Wiki Posts
Search

Improving Onroad Club Racing

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2017, 11:41 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Improving Onroad Club Racing

How can we improve club racing on local the level? I realize there are clubs/tracks that are doing well, but onroad on the whole is in decline at a club level. Suggesstions?
Old 01-29-2017, 11:52 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 78 (100%+)
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by CypressMidWest
How can we improve club racing on local the level? I realize there are clubs/tracks that are doing well, but onroad on the whole is in decline at a club level. Suggesstions?
Friendlier and more helpful usually works better than being elitists and somewhat douchey. I travel to a good many tracks that couldn't really care any less about new people as long as the regulars and pro guys are taken care of. No real way of changing that I'd suppose......business as usual in rc. Many of those tracks don't warrant a second visit, the good ones I have no issue going back to but I'd bet I'm not the only person whose noticed this. Feel free to tell me I'm an idiot but these are basic eye test things.
Old 01-29-2017, 12:00 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Make it more about door to door racing and less about terminal velocity and the kibble of the week. Do more to embrace the newcomer and help him with the equipment he has as opposed to handing him a glass of Jim Jones finest and telling him he must drink. The list can go on forever but I think you catch the drift. Most groups that fail destroy themselves from the inside by fighting among the members instead of acting rationally for the good of the group. Take a step back and look at it as an outsider and then decide if it is something and someone you want to spend what will amount a two week vacation or more every year sharing an interest with.
Old 01-29-2017, 12:16 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

entry class.

There really isn't one. VTA, USGT, or whatever isn't really the answer. There isn't an onroad car that is just about RTR like a Traxxas Slash. Something that a new kid or person could buy, race, and take home and run. As silly as the Slash might seem to some, it is a great entry car to offroad.
Old 01-29-2017, 12:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Nexus
entry class.

There really isn't one. VTA, USGT, or whatever isn't really the answer. There isn't an onroad car that is just about RTR like a Traxxas Slash. Something that a new kid or person could buy, race, and take home and run. As silly as the Slash might seem to some, it is a great entry car to offroad.
There is the team associated Apex series, and the Vaterra cars, but both are probably too fast for new racers
Old 01-29-2017, 12:34 PM
Tech Elite

I often wonder why people want to treat "new guys" like handicaps.. there was no newbie class when most of us started racing. Its cheaper and simpler today than ever before. The reason newbies don't stay around is the same reason old skool guys keep quitting. The racing is bad and way to many classes. Most of us were interested in this back in the day because there were 30-40 or more guys and it was a challenge. Now there are 5 guys in 7 different classes and someone is lapping the field in every class.
Old 01-29-2017, 01:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Help people. When new racers are starting out they are often completely out of control due to bad setup and don't know what to do to fix it. I knew a guy whose car was spinning out in every corner due to the chassis dragging and he didn't even know, he was just applying the off-road tuning advice of softening the rear when you oversteer and a swap of springs and a sway bar had his car a lot closer to sorted out. Knowledge and some time on a real setup board can take a car from undrivable to pretty decent.
Old 01-29-2017, 02:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

To help club racing, people need to understand that some people will never want to race a nationally organized class. The people who race these classes never travel and usually show up each week and help support the local club/track. We need to make these people feel welcome during club racing. We also need to stop trying to force them into a "real" class. They are having fun and we should just let them.

----------

Some other advice is to design the track layouts so there are no long straights. While many might balk at this idea, it really minimizes the motor of the moment problems that often plague larger tracks.

----------

And finally, it is club racing not a national event. Help others, make friends, and make sure everyone is having a good time.
Old 01-29-2017, 03:05 PM
Tech Fanatic

One of the hardest things for me (as someone who has been in the sport for less than a year) is dealing with the bad attitudes. When long time racers get upset because you don't get out of their way fast enough... there is a problem.
Old 01-29-2017, 03:52 PM
Tech Master

An entry level car would help,the next step would be to keep the experienced drivers out of the class. Let the new guys compete with each other rather than against a guy with years of experince and who also runs 1/2th, mod ect.
classes.

