Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
taller touring tires >

taller touring tires

taller touring tires

Old 01-18-2017, 07:23 PM
Tech Adept

Default taller touring tires

anyone now who might make a taller touring/ on-road tires 67-70mm x 27-30mm, have an converted 1/12 LC racing rally car that I would like to run on the road, stock rally tires are 70mm x 29mm, only thing I've Found so far are the Vaterra V1 67mm x 30mm and 67mm x 26mm, not going to be racing, just bashing around on pavement, THX
Old 01-18-2017, 08:02 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Have you checked out the VTA wheels/tires?
http://www.tqrcracing.com/shop/produ...s_cate_id=2102
Old 01-18-2017, 09:00 PM
Tech Addict

There are a number of China eBay sellers making road tires that are slightly larger than the standard. A lot of them go for pretty cheap. Like $4-8 for a set of 4 with rims. I think the largest I ran were near 68mm or 70mm. Those tires are soft, kind of thin, great traction till they wear out. Usually near the edges from camber steering.

If you check the xv-01 thread out, I have some reviews of such tires.

I'd say buy a tire with some tread (not slicks). Because dusty streets and slicks really have need a properly tuned car to not oversteer. It took me months to get it just right. And a tire that has a more square edged profile. Avoid tires that covex too much, because (coupled with slicks threads), it's like driving on ice. That's after buying 10+ different sets of various diameter and tread patterns.

I've come to realize for bashing, x-patterns for the money are excellent. Wear and traction. Though diameter wise they aren't the size you want.

Anyway good luck.
Old 01-18-2017, 09:08 PM
Tech Addict

http://www.rctech.net/forum/14640934-post903.html

Start there,
You can go back or forward a couple of pages in that thread to see some reviews I did of tires.
Old 01-19-2017, 07:56 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Hpi makes a 1/10 rally tire, it is a perilli copy it is a lot taller than a Tc slick but still fits the Tc wheels.
Old 01-19-2017, 11:00 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

HPI used to make a Super Nitro RS4 and a Super Electric RS4. Both cars were 4wd. These cars were larger than 1/10 scale, but I think smaller than 1/8 scale (I guess 1/9 scale?). I also believe that they have/had rally bodies and tires for those cars.

I did a quick check on TowerHobbies.com and it looks like is some of the tires in stock.

Here is a link to the HPI Super Nitro Rally tires on Tower...

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXZK77&P=7

Here are the tire size specs from the website

Inner Diameter: 2.2" (56mm)
Outer Diameter: 2.9" (76mm)
Width: 1.4" (36mm)

Unfortunately it doesn't look like Tower has any of the HPI Super RS4 wheels in stock. However, I did a quick check on eBay and I found several listings for the wheels.

There are also non-rally tires for the HPI Super RS4 cars as well.

Hope this info helps
Old 01-19-2017, 02:14 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Be very careful of the Chinese tire and wheel combinations. The tires are OK but the wheels are worse than junk. Broke three of four within 10 minutes without hitting anything. Just doing standing start launches and running in a twenty foot circle to test tire adhesion. They were listed as HPI Workmeisters but definitely were not. I got exactly what I paid for. A lesson in what and where not to buy.
Old 01-19-2017, 04:25 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 78 (100%+)
Lightbulb

Anyone remember "inch up" wheels? I had a set a long time ago....sounds like his answer....pretty sure yokomo made them.
Old 01-19-2017, 07:20 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by 4roller
There are a number of China eBay sellers making road tires that are slightly larger than the standard. A lot of them go for pretty cheap. Like $4-8 for a set of 4 with rims. I think the largest I ran were near 68mm or 70mm. Those tires are soft, kind of thin, great traction till they wear out. Usually near the edges from camber steering.

If you check the xv-01 thread out, I have some reviews of such tires.

I'd say buy a tire with some tread (not slicks). Because dusty streets and slicks really have need a properly tuned car to not oversteer. It took me months to get it just right. And a tire that has a more square edged profile. Avoid tires that covex too much, because (coupled with slicks threads), it's like driving on ice. That's after buying 10+ different sets of various diameter and tread patterns.

