R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree14Likes

Old 06-28-2017, 01:32 AM   #76
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drift_Buggy View Post
Traxxas need to bring this out with a 21.5T motor and they got themselves a winner.
I'd still put my silver can powered TT02 Type S against this car any day.
Old 06-28-2017, 06:01 AM   #77
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nortran11 View Post
I'd still put my silver can powered TT02 Type S against this car any day.
I've heard of the Tamiya silver can. But don't know much about it. They way the 4Tec is it could really only race against itself. Or maybe the Vaterra I ran in last video. Gearing options are currently to limited. I'm still new to racing. But it's done good on the layout I run F1/USGT on. I'm planning to try the new VTA tires that Protoform is releasing. That's what the one group I know of had planned to use if they could get a spec class for it.

Little over a year ago I would have thought racing could work with it. But I've had a mindset change with RTR and racing. I do think a form of RTR racing is needed.
Billy Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 06:05 AM   #78
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drift_Buggy View Post
Traxxas need to bring this out with a 21.5T motor and they got themselves a winner.
I can't see that happening. While I did expect a brushless version to follow, from what store owner has heard, Traxxas has no plans to. Price would be too high for the limited market touring cars have. Besides, they know that what most will do on their own.
Old 06-29-2017, 11:31 PM   #79
Tech Apprentice

The 4tec, like the V100....is a parking lot cruiser. These cars are onroad versions of bashers. They line up in a USGT or VTA race next to serious cars, they will constantly be at the back of the pack.
Old 06-30-2017, 05:16 AM   #80
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nortran11 View Post
The 4tec, like the V100....is a parking lot cruiser. These cars are onroad versions of bashers. They line up in a USGT or VTA race next to serious cars, they will constantly be at the back of the pack.
I agree that it's not meant for either USGT or VTA. It took me getting into running USGT to fully understand why. Currently there is only 1 RTR designed for touring car racing. The BSR BT-4. But it's not easy to find the RTR version

The director of the group in racing with did do laps with my 4Tec. And thought a spec class could work for it. And I know of a group that was trying to get one formed. But hasn't been able to get people to commit to it yet.
Old 10-05-2017, 01:06 AM   #81
Tech Rookie

Default Spur gear options

I am converting my traxxas 4 tec 2.0 to run in VTA but am wondering if they will release some spur gear options lower than the 48 pitch, 70 tooth. Is there another spur gear that will work on the traxxas 4 tec 2.0?

This chassis could be great for VTA, I think in the right hands it could be a threat any day of the week, the gearing is my biggest issue, right now the lowest I can get the fdr is 4.74 using a 31 tooth pinion with the 70 tooth spur.

Are you there Traxxas, any spur options on the way for the 4 tec 2.0?
chuck in indy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 06:56 AM   #82
Tech Elite

I think there is a second spur gear option for the brushless version. Thought I saw it list a 55t spur.
Old 10-06-2017, 10:32 AM   #83
Tech Rookie

We found the 55 tooth spur, Traxxas part 8358, but looks as if they come out middle of November or are all out of stock right now.

Someone told me a Tamiya conversion kit, Tamiya part 54500, might work that allows you to use any kind of spur so will look in to that. Hopefully Traxxas or someone else makes a few hop ups for 4tec 2.0.

Only draw back to chassis so far in my opinion is lack of gearing options.

Last edited by chuck in indy; 10-06-2017 at 10:36 AM. Reason: Added part numbers
chuck in indy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 03:10 PM   #84
Tech Master

I've talked to Chuck in Indy about this. I'm hoping our local RC club can add the 4Tec as a 100% Box Stock class for new racers and racers that like stock classes. We ran them as a class last weekend at a Hoosier RC Racers on-road event. Unfortunately most of them were brushless, and as a result, way too much power for the track and tires. That's cool if you are trying to set the neighborhood speed record in the street in front of your house with your buddies, but not for racing. Here is a video of one of the heats. There are a couple of TT-02's mixed in.

https://www.facebook.com/HRCRacers/v...2903310173236/

Maybe Traxxas will come out with some softer tires for racing. They will if we are all vocal about it I bet.

Are there better RTR's out there for on-road? Maybe yes. But you can't argue that Traxxas out markets all the other manufacturers combined. So, for new people getting into the sport/hobby, they are likely considering Traxxas anyway. And, Traxxas has great customer service too. Our hope is for example, a new father/son team could go to their LHS and buy Traxxas 4Tecs, show up to the track and race the exact same car as everyone else. The Traxxas Slash did that for On-road. There's a Stock Slash class at about every track in the country. I travel a lot for work and I always have a Slash in the truck so if there's a local track, I can run.
USVTA #144
IndyHobbies.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 06:05 PM   #85
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 111 (100%+)

I was watching racing from revolution raceway in Oshkosh this afternoon. They have a 4tec spec class.