Search
Like Tree5Likes

Traxxas 4 Tec 2.0

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2017, 06:17 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)
Default Traxxas 4 Tec 2.0

Could this do to On Road what the Slash did for Off Road?

https://m.traxxas.com/products/landing/ford-gt/

Last edited by Logi Maker; 02-02-2017 at 06:19 PM. Reason: Title change
Old 02-02-2017, 06:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Logi Maker
Could this do to On Road what the Slash did for Off Road?

https://m.traxxas.com/products/landing/ford-gt/
Seriously Kyle, should we start to call you a Traxxas Fanboy now? I saw your post in the NW forum and this could be a good cross over car but in my opinion, we should wait for some of them to be purchased by new racers before we start trying to promote them in anyway. There would have to be yet another new class offered. There is already too many.

Steve
Old 02-02-2017, 06:59 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 78 (100%+)
Exclamation

"Our most adjustable chassis yet!".......shows picture of fixed link suspension.
Old 02-02-2017, 07:08 PM
Tech Fanatic

This could potentially bridge a gap from the average RC basher market to the onroad community. Time will tell!
Old 02-02-2017, 07:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

awesome
Old 02-02-2017, 07:33 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by corallyman
Seriously Kyle, should we start to call you a Traxxas Fanboy now? I saw your post in the NW forum and this could be a good cross over car but in my opinion, we should wait for some of them to be purchased by new racers before we start trying to promote them in anyway. There would have to be yet another new class offered. There is already too many.

Steve
Not trying to promote anything.. just curious on what might happen...

Not like you race anymore anywhere anyways to find out. Guess you will need to follow the thread....
Old 02-02-2017, 07:35 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

It should give road cars some much needed exposure. It's basically against the Hpi Sport3 and Vaterra V100. In brushed form.
I'm suprised they went brushed actually. But I'm guessing a brushless could be coming. And also guessing that maybe original GT40 body
Old 02-02-2017, 07:42 PM
Tech Champion

The Slash got more people into the hobby than any other platform in recent history. Ran them box stock and had a blast... the SC10 came out and 6.5 were dropped in and changed the game.

For $300 RTR, Traxxas durability and parts support.... this may do some good for the sport. The 1/16 Rally cars were thought to be the entry level but way over powered brushless gear was too much IMHO...

Should be fun to see if anything happens...
Old 02-02-2017, 07:45 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by skater-deez1
"Our most adjustable chassis yet!".......shows picture of fixed link suspension.
LOL... Nothing some Lunsford turnbuckles won't fix.
Old 02-02-2017, 08:04 PM
Tech Adept

I love the ford GT, just the sexiest car ever.
Nice entry level kit though.

uhh.. nothing looks adjustable lol
Old 02-02-2017, 08:10 PM
Tech Champion

I'm sure a little wrenching would get it track worthy... thing about it though... box stock with maybe a lipo would keep everything simple and even. That's what the Slash class was. All about driving and little mods....
Old 02-02-2017, 08:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

They are simply taking it to the 'next level'... touring cars today (GT10 class) are constantly looking for that 'low slung beast' of a body to run. And the more realistic, the better... assuming it actually handles well... I would have to say this is the most realistic RC Replica to date. Just add your favorite optional 'race wing' (Tamiya has some nice selections) and this body will be ready to hit the GT10 class. We all know TARXXAS isn't really looking to win an IFMAR title, but this has some cool innovations that I think some of the more 'race intended' manufacturers will adapt to their platforms (i.e. Lower rear camber links, staggered Fr/Rr trac) in hopes to make more body options possible...

I love the idea...
Old 02-02-2017, 08:25 PM
Tech Elite

I'm going to preface this post by saying I would love any/all of the r/c on-road car companies to promote the hobby more. HPI and Tamiya have made decent efforts by promoting their own products/holding races throughout the USA. But unless Traxxas puts in a lot of effort to organize and/or promote the actual racing of these cars, I doubt it will be the miracle product that makes on-road racing the king in the r/c world.

It looks like the base model price (according to their website) will be $300. That is for a model that comes with a brushed speed control, 7-cell nihm and a their 12-turn motor. That combo should be fast enough to have fun with on any surface without being out of control. However, that combo doesn't align with any nationally recognized classes at this time. That's not to say that it wouldn't be a good base for a local/club class, but it will be too fast for a beginner to handle on most of the indoor tracks in the USA.

