R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-07-2017, 01:55 PM   #16
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash74 View Post
My touring car was doing this when I first got it going. It turns out I did not calibrate the esc properly. Once calibrated, I have had no issues since.
When I get home I will tripple check that I am calibrating the esc correctly. Thanks
TXNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 01:57 PM   #17
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigaplex View Post
More expensive radios and ESCs have protection against this. I'm pretty sure the ezRun ESC has a lipo voltage cutoff feature, at a minimum ensure that it's enabled. Adding a glitch buster capacitor to the receiver might help a bit too.
Mine definitely has a voltage cutoff.I will check the status on that once I get home.

Thanks!
Old 02-07-2017, 04:07 PM   #18
Tech Rookie

*update*
I got home and took it out for a spin. I tried to keep under half throttle at all times.i definitely got more run time.about 10 minutes.I was mid turn then it took off again, this time in a donut because I was in the middle of a turn.the car wouldnt stop until I cut off the esc. It might not have been at full throttle, it very wellcould have lost control at whatever speed I was going at the time I lost control.also, the steering was locked, it was not under my control. It really seems like the battery is the issue,except for the fact that I tripple checked thebvolt cutoff on the esc and it did not cut off.
Old 02-07-2017, 04:41 PM   #19
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNE View Post
*update*
I got home and took it out for a spin. I tried to keep under half throttle at all times.i definitely got more run time.about 10 minutes.I was mid turn then it took off again, this time in a donut because I was in the middle of a turn.the car wouldnt stop until I cut off the esc. It might not have been at full throttle, it very wellcould have lost control at whatever speed I was going at the time I lost control.also, the steering was locked, it was not under my control. It really seems like the battery is the issue,except for the fact that I tripple checked thebvolt cutoff on the esc and it did not cut off.
It does sound like the combination of the underpowered battery and the cheap radio with no control loss protection is your issue. I'm surprised though that since the ESC cutoff wasn't triggered, you should still have at least 6V on average (or more, not sure of the exact cutoff voltage). Most receivers should be able to function at that voltage. I'm guessing your receiver doesn't recover gracefully from intermittent brownouts. I'd still suggest trying a glitch buster capacitor on the receiver, plugged into the BAT port.
gigaplex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 09:30 PM   #20
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Nimh packs don't need voltage cutoff... Why buy a receiver battery to power a RC car, when you can get a 5000+mah lipo pack for around $41 ??? Never run that nimh pack again ! You are killing your electronics with the cheap pack.....
bertrandsv87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 09:42 PM   #21
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertrandsv87 View Post
Nimh packs don't need voltage cutoff... Why buy a receiver battery to power a RC car, when you can get a 5000+mah lipo pack for around $41 ??? Never run that nimh pack again ! You are killing your electronics with the cheap pack.....
The NiMH packs themselves don't need cutoff to protect the pack, I was suggesting using it to prevent low voltage conditions from affecting the receiver. But I agree, the choice of battery is a problem.
gigaplex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 01:48 PM   #22
Tech Champion

Today's lipo packs are too cheap to ever get nimh packs, unless you want to use your batteries on your bump box...Receivers, servos, radios, etc, are very expensive.....

Last edited by bertrandsv87; 02-08-2017 at 02:10 PM.
bertrandsv87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 02:28 PM   #23
Tech Elite

sounds like you are losing signal and your fail safe is not set so that the ESC goes to neutral.
Old 02-08-2017, 03:02 PM   #24
Tech Rookie

I am heading out today to go buy a 2s lipo battery. I will update after I try a run with the 2s and see if that solves the problem.
Old 02-08-2017, 04:51 PM   #25
Tech Addict

While it absolutely might be a battery issue, don't let some of the comments on here (solely) dissuade you from NiMh. NiMh is a wonderfully resilient chemistry, especially for someone who might still be learning about the hobby, doesn't want to deal with the comparatively sensitive nature of LiPo's, etc.

Good luck!
gee-dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 12:19 PM   #26
Tech Rookie

So, I bought a 2s Lipo, and man what a difference!
I pluged it in and calibrated everything, set voltage cutoff etc, and then it started raining outside This is why I love the Bay Area! So i've been running it in the house on the carpet and can definitely tell a major difference in power. I can do donuts on carpet! With the nimh this as not possible. I can't wait for the rain to stop so I can give it a good run outside and see if the lipo solved my issue. I'm excited!
Old 02-09-2017, 12:31 PM   #27
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Make sure that you have a battery charger that will allow you balance charge the battery and do not charge the battery at a rate that exceeds the MAH rating of the Lipo. If it is a 5000MAH battery don't charge it at more than 5 amps on a charger that is rated for that chemistry. I would also recommend that until you are completely familiar with the battery and charger that you do your charging outdoors away from anything that is flammable. If that thing gets away there is no putting it out so do be extremely cautious. They will burn your house down.
mleemor60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 02:48 PM   #28
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mleemor60 View Post
Make sure that you have a battery charger that will allow you balance charge the battery and do not charge the battery at a rate that exceeds the MAH rating of the Lipo. If it is a 5000MAH battery don't charge it at more than 5 amps on a charger that is rated for that chemistry. I would also recommend that until you are completely familiar with the battery and charger that you do your charging outdoors away from anything that is flammable. If that thing gets away there is no putting it out so do be extremely cautious. They will burn your house down.
Thanks for the tips! Ive been reading up on batteries and chargers the last few days. I know ill need a lipo balance charger at least 50watts, around 5amp charge rate. Man, batteries are interesting!
Old 02-09-2017, 03:22 PM   #29
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

For the money look at the Sky or Imax B-5 or B-6. They are available in DC, AC or AC/DC. Max charge rate is 5A balance plugs built in and full featured. Ni-Cad, NIMH, Lion, Lipo and PB. I have used them for bashing for several years without drama. Find a steel Surplus Ammo can too, just in case.
mleemor60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 03:29 PM   #30
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mleemor60 View Post
For the money look at the Sky or Imax B-5 or B-6. They are available in DC, AC or AC/DC. Max charge rate is 5A balance plugs built in and full featured. Ni-Cad, NIMH, Lion, Lipo and PB. I have used them for bashing for several years without drama. Find a steel Surplus Ammo can too, just in case.
Thanks for the suggestions! I was already looking at the imaxes