R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree1Likes

Old 01-28-2017, 12:48 PM   #31
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by djgrom View Post
I would say VTA but that is only because it is more fun to drive a slow thing fast then a fast thing slow. I learned to race sport bikes in a 500cc class so it might just appear to me.
^Agreed.
I, personally, am in the process of learning how to drive on a track without ending up with a pile of cracked plastic and bent aluminum at the end of the night. I kind of prefer the actual building part of the hobby myself but after 6-8 months of buying crap I've ended up with some of the crap actually drivable, and considering I have (what I have heard from countless others) one of the greatest tracks of all time and space a few miles from my domecile, and an amazing group of fellas that are willing to lend a hand or critique or even give a newb a silver, slightly used mustang body to get said newb started in VTA. The support was mainly what set me in the vta direction. I have different cars setup for vta,usgt,wgt,17.5tc,etc. (Even though I can barely walk the track on my feet without hitting a wall let alone drive any sort of vehicle in any semblance of conscience control around said track)so recently i was in the same position of choosing a class. If it wasn't for a certain caped crusader I probably would have gone in a couple times, got frustrated, and left never to have gone back, but this guy took it upon himself to introduce himself and offer advice or a part or answers and that made me feel welcome, and like I wanted to be part of something that attracted participants like that,and maybe one day I could be that guy to some newb. That personal experience is, I assume, what this hobby needs to thrive into the future. So, in summation, Darkside is right, go talk to the other guys running vta and/or usgt and see if you click with any of them, after all this is a "social" gathering, the racing is secondary (to some .
roosterreagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 01:13 PM   #32
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

2017 USVTA Indoor Carpet Nationals!
Sept 21-24th @ Thunder RC Raceway
1172 Park Ave, Murfreesboro, TN 37129
DARKSIDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 01:41 PM   #33
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DARKSIDE View Post
sorry...but nope....not going to happen
LOL yeah because we've never heard that before. 13.5 is stock, no wait its 17.5 oops now its 21.5. To say anything will "never" happen is naive and those of us who have been in the hobby a long time know better than to believe something will "never" change.
Old 01-28-2017, 01:46 PM   #34
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKeasler View Post
Actually it is approved
Quote:
humm....U.S.VTA has it legal.....thats where you need to check for rules

http://www.usvintagetransam.com/
I checked two weeks ago when I got mine and it was not on the list. Must have just happened recently. I know how to check the rules, I just dont do it every day.
Old 01-28-2017, 01:52 PM   #35
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by roosterreagan View Post
^Agreed.
I, personally, am in the process of learning how to drive on a track without ending up with a pile of cracked plastic and bent aluminum at the end of the night. I kind of prefer the actual building part of the hobby myself but after 6-8 months of buying crap I've ended up with some of the crap actually drivable, and considering I have (what I have heard from countless others) one of the greatest tracks of all time and space a few miles from my domecile, and an amazing group of fellas that are willing to lend a hand or critique or even give a newb a silver, slightly used mustang body to get said newb started in VTA. The support was mainly what set me in the vta direction. I have different cars setup for vta,usgt,wgt,17.5tc,etc. (Even though I can barely walk the track on my feet without hitting a wall let alone drive any sort of vehicle in any semblance of conscience control around said track)so recently i was in the same position of choosing a class. If it wasn't for a certain caped crusader I probably would have gone in a couple times, got frustrated, and left never to have gone back, but this guy took it upon himself to introduce himself and offer advice or a part or answers and that made me feel welcome, and like I wanted to be part of something that attracted participants like that,and maybe one day I could be that guy to some newb. That personal experience is, I assume, what this hobby needs to thrive into the future. So, in summation, Darkside is right, go talk to the other guys running vta and/or usgt and see if you click with any of them, after all this is a "social" gathering, the racing is secondary (to some .
thanks Rooster.....anytime

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedySST View Post
LOL yeah because we've never heard that before. 13.5 is stock, no wait its 17.5 oops now its 21.5. To say anything will "never" happen is naive and those of us who have been in the hobby a long time know better than to believe something will "never" change.
never say never, true....lets say not anytime soon as far as keeping the confusion down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1/4milecrazy View Post
I checked two weeks ago when I got mine and it was not on the list. Must have just happened recently. I know how to check the rules, I just dont do it every day.
thats cool, Mr King admited that he forgot to add it....no problem. Its one of the best bodies ever imo....I think you will like it
Sept 21-24th @ Thunder RC Raceway
1172 Park Ave, Murfreesboro, TN 37129
DARKSIDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 02:04 PM   #36
Tech Master

Quote:
thanks Rooster.....anytime

never say never, true....lets say not anytime soon as far as keeping the confusion down.

