R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree123Likes

Old 02-26-2017, 05:07 PM   #151
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by niznai View Post
Yeah, we're not talking here about running our cars below freezing, are we? I know that chemistry needs some temperature to work, but did anyone actually check what is the optimal temperature for our batteries to work?

And it's not internal resistance decreasing, but the reaction speed that increases, which is perceived as a low(-er) internal resistance because you're using electrical parameters to measure it. Raise the temperature far enough and the reaction rate will drop. Keep raising it and you'll have an irreversible reaction (or a runaway reaction, a good time to run away - ha!).

My batteries (Muchmore run flat) have puffed up after a few cycles. I never abused them and only balance charged them, always balance discharge stored them. Less than one year later, very few races, puffed up. Waste of money. Similar things with Reedy, Orca HV and so on. Some survive, some die. Which to my mind says even buying top batteries is still a game of luck.
I was talking about your real car.

Eddie E posted that 100 degress farenheight was the number.

You can come up with all the scientific numbers you want. Heating LiPo's works.
jiml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 06:22 PM   #152
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 301 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmackhurry View Post
Regardless of the endless numbers everyone is throwing out to either explain, justify or to diminish... just hearing the words "stock motor" makes me laugh anymore. All I can do is shake my head when the boutique motors show up and the mains are now split into $180 main and $80 main. LOL, wait I forgot to include shipping.
Oh well stock was fun while it lasted.
Yes and No

The best motor in the world means nothing if you can't keep the car on the track. When the difference between a $180 motor and a $80 motor may be at best 0.5-1 second a lap, a crash can cost you 10-15 seconds in time getting marshalled etc. I get asked sometimes by people fairly new to a class what motor to get, and IMO it's the motor you have, motors come into play only when you can run a full race without crashing. Until then, money is better spent on handling / tyres / track time etc

Being old, I mainly run 21.5 and the motor I ran over the weekend cost me $66.90 USD plus freight from rcmart and laptime wise I wouldn't say it's any slower than the $150 Super Certified Ceramic bearing latest and greatest motor.

Fry crack corn and I don't care,
Leela crack corn, I still don't care,
Bender crack corn and he is great!
Take that you stupid corn!

nexxus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 06:49 PM   #153
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexxus View Post
Yes and No

The best motor in the world means nothing if you can't keep the car on the track. When the difference between a $180 motor and a $80 motor may be at best 0.5-1 second a lap, a crash can cost you 10-15 seconds in time getting marshalled etc. I get asked sometimes by people fairly new to a class what motor to get, and IMO it's the motor you have, motors come into play only when you can run a full race without crashing. Until then, money is better spent on handling / tyres / track time etc

Being old, I mainly run 21.5 and the motor I ran over the weekend cost me $66.90 USD plus freight from rcmart and laptime wise I wouldn't say it's any slower than the $150 Super Certified Ceramic bearing latest and greatest motor.
0.5-1 second a lap is huge. On one of my runs yesterday I finished middle of the pack, with the best consistency of the field. My fastest lap was 1 second per lap slower than the leaders fastest lap. Had I been 1 second per lap faster, I would have been a contender.

Sure, a hot motor won't help if you can't keep off the wall, but for those who do keep off the wall, it can make a massive difference. Mind you, I think my overweight TC3 was a bigger factor than my motor choice.
massenb203 likes this.
gigaplex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 07:07 PM   #154
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigaplex View Post
0.5-1 second a lap is huge. On one of my runs yesterday I finished middle of the pack, with the best consistency of the field. My fastest lap was 1 second per lap slower than the leaders fastest lap. Had I been 1 second per lap faster, I would have been a contender.

Sure, a hot motor won't help if you can't keep off the wall, but for those who do keep off the wall, it can make a massive difference. Mind you, I think my overweight TC3 was a bigger factor than my motor choice.
I think so

The Nimh cut outs on the battery side of the chassis would make the car behave differently left to right for a start (different flex characteristics)

Old 02-26-2017, 07:25 PM   #155
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 69 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigaplex View Post

My problem as well. I have a very good geared Fantom and was pulled 3-4 feet on teh straight by a team scream 21.5T, every lap

The motor is noticeably faster. If I would have had a TSR 21.5T today, good chance I could have won.

