get the battery in and out. Once they develop an appreciable amount of slop - replace them. Consider it a wear item.
Yeah hard hit on track and puncture the cell and up they go I have new batteries I charge at 40 amps that only increase temp 10 degrees if that
MontanaMaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 06:54 AM   #10
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by biz77 View Post

How do you know the battery fires weren't caused by faulty ESC's?
wlrc.co.uk (West London Racing Centre)
RCDisco.co.uk
Skiddins is offline   Reply With Quote