Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
NEW! PROTOform Speed 12B >

NEW! PROTOform Speed 12B

NEW! PROTOform Speed 12B

Old 01-25-2006, 12:37 PM
Tech Addict

Default PROTOform Speed 12B

Many thanks to Jeff C , Mark S , Bruce C , Wayne V & Walter H for their 12B testing and verbal feedback. Much appreciated. Hey - I even got to see Wayne Vince qual. 2nd and finish 2nd to Mike Blackstock using a 12B equipped CRC car at the big Magma Int'l Race (172 entries) last weekend. The 12B seems to be working as designed. cool

Dale - PROTOform
Old 01-25-2006, 01:01 PM
Tech Adept

Hi Dale,
Was most of the testing done with running stock or mod? I just bought a 12b for mod. I was just wondering about the effectiveness of the body with a mod motor.
Thanks for the help.
Matt
Old 01-25-2006, 01:13 PM
Tech Addict

Default 12B

Matt;
It's been tested in stock & 19T by championship calibre drivers and AE's Walt Henderson (usual a-main contender) has tested it in mod. So for, they all liked it and felt it was clearly better in stock and 19T and at least as good or better than the older Speed 12 was in mod. The better the traction, or bigger the track = the better it will be in Mod.
Hope it works well for you too.

Dale - PROTOform
Old 01-25-2006, 01:21 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by daleepp
Matt;
It's been tested in stock & 19T by championship calibre drivers and AE's Walt Henderson (usual a-main contender) has tested it in mod. So for, they all liked it and felt it was clearly better in stock and 19T and at least as good or better than the older Speed 12 was in mod. The better the traction, or bigger the track = the better it will be in Mod.
Hope it works well for you too.

Dale - PROTOform
Dale thank you for the info!
I run 1/12th on a large flowing carpet track so it seems it would work out well. Just wish I had the "championship calibre" credentials....
I will post a pic when the painting is done.
Thanks.
Old 01-27-2006, 06:39 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Damn, I just sold my 12th scale too! But I'm a body painter, and the best thing I see is the side-dams are wider, thus easier to get paint on every inch. Much better than having that misty haze and then a clear section at the top of the wings!

Cool! I like it alot, it should make my job alot easier.
Old 01-27-2006, 07:14 AM
Tech Adept

Hi Dale

when will the body be available at the hobby stores?

thx
Lou
Old 01-27-2006, 07:57 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Am I the only one that thinks the Speed 12/12b are ugly?
Protoform used to make such nice shells, the P35 and Bentley speed 8 were very pretty. Parma and CEFX seem to be doing a better job of this now.
I know things have to move forward, but surely a good handling body can be designed that looks like a modern WSC car?
Old 01-27-2006, 08:11 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by reynard55

YEP!!
Old 01-27-2006, 08:19 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Protoform used to make such nice shells, the P35 and Bentley speed 8 were very pretty. Parma and CEFX seem to be doing a better job of this now.
I know things have to move forward, but surely a good handling body can be designed that looks like a modern WSC car?
The Protoform bodies are the best looking ones out. The Parma Speed 8 works great but it looks like a door stop not a real car.
Old 01-27-2006, 09:04 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

As a painter, the only problem I see with the body is availablilty. The body was released just prior to a major event and you can not get your hands on one for your customers that are going to this event. I have had at least 6 calls or e-mails from people going to the Birds wanting this body and O am not sure I will be able to get them one in time.
Old 01-27-2006, 12:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I think all bodies that have the driver exposed are ugly. I prefer the protoform bodies!
Old 01-27-2006, 02:17 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Can Dale or anyone tell me what the Speed 12 is a model of?
as far as I am aware there is no such WSC car as a speed 12.
Old 01-27-2006, 02:45 PM
Tech Addict

The Protoform and Parma are loosely based off the Bentley Speed 8 but have the front smoothed out a bunch or it would never work. You can't quite have scale looks AND performance at the same time in the r/c game. It's been tried lots of times before and it doesn't work as well.

There was a fairly recent body that had a realistic wing that supposedly worked but I haven't seen or heard anything about it since. I want to say it was designed by CEFX but cannot recall.

BTW, I do not think 1/12 scale has any rules obligation to "resemble" a real car like some other classes.

Last edited by fraz; 01-27-2006 at 02:55 PM.
Old 01-27-2006, 02:47 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I agree..the Speed 12 series has a small "Non-Scale" cockpit/canopy for the size of the body.

The speed 12 would look ALOT better if the canopy was about 1" wider and 1/4" taller. That would give a larger front windshield and side windows...like the Speed 8.
Old 01-27-2006, 02:54 PM
Tech Addict

Default Speed12 & Speed12B

reynard55:
Good question. (& I just knew you were from the UK - without even looking. lol) The name "Speed" was derived from the Bentley Speed 8 LMGTP of 2003. The "12" is all about the fact it's 1/12th scale. Does the body configuration reflect the real car? Not really. In order for a PROTOform on-road body to be competitive against the competition, "realism" unfortunately has to take a back seat to "performance". The global sanctioning bodies such as ROAR, IFMAR and JMRCA have unfortunately never enforced the "realism" part of their rules in the body approval process. In fact, it's pretty much impossible to make the hind 1/3rd of the body realistic because of the r/c drivetrain and required molded-in rear spoiler. Why don't we give it an accurate name like "Bentley Speed 8"? Well, there's not enough profit involved to pay the exorbitant licensing fees that are required when the real "name and likeness" of a 1:1 car is being sold by a company such as ours.
Sure wish the BRCA fully understood the legal dilema we body shell manufacturers have had to face in recent years with regard to "name and likeness".
Probably more info than you wanted - but I hope that it helps.

Dale - PROTOform

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.