R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree123Likes

Old 03-02-2017, 04:12 AM   #256
Tech Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Roelof

And you are missing the point that brushed can be that cheap (compared with brushless) that you have to ask yourself if maintenance is needed if a new motor will cost you the price of a lunch.
Old 03-02-2017, 05:21 AM   #257
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roelof View Post
And you are missing the point that brushed can be that cheap (compared with brushless) that you have to ask yourself if maintenance is needed if a new motor will cost you the price of a lunch.
Without a comm lathe you'll probably be going through one of those every race day if you want your motor to be competitive. Depending on your race schedule, you'll only get 2 months worth of racing with a bunch of those before hitting the break even cost of a decent brushless motor. Even less when compared to budget brushless systems like the Hobbywing ezRun.
gigaplex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 06:50 AM   #258
Tech Apprentice

Hi. My .02 cents as follows; As long as the motor is perceived to be the main factor in where you place in the race there will always be a problem. The only solution is to remove the motor as the main factor. The only way IMHO to really level the playing field (but not for all classes) is to use breakout racing. It won't appeal to everybody but nothing ever does. It would level the racing for new people and people who aren't "fast" and keep them from being put into races where they wind up totally outclassed, which probably discourages more people from racing than anything else. In the "Pro" classes leave things as is if that's what the racers want. In the Sportsman classes run breakout racing. If the breakout racing classes are set up by time interval with nothing to do with the equipment being used (other than facility required tires) people coming in off the street will always have a class to run in. If a racer can't handle the speed of the breakout class they're in the race director can drop them down to the next lower class without having to change any equipment. The only thing really needed is a way to control the throttle end point of the transmitter. Hey, just another thought.

Richard
FunStuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 07:00 AM   #259
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

1: add min resistance #s to rules for each motor

2: step down to 21.5 and let rules stay as they are

3: handout motor (race promoters choice)

4: roar takes bids on a seasonal motor to be used (all non roar races follows suit at there events )

5: sensorless ESC new roar approved software

6: brushed handouts

7a: 25.5 the new stock
7b: only stock25.5/mod
(Don't fix 1/12tho)

8: motor claim rule ($80 paid to winner for his motor after event is over)

9:breakout

10: we continue to bi+π and moan...
jlfx car audio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 07:23 AM   #260
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Option 11 is still to quit the hobby. I just wonder if 25.5 is the "stock" solution since there seem to be limitations already in place.
ASM likes this.

Last edited by SpeedySST; 03-02-2017 at 07:42 AM.
SpeedySST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 02:10 PM   #261
Tech Regular

Quote:
Have you seen the prices today? Here a 23 turns:
Model car brushed motor Modelcraft Tuning 18924 rpm Turns: 23 from Conrad.com
No ESC of the month, no secret firmwares etc.
Brushed racing is the most expensive racing you can possibly find. In fact you could replace all 6 motors in the typical stock racers fleet with the new hand built boutique motors for far less.

Although I could probably find my Team Cobra comm lathe in the bottom of my junk drawer if we went that way. Every driver who raced a full season before 1999 can confirm this. I also have some serrated high silver brushes that will win any race. They will eat that armature in 10 runs so that it looks like it was mauled by a pit bull though.
Eddie_E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 02:22 PM   #262
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie_E View Post
Brushed racing is the most expensive racing you can possibly find. In fact you could replace all 6 motors in the typical stock racers fleet with the new hand built boutique motors for far less.

Although I could probably find my Team Cobra comm lathe in the bottom of my junk drawer if we went that way. Every driver who raced a full season before 1999 can confirm this. I also have some serrated high silver brushes that will win any race. They will eat that armature in 10 runs so that it looks like it was mauled by a pit bull though.

LOL now that was funny. I think I found some old silver brushes too but departed with my Xipp lathe a LONG time ago. I would ever go back to brushed motors. Way too much hassle.
Old 03-03-2017, 06:06 AM   #263
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:

yup... +1. Hella costly to run competitively. And required some serious motor setup knowledge and maintenance. Today all you need is $...

In both cases, it defies the "entry-class" purpose or the stock class.

Seriously... stop believing stock will ever be cheap. After a while, tweaking happens and it's out of whack. Mod for everyone so everyone but a selected few is overpowered and is forced to focus on throttle control instead of the waller. Or some "fast controlled class" like 10.5 boosted, that feels like 9 and 10 turn winds from bitd... We run mostly 13.5 boosted here and it reminds me of 12x2's. To me it's the sweet spot, fast and thrilling enough, not too overwhelming either on "normal" tracks with "normal" fingers

The train stops at the train station. The bus stops at the bus station. In my office I have a workstation.
Lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 06:13 AM   #264
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 69 (100%+)

Quote:

You remember this bad boy? I had one in my Losi XXX waaaaay back in the day. It was a bullet, but would do the same thing. I went through I don't know how many top input shafts on that car.

I would hate to see that thing on a 2s lipo
Attached Thumbnails
The future of stock brushless motors?-s-l225.jpg  
Old 03-03-2017, 06:20 AM   #265
Tech Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Roelof

Sometimes I believe that people who do not want to make stock a real and affordable stock are the people with all the tricks to go faster.......
CRFXXXT, jiml and HobbyPLEX like this.
Old 03-03-2017, 12:07 PM   #266
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Sometimes I believe that people who do not want to make stock a real and affordable stock are the people with all the tricks to go faster.......
WINNER!
HobbyPLEX likes this.
jiml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 01:21 PM   #267
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

The Future of TC racing Mod, 17.5 and 25.5, its coming
dawgmeat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 01:29 PM   #268
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 181 (100%+)

plain and simple anyone wants to race stock they have to run a hand out car and controller they walk up to tech get a car at the end of the race they give it back on the next heat they may get a different car than the previous heat. the only thing you bring to tech is your personal transponder
Marcos.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 04:30 PM   #269
Tech Apprentice

Haha. IROC.
Old 03-04-2017, 12:20 AM   #270
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcos.J View Post
plain and simple anyone wants to race stock they have to run a hand out car and controller they walk up to tech get a car at the end of the race they give it back on the next heat they may get a different car than the previous heat. the only thing you bring to tech is your personal transponder
The problem of this is the setup in the car not everyone is fast on the same setup. Might be ok for someone that has no idea about setting up a car
MontanaMaxx is offline   Reply With Quote