Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree2Likes

Xray strong on power understeer

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2017, 01:50 PM
Tech Apprentice

I don't know guys.
The model with that tyres (hot race 28) and 25 lb springs was really good, the rear was solid, with the right grip, and finally I get enough amount of steering.
Ok it was an extreme situation that will not repeat in the future but I really can't explane it. That springs are used in 1/8 models, in the front!! Do you have some opinions about?
I know that used tyres are too soft, and different from front tyres, but was an exception, I always run 4 tyres with same compound.
Probably with hard compound I'll use softer rear springs, finding the right combination, but it's strange that this car needs hard rear springs, because I'm sure that in the final setup, hard springs will be necessary, no 25 lb, maybe something like 20 lb, and despite everything the rear will be solid. This is my sensation.

p.s no ring of death in my tyres with 20 runs of five minutes, but last time a rear tyre was destroyed
Old 03-22-2017, 03:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Easy, the hard springs make the car roll less, less roll means the camber changes less from what you set in the setup board, therefore the tire is better aligned most of the time. Some of us felt that with thick oil in the shocks, same concept, less roll. Roll doesn't mean grip.
Old 03-23-2017, 01:38 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by 30Tooth
Easy, the hard springs make the car roll less, less roll means the camber changes less from what you set in the setup board, therefore the tire is better aligned most of the time. Some of us felt that with thick oil in the shocks, same concept, less roll. Roll doesn't mean grip.
Ok but the real question is: why I need that and everyone never use hard springs? My setup now is that suggested by xray.
Old 03-23-2017, 02:13 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by maRRRco
Ok but the real question is: why I need that and everyone never use hard springs? My setup now is that suggested by xray.
Could be many things, do you use sauce? Do they use the same tires as you? Bodyshell... Driving,etc...
Old 03-23-2017, 03:08 AM
Tech Elite

....My setup now is that suggested by xray.
How was it 'suggested by Xray'?

It might be to do with the camber gain, try adding shims to the upper, inner rear link to free up the rear.
If you're still running a 3k rear diff, try going harder on the oil.

Do you have any pictures or video of the track?
Old 03-23-2017, 04:41 AM
Tech Apprentice

The body most used in the track is LTCR, or Montech IS-200. I run the protoform.
I tried 10k in the rear, with soft springs, but I didn't like it, the car understeer on power and oversteer off.
My setup now is totally close to that I found on xray website, for a T3 2012, with short camber link and proper shims. I mean this for "suggested by xray".
Yes, there are many things, but it's strange.

In this linked video, I'm driving my nitro converted car, not so fast and not ready at 100% for that track, so please don't consider that.
The problem with my xray is in the parabolic fast turn at your right, that should be ride from 0 to 80% throttle until the middle, then full.
I had to cut power under 50% to not approach the barriers, now I can go a little bit faster, but I loose 0.5s there.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJbao40D_Ao

Last edited by maRRRco; 03-23-2017 at 03:00 PM.
Old 03-23-2017, 02:44 PM
Tech Elite

The ones before the parabolic curve leading to the straight?
Old 03-23-2017, 02:58 PM
Tech Apprentice

No, it's the parabolic turn. There the car understeers.

Last edited by maRRRco; 03-23-2017 at 11:39 PM.
Old 03-23-2017, 03:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

So the on power sweeper that leads out onto the straight?
Old 03-23-2017, 04:24 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by DesertRat
So the on power sweeper that leads out onto the straight?
Yes, here it's called a parabolic like Monza's parabolica.

Then it's as I thought, tomorrow morning will send a PM with non-standard suggestion @Marco.
Old 03-24-2017, 01:55 PM
Tech Apprentice

Yes, here it's called a parabolic like Monza's parabolica.

Then it's as I thought, tomorrow morning will send a PM with non-standard suggestion @Marco.
Ok thank you.
Old 03-24-2017, 08:04 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Pictures

Can you do is a favor and take some close shots of your car with the body on from the side, close enough that we can see the entire body but not much else. Also make sure you are level to the car when taking the pictures. Then take some various pictures of the car without the body from above and from the side and from the front and back. I know this is extreme but maybe someone will spot something. Put them on imgur so we can see high resolution and as a album.
Old 03-25-2017, 11:12 AM
Tech Apprentice

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet
Old 03-25-2017, 01:37 PM
Tech Elite

Thanks for the pics, first thing that popped was the front tires have the inside shinier than the rear ones.
Old 03-25-2017, 01:49 PM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks for the pics, first thing that popped was the front tires have the inside shinier than the rear ones.
Yes but I never used that tyres, I put them only to take some pictures
The rear tyres used last time are identical to front one, pretty shiny inside, but one of them exploded, so I had to glue it and now are put away.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.