So who is this kit being marketed to? Racers or Bashers?

If it is for bashers, there are already similar cars out there with several RTR kits that cost less that $300 (Tamiya/Vaterra/HPI/Associated). Maybe this Traxxas car will be a better quality than cars at this price point and could potentially be raced. But the reality is most cars at this price never see a race track or only race in classes specifically for a specific type/brand of car.

If it is for racers, then people will either need to wait for an upgraded version or spend money to upgrade the base model. But based on the pricing of the Traxxas Slash brushed vs. brushless, any upgraded on-road car will probably cost at least $100 more or somewhere close to $400 and still probably wouldn't include electronics that could be used in most established on-road classes. Maybe they will sell a version with no speed control/motor for people who want to race.

So in the end I have to ask, what impact will this have for actual organized on-road racing? I don't know. But based on what has been released, there are better/less expensive options for people who want to race existing classes and plenty of decent or similar options for people who want to bash and/or drift.

-----------

One last point. Did any of you actually see anyone from Traxxas at your local track promoting the Slash when it was released? Probably not. The Slash was popular because existing people in or around the hobby saw the potential for the Slash to be bashed AND also raced. It was cheap, durable, and could be played with just about anywhere.
Old 02-02-2017, 08:38 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by IndyRC_Racer
I'm going to preface this post by saying I would love any/all of the r/c on-road car companies to promote the hobby more. HPI and Tamiya have made decent efforts by promoting their own products/holding races throughout the USA. But unless Traxxas puts in a lot of effort to organize and/or promote the actual racing of these cars, I doubt it will be the miracle product that makes on-road racing the king in the r/c world.

It looks like the base model price (according to their website) will be $300. That is for a model that comes with a brushed speed control, 7-cell nihm and a their 12-turn motor. That combo should be fast enough to have fun with on any surface without being out of control. However, that combo doesn't align with any nationally recognized classes at this time. That's not to say that it wouldn't be a good base for a local/club class, but it will be too fast for a beginner to handle on most of the indoor tracks in the USA.

So who is this kit being marketed to? Racers or Bashers?

If it is for bashers, there are already similar cars out there with several RTR kits that cost less that $300 (Tamiya/Vaterra/HPI/Associated). Maybe this Traxxas car will be a better quality than cars at this price point and could potentially be raced. But the reality is most cars at this price never see a race track or only race in classes specifically for a specific type/brand of car.

If it is for racers, then people will either need to wait for an upgraded version or spend money to upgrade the base model. But based on the pricing of the Traxxas Slash brushed vs. brushless, any upgraded on-road car will probably cost at least $100 more or somewhere close to $400 and still probably wouldn't include electronics that could be used in most established on-road classes. Maybe they will sell a version with no speed control/motor for people who want to race.

So in the end I have to ask, what impact will this have for actual organized on-road racing? I don't know. But based on what has been released, there are better/less expensive options for people who want to race existing classes and plenty of decent or similar options for people who want to bash and/or drift.
Well said. Will it impact current touring car racing. Don't think so. Maybe a club might try a class. What it can do is expose touring cars to people that wouldn't normally not even consider one.
In the basher world touring cars are mostly seen as fragile and boring.
Old 02-02-2017, 08:43 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by OSherman
They are simply taking it to the 'next level'... touring cars today (GT10 class) are constantly looking for that 'low slung beast' of a body to run. And the more realistic, the better... assuming it actually handles well... I would have to say this is the most realistic RC Replica to date. Just add your favorite optional 'race wing' (Tamiya has some nice selections) and this body will be ready to hit the GT10 class. We all know TARXXAS isn't really looking to win an IFMAR title, but this has some cool innovations that I think some of the more 'race intended' manufacturers will adapt to their platforms (i.e. Lower rear camber links, staggered Fr/Rr trac) in hopes to make more body options possible...

I love the idea...
Did you know that Protoform already released their version of the Ford GT for pan cars that is pretty realistic. They are supposed to be working on a version of that body for touring cars also.

There are also several versions of existing 1.10 touring cars that can use many of the very low slung bodies that mainly only work on pan cars (Several Tamiya chassis/Awesomatix).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.