thats cool, Mr King admited that he forgot to add it....no problem. Its one of the best bodies ever imo....I think you will like it
I do, already raced with it at the East Coast VTA nationals, bumped from the B and placed 8th in the A with my TC3. Love the one piece design.
Old 01-29-2017, 05:03 AM   #37
Tech Addict

This week I dusted off a TC3 that was setting on the shelf. Converted it to 21.5 for USGT and took a guess at a setup. It was a handful at first with way to much steering but a little work got it in line. Ended up turning fastest lap and winning the "A" at The Gate. And all of that with a 2 year old motor, a very poor battery and tires that had seen better days. It can be better but I need to dig up a few parts for tuning rear toe, squat and dive.
Old 01-29-2017, 01:45 PM   #38
Tech Initiate

VTA it is guys! I made it to the nearest onroad track,which is an hr away, and the guys were very helpful. The speeds were close but vta is best for me to start. Bonus is they run oval on sat and have a slow 25.5 class that the vta cars can run. It's limited to 25.5. Their F1 is also the 25.5 which is next winter project.

I also loved the group was my age or older and the fastest guy in USGT and 1/12 pan was one of the oldest. This gives me something to look forward to and not thinking I'm going to always get smoked by the young crowd.

Excited to get this thing on their carpet track which looked very smooth. Now onto learning vta and onroad setups.
RC_Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 05:40 PM   #39
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_dude View Post
This week I dusted off a TC3 that was setting on the shelf. Converted it to 21.5 for USGT and took a guess at a setup. It was a handful at first with way to much steering but a little work got it in line. Ended up turning fastest lap and winning the "A" at The Gate. And all of that with a 2 year old motor, a very poor battery and tires that had seen better days. It can be better but I need to dig up a few parts for tuning rear toe, squat and dive.
I have TC4 parts from the inner hinge pins out. Whats great is that all the TC4 parts are still current, so they are available. Especially stuff like arms, C-hubs and knuckles. I am gonna start playing with the diffs next practice days. I think I can find a little more speed by loosening or tightening the diffs.
Old 01-29-2017, 07:24 PM   #40
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1/4milecrazy View Post
I have TC4 parts from the inner hinge pins out. Whats great is that all the TC4 parts are still current, so they are available. Especially stuff like arms, C-hubs and knuckles. I am gonna start playing with the diffs next practice days. I think I can find a little more speed by loosening or tightening the diffs.
I think other than the TC3 tub itself, pretty much every TC3 part is still available too.

Did you drill out the TC3 arm mounts to fit the TC4 hinge pins? I didn't go that far, I'm just using TC4 C-hubs (okay, I lied, the 4 degree TC3 hub isn't available) and knuckles with the TC3 arms.
gigaplex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 08:19 PM   #41
Tech Addict

Are people still able to find HPI VTA wheels and tires?
Old 01-29-2017, 08:34 PM   #42
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedySST View Post
Are people still able to find HPI VTA wheels and tires?
My lhs has two pairs of rear tires, four pairs of fronts, a complete set of black five spokes, a complete set of matte five spokes, and two complete sets of chrome five spokes. Once they're gone though, I'm afraid I'm going to have to suck it up and go to the eBay and it's price gouging ways.
Aaron P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 06:24 AM   #43
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

I've had good luck with amazon for finding tires. I was able to get several sets at once so now I'm good for quite some time since I race on carpet.

I was worried that, even though my tires had very little wear on them, that they would have to be replace from getting too soft. After talking with some fellow drivers, I came up with a solution that works for me.

Clean tires with motor spray or NON-chlorinated brake cleaner. Helps with keeping the tires from getting too sticky as the day progresses.

No longer store them in ziplock bags. Now I just bring them home on the car and leave them there until the next race (I generally only race every other week at best)

If they tires seem too sticky, I put them in the oven on the lowest heat setting it has (about 150ish) for a couple hours. Turn oven off and let cool before taking them out. This helps draw the oils out in a low/zero humidity environment.

After doing this my older, but still good tires came back to life and perform very well the last couple of race days.

These are my results from experimenting, your results may vary.
The brighter the picture, the darker the negative. USVTA member #112
theproffesor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 08:19 AM   #44
Tech Initiate

Default Getting Closer

Well she ran on the basement floor. Onto the Z28 bodies and paint and then the initial setup. Hoping to take it to the track next Saturday or Sunday.
Attached Thumbnails
USGT OR VTA-img_4671.jpg  
RC_Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 11:29 PM   #45
Tech Adept

What are you gearing the tc3/4 at? THANKS! For VTA?
Jsapata likes this.

Last edited by Scott Schultz; 02-16-2017 at 06:20 AM.
Scott Schultz is offline   Reply With Quote