R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree1Likes

Old 01-27-2017, 05:10 PM   #1
Tech Initiate

Default USGT OR VTA

Looking for thoughts on starting in either class. I am ready to add electronics to my TC7.1 and get wheels and tires. I already have a PF z28 and love the modern style of GT. My issue is, I just started racing off road last fall and still new to racing. I prefer the GT look but wondering if VTA is the better way to go while learning on road racing.

If I go with VTA is where can I find Camaro or z28 in stock, seems like every one is out of stock.

BTW I know 7.1 is beyond my driving skills but wife got me the kit for Xmas. I love building probably more then racing and she gets me kits and I get everything to make them go.
RC_Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 05:12 PM   #2
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Im curious as well since the VTA tires and wheels were all HPI Racing which seems to have disappeared.
Old 01-27-2017, 05:18 PM   #3
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

The best advice I can give you is to go to your local track and see what the most popular classes are. No sense in buying stuff for a dying class. Many guys say off-road guys have an advantage over on road guys because they have better throttle control. I hope I his does not start a war..... At the end of the day it is all about fun.......lastly there is more attention to set up in on road.....but your car does not need extensive cleaning from orange dirt---outside racing
SouthFloridaApp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 05:20 PM   #4
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

both
Sept 21-24th @ Thunder RC Raceway
1172 Park Ave, Murfreesboro, TN 37129
DARKSIDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 06:12 PM   #5
Tech Regular

my track used to run VTA and USGT in the same "scale spec" class....truth is, after a while people stopped running VTA because the tires/bodies were actually not as fast as the USGT built cars. Honest truth. the VTA tires are wide and scrub speed more than you think they would.

VTA looks nostalgic, but when you see the USGT cars always in front, it got frustrating.
i retired my VTA car after one season.
F1-VBC LightningF
TENCHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 07:45 PM   #6
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

USGT is blistering fast. I built my old TC5 into a USGT car and have never run it. I prefer VTA because USGT is all about having the fastest motor of the week and 21.5s have gotten out of control just like 17.5s have. I have a certified D4 1s 17.5 in my TC6.2 and had one of the regulars with a USGT car that I could not pass on the straight.

VTA motor rules are a lot more strict and the selection is a lot lower, and among the motors that are approved there is not a HUGE difference between them. The problem right now as someone has stated is that VTA tires are getting a little scarce while HPI gets their shit together with being bought out. I would hope that is coming to an end soon as we have seen a lot of our D413 parts coming off of backorder. The track I race at has loosened up the rules a little for club races allowing the performance tires to be used because they are a bit easier to get a hold of.

I would honestly go to the track you plan on racing at and check out both classes and make your decision that way. But I will say that the door to door racing of VTA is absolutely amazing.
Old 01-27-2017, 07:58 PM   #7
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Quick question. What is the best battery to get for our classes for the most punch and a difference that you can notice from other battery's ? Best brand
I see promatch smc what else. Need ur guys input
Rcforlife13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 08:04 PM   #8
Tech Master

VTA has a 6000 mah limit, has to be ROAR approved. So buy whatever you think is the best or your preferred brand. I use the Trinity white Carbon, its only 5000mah but I bought it right before the rule change and do good enough with it.

Asking on here is gonna get you 6798459 answers. In USGT/17.5 TC I run Gens Ace, they work and they are cheap.
Old 01-27-2017, 08:38 PM   #9
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I would say VTA but that is only because it is more fun to drive a slow thing fast then a fast thing slow. I learned to race sport bikes in a 500cc class so it might just appear to me.
djgrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 05:00 AM   #10
Tech Initiate

Thanks guys all great info. I plan on heading to one of the tracks that has both classes tomorrow. Just wish it was closer like my off road tracks.

My biggest issue was what most have confirmed. I think VTA is best to start with same motor and tires but I just can't locate a body I like. I will search today and see what I can find.

I will post what I learn at the track.
Old 01-28-2017, 05:18 AM   #11
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcforlife13 View Post
Quick question. What is the best battery to get for our classes for the most punch and a difference that you can notice from other battery's ? Best brand
I see promatch smc what else. Need ur guys input
I use to buy the most expensive and newest batteries available since I race 17.5 tc and usgt. But I was noticing people with GenAce batteries with the same power as me for a 3rd of the cost. So I switched to GenAce 2 months ago. I won all my usgt races so far. And finished second in 17.5 every time. Even if the batteries don't last as long. I'll be ok with that. Cause they are so inexpensive in price
Juan Aveytia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 06:50 AM   #12
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC_Ed View Post
Thanks guys all great info. I plan on heading to one of the tracks that has both classes tomorrow. Just wish it was closer like my off road tracks.

