R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree4Likes

Old 04-06-2017, 08:01 AM   #31
Tech Regular

Some design notes... Simon and I had a great back and forth collaboration on this project. Long story short the end result is a pretty damn sexy and we assume a durable, practical component that will greatly improve the Frankenstein VBC/TA07 – to the point where it’s not so Frankenstein.
- Shorter, stronger steel tubes are used to join the red upper deck mounts (bulkhead spacing is different from the FF17). This also allows the new part to be shimmed perfectly for belt clearance.
- The “fin” over the spur gear was added in order to improve stiffness in the middle and prevent any wonky flex characteristics that were showing up during stress analysis… that being said the production part pictured is thick carbon fibre and hence very strong – it’s designed to take a big hit.
Real world race testing begins this Friday.
BTW, to alleviate stress on the bulkheads of my current upper deck setup (see original post) – only install one screw per end. This greatly reduces the chances of bending a bulkhead.
Old 04-06-2017, 08:45 AM   #32
Tech Fanatic

The car looked great on track last Friday. I think the current configuration with the fiberglass chassis the car would be amazing on asphalt or really low grip carpet. That said, have you tried running the car on anything other then Sorex tires? I think the car would hook up extremely well on Gravity tires given our tracks current traction levels.
RobS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 10:21 AM   #33
Tech Regular

Gravity tires would be an interesting test indeed. The new part will likely stiffen the chassis a bit over my current hack job but also exhibit very different flex characteristics. Because the VBC mounts do not “clamp” the vertical upper deck – initial flex is quite soft and dependent on the tolerances. I just don’t know what’s going to happen yet. Simon will test with USGT or VTA tires I assume.