Originally Posted by Nexus
entry class.

Old 01-29-2017, 04:05 PM
Tech Apprentice

I am a newcomer to onroad carpet racing and feel quite lucky to have two tracks close to me with great people at both. Honestly I think the manufacturers of these cars and parts need to have a serious discussion about advertising and providing some lifeline to clubs.
Old 01-29-2017, 04:22 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by outlandr91
An entry level car would help,the next step would be to keep the experienced drivers out of the class. Let the new guys compete with each other rather than against a guy with years of experince and who also runs 1/2th, mod ect.
classes.
I think it's good to have inexperienced racers drive with experienced guys, as long as the experienced guys have the right attitude. It helps the inexperienced guys learn better lines by trying to follow the fast guy. That's how I've improved over the last year.
Old 01-29-2017, 04:22 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

One club in our area runs a box stock Apex 1/18 class. I think this is a great idea! One bad thing is they also still run a Mini class, what most consider another "toy" class. Too many toy classes and not many move up to competition classes. Another club in our area tends to start people out at "Prolite", a 21.5 1/12 class with PF12 bodies. This actually does work as people tend to move up to stock 1/12. But there is no "Go to the LHS and pick up this box". Even if this is the most efficient/cheapest overall way into competition racing, it's a bit intimidating to those walking in the door.
Personally, I agree with less classes and shorter club nights. 4 classes max. 4 minute heats, 6 minute mains. Save the the long race days for full race days.
Old 01-29-2017, 04:44 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Like food stamps and welfare. That takes me back to the early 80's when at least one of the manufacturer's kept a "buzz box" on their trackside pit tables. When there was someone from another team outperforming them that driver would mysteriously lose control of his car as it passed by their pit. Once it was hit by the rest of the field it would suddenly regain signal and dive off. If it could. It is a wonderful thing to have a manufacturer sponsor an event or facility as long as that is all they do. Support us but not make policy for us. I think that ROAR is a great operation. I wonder where we would all be if they could keep the manufacturer's from pulling the strings(my opinion).

I don't think that there is a problem with the local hero's participating in a box stock class, IF, their input on how to make it better or more competitive or cheaper is ignored by the track operator. There is much to be gained from their experience as long as they are just competitors. When we had a local track the favorite class became the "box stock" class. The fast guys were still the fast guys but everybody would finish on the same lap. That in itself boosted beginner confidence. Sure they got beat but not by being out spent or out supported. Once a new guy sees that stick time is what will get him the next main higher he starts to gain some confidence. Then and only then should he begin to think about the next rung on the ladder.

Let it be known to the local stars that the responsibility for the pass rests with the person doing the passing. If the rookie holds his line and you hit him then it is you that should get yelled at. After all you are the pro. If the rookie is all over the place then take the time to instruct him on how to hold his line so he can be passed cleanly. If at the local level you are using reverse to cut down on marshaling let it be taught not to back out into traffic in an attempt to hurry to the next board meeting. Rookies need to be taught courtesy and track etiquette. The best way to do that is by example.
Old 01-29-2017, 05:17 PM
Tech Initiate

Wow sounds like a lot of you have a lot of different responses and reasons. That's too bad seems like there's a lot to be worked on. I'm brand new, jumped in head first bought a used BD7 just to bash around and have fun with. I live in NH and there is literally NOTHING! If I wanted to race I would have to travel to Conneticut. It just seems like it never really took off up here. When I was a teenager I remember my brother and I used to go to a body shop nearby where they raced for fun. It was great! About 20-25 guys all very friendly and accepting. We all helped each other out . This is back when my Futaba Tx was a tan box with a wheel on the left and a stick for throttle.
Sorry didn't mean to take this in another direction. But I guess what I'm sayin is that if I was hell bent on traveling to a real track 2-3hrs away, and if what you are describing was the general attitude there it would leave a bad taste for me and I would never attempt it again.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.