I've come to realize for bashing, x-patterns for the money are excellent. Wear and traction. Though diameter wise they aren't the size you want.

Anyway good luck.
I checked out your thread and also went on line through Ebay, not finding anything taller than 66mm, do you remember which China ebay seller you got the taller tires from? any problems with wheels breaking ?
Old 01-21-2017, 11:55 AM
Tech Master

Tamiya 50476 Rally Blocks are 70mm overall diameter and made for standard touring car wheels.
https://www.tamiyausa.com/items/radi...tire-set-50476

There are also many cheap copies of these available.
Old 01-22-2017, 07:02 AM
Tech Adept

I've been running some 1/8 onroad tires they are 70mm but you need some crazy adapters I bought maybe 10 years ago lol.
Old 02-04-2017, 09:05 PM
Tech Addict

Like someone mentioned, the rims on some of these eBay wheelsets are a lot more britle than say an HPI nylon wheel. If you hit a curb or flip the car (cartwheel) you WILL crack a rim. I guess this is better than breaking an A-arm. But still you'll have to replace the set, unless you have a good way of salvaging tires from cheap rims, acetone melts the plastic.

A good way to get cheap tires, is to look for auctions, some of them go for like 2 dollars because no one bids on them. The caveat is that they take a while to get shipped to the US.

I think this seller is where I got the larger diameter tires from.

I will say though, these tires work great if you have 0 degrees camber, but the edges are prone to ring of death and separate quite easily after a handfull of high powered runs.

It says 65mm outer diameter, but when I measured them, they were larger. No promises. They are cheap enough with free shipping to experiment with.

Above the said tires compared to HPI x-patterns.

Here is the tire after a number of high powered runs. I run 13.5 with turbo and floor it through corners. The rubber is thinner than an x-pattern. These are extra chewed because they were on their way out and I just shredded them on a full pack as hard as I could.

Originally Posted by Petem
I checked out your thread and also went on line through Ebay, not finding anything taller than 66mm, do you remember which China ebay seller you got the taller tires from? any problems with wheels breaking ?

Last edited by 4roller; 02-04-2017 at 09:48 PM.
Old 02-04-2017, 10:28 PM
Tech Adept

If you can make M-chassis wheels fit your car, my best bet is to try Tamiya Euro Truck Team Hahn tires (70x28) on M-chassis wheels. They fit perfectly. Unfortunately they have no foams.
Old 02-05-2017, 12:22 AM
Tech Addict

I have wondered about these wheels/tires.

Being as they are from M-chassis, are the rims a smaller diameter than 52mm? That would mean a larger sidewall to achieve 70mm outside diameter. Is this correct? I would assume a lot of sidewall flex then.

How is the compound? I assume they are decent since there is a racing scene developing around these truck bodies.

Originally Posted by IAmGreatDane
If you can make M-chassis wheels fit your car, my best bet is to try Tamiya Euro Truck Team Hahn tires (70x28) on M-chassis wheels. They fit perfectly. Unfortunately they have no foams.
Old 02-05-2017, 02:24 AM
Tech Adept

Default Team Hahn tires on M-chassis wheels

Originally Posted by 4roller
I have wondered about these wheels/tires.

Being as they are from M-chassis, are the rims a smaller diameter than 52mm? That would mean a larger sidewall to achieve 70mm outside diameter. Is this correct? I would assume a lot of sidewall flex then.

How is the compound? I assume they are decent since there is a racing scene developing around these truck bodies.

Hope this helps answer your questions. The compound is fairly soft. Foams are a must.
Attached Thumbnails taller touring tires-img_1165.jpg   taller touring tires-img_1166.jpg   taller touring tires-img_1167.jpg  

Last edited by IAmGreatDane; 02-05-2017 at 02:26 AM. Reason: Try to rotate the images. No luck. Sorry.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.