It was that much of a difference. THe TB-03 on a diet is down to 1390 Grams which still is 40 G over, but that is not why I can;t keep up.

That TSR 21.5T is a 17.5T in another can

Ridiculous and insane at the same time.
massenb203 likes this.
Old 02-26-2017, 10:03 PM   #156
Tech Champion

Given the length of time it seems to take getting a motor from TSR it's unlikely they'll be more than a flash in the pan. No doubt companies like Fantom and Trinity will match their performance and with the ability to actually fulfill orders rather than let lengthy back order queues build (while they have your $$ as well) people will switch. The latest and greatest means nothing if you can't keep churning out the orders in a reasonable time frame, one look at the TSR thread tells me that right now, they can't.

Old 02-27-2017, 05:04 AM   #157
Tech Adept

At the track that I race in the VTA class. The fast guy has the TSR 25.5 and the Awesomatix chasis and I had a Novak 25.5 with the TC10 and my fastest time was 4 second behind him. I purchased the new Hobbywing V10 25.5 and now I am 2 second behind him so now I will work with the motor timing and gearing to see if that will make a difference.

Team C Racing USA, TC10 2015
Ho-B Max RC Park
massenb203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 05:12 AM   #158
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by massenb203 View Post
At the track that I race in the VTA class. The fast guy has the TSR 25.5 and the Awesomatix chasis and I had a Novak 25.5 with the TC10 and my fastest time was 4 second behind him. I purchased the new Hobbywing V10 25.5 and now I am 2 second behind him so now I will work with the motor timing and gearing to see if that will make a difference.
The TSR 25.5 is not a updated motor and the IR of 25.5 is limited by the rules, so my guess is that your gearing is slightly off. I have seen Novak motors beat TSR, Fantom, and a few others (nod to Darkside) consistently.
DARKSIDE likes this.
mbykerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 05:24 AM   #159
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

If it mattters I've always liked Boutique motors??
Fatboys124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 09:58 AM   #160
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Well, I lost a little faith today when checking Amain hobbies and found that the new Monster motor in some sort of "certified plus" format is $175. My 1/12 scale kit didn't cost $175.
MontanaMaxx likes this.
Current rides: Diggity DC4 Chassis #10. Losi JRX-S Type R. CRC Xi (retired), CRC Altered Ego Aluminum Chassis. Associated B4 based dirt oval late model.
WTB: Carpet racing in Arizona.
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 01:13 PM   #161
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRat View Post
Well, I lost a little faith today when checking Amain hobbies and found that the new Monster motor in some sort of "certified plus" format is $175. My 1/12 scale kit didn't cost $175.
Doesn't the new "regular" version of the Maxzilla have the high torque rotor?
Eddie_E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 01:25 PM   #162
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRat View Post
And people wonder why on road is dying and we cant get new racers...
MontanaMaxx and Metalsoft like this.
Old 02-27-2017, 02:03 PM   #163
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

If nothing changes nothing changes, We are the ones that control what happens to the hobby!!! Am I guilty of thinking a new better than yesterday motor, Battery, car is going to make me faster YUP, Did it make me faster NO, There isn't a clear cut answer that will work for everyone.As long as we're willing to spend there will be someone there to take it!!!
massenb203 likes this.
Fatboys124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 02:33 PM   #164
Tech Fanatic

well all I got to say is we had 15 usgt cars at a club race....10 out of the 15 had the newer style motors...from TSR..MC2 & so on....I TQ'ED & won with the old Motiv motor...so I would say its more then motor...its driving & setup..& when I say setup...I just don't mean chassis..i mean radio..esc also...I work on my car all day until I took TQ in the 3rd round & the win in the main....all I'm saying is you can close the gap if you work on other parts other then motor...IJS
DARKSIDE and massenb203 like this.
Old 02-27-2017, 02:47 PM   #165
Tech Adept

IMO if you are being consistent with fast lap time and still getting beat. You might be out motor.
DARKSIDE, Metalsoft and Fatboys124 like this.

Team C Racing USA, TC10 2015
Ho-B Max RC Park
massenb203 is offline   Reply With Quote