My biggest issue was what most have confirmed. I think VTA is best to start with same motor and tires but I just can't locate a body I like. I will search today and see what I can find.

I will post what I learn at the track.
I too am a VTA beginner. So far I have found that the area racers in VTA more than willing to give and share information than I ever found over the years with the rest of the scale. There seems to be much less due's paying and generally being taken out by the designated hitter until you are found worthy or have expended enough disposable income to show that you are going to stick around. The fact that virtually everything of importance is spec'ed out you don't have to be worried about the part of the week and can concentrate on your set up and driving skills.

As for body selection, I am sure it will soon improve with the HPI re-org. Until then it doesn't much matter which body since you are quite likely going to be a little hard on it anyway. The tires and wheels are readily available but you have to search a little bit. I personally have had no trouble at all finding them over the counter. I haven't necessarily been able to find everything in one shop but have located all I need none the less. I have also picked up a good number of new and used sets through this forum. I am perhaps a bit luckier than some others in that I am retired and have more time to browse various sites in search of what I want.

I have attended a couple of events in preparation for my own debut. I have found the VTA guys to be more open and friendly than any of the other competitors. They want their class to grow and prosper while many others piss and moan about low turn out while vehemently trying to protect whatever edge they think they have from being legislated out by a pending rules change that might actually help their flavor of Kool-Aid grow to new levels. Just from the standpoint of infighting and politics within the ranks the only choice I would consider is VTA.
mleemor60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 07:12 AM   #13
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by mleemor60 View Post
I too am a VTA beginner. So far I have found that the area racers in VTA more than willing to give and share information than I ever found over the years with the rest of the scale. There seems to be much less due's paying and generally being taken out by the designated hitter until you are found worthy or have expended enough disposable income to show that you are going to stick around. The fact that virtually everything of importance is spec'ed out you don't have to be worried about the part of the week and can concentrate on your set up and driving skills.

As for body selection, I am sure it will soon improve with the HPI re-org. Until then it doesn't much matter which body since you are quite likely going to be a little hard on it anyway. The tires and wheels are readily available but you have to search a little bit. I personally have had no trouble at all finding them over the counter. I haven't necessarily been able to find everything in one shop but have located all I need none the less. I have also picked up a good number of new and used sets through this forum. I am perhaps a bit luckier than some others in that I am retired and have more time to browse various sites in search of what I want.

I have attended a couple of events in preparation for my own debut. I have found the VTA guys to be more open and friendly than any of the other competitors. They want their class to grow and prosper while many others piss and moan about low turn out while vehemently trying to protect whatever edge they think they have from being legislated out by a pending rules change that might actually help their flavor of Kool-Aid grow to new levels. Just from the standpoint of infighting and politics within the ranks the only choice I would consider is VTA.
Well I located a 1971 Z28 and a 68 Camaro so I got both since bodies don't last forever and I love Chevy. Owned three Camaros myself and currently have a 11' SS.

Cant wait to go tomorrow to pick up some other goodies to get this going. Great to hear someone who is retired is still into this hobby. Off road has a share of older guys such as myself but the young ones smoke us. I am 48 this year and wish I started this in my 20s & 30s when I was doing RC planes.
Old 01-28-2017, 07:46 AM   #14
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I turned 70 this month and have been involved since 82. Never did 1/10th scale. When it first popped up I was a driver for MRP and the boss sent me a whole box full of 1/10th offroad stuff. I went to one race and sent it all back with a note stating that if I had to do that then I quit. 1/8th on road was as nasty as I was interested in. I have tried to watch a couple of offroad events including the "World's when they were held near by at a now defunct place called "The Farm". Stayed ten minutes. It appears to me that, that portion of the hobby is for wanna be flier's that just haven't progressed to the point of staying off the ground or are afraid of what lurks in the Tall grass and weeds where their pride and joy went to hide and escape further destruction.

If you would, PM me where you found those bodies. If there are any left. Those would be my favorites as well.
mleemor60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 07:50 AM   #15
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by mleemor60 View Post

Truer words have never been spoken. Too much kool-aid And that is coming from someone who runs 17.5 buggy and is starting up a 13.5 4x4 buggy at our local track.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC_Ed View Post
Well I located a 1971 Z28 and a 68 Camaro so I got both since bodies don't last forever and I love Chevy. Owned three Camaros myself and currently have a 11' SS.

Cant wait to go tomorrow to pick up some other goodies to get this going. Great to hear someone who is retired is still into this hobby. Off road has a share of older guys such as myself but the young ones smoke us. I am 48 this year and wish I started this in my 20s & 30s when I was doing RC planes.
The 71 is not yet ROAR legal but I am sure that Protoform has made it to ROAR spec and it will be approved soon. Most tracks are allowing it in VTA. The 68 Camaro is one of my favorites. I actually have both myself.