R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-07-2017, 12:09 PM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Default best F1 body for an X1 (with 2017 F1 looks -i.e. wider)

Hi guys,

I've recently bought an Xray X1 2015 (and I'm new to Rc in general).

Is it possible and worth upgrading this car to 2017 or what mods/ upgrades would be essential to get a 2015 X1 as competitive as possible (or is an upgrade to a X1 2016 the only option)?

What are the body options for my X1 2015 that looks cool and has good performance? I'd like a wider looking body as per 2017 REAL F1 regs, which is going back to wider wings and a lower car (as the skinny wings which they've used for the past few years to slow them down never looked very good).

I've noticed not many run Tamiya F1 bodies is this cost, durable-ness or performance related?

Is this body a good option or what else is worth considering (but no skinny wings) http://site.petitrc.com/reglages/tam...104/pics/1.jpg

thanks
hannhann00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 02:40 PM   #2
Tech Adept

For the most part, Tamiya bodies don't suit the latest trend of F1 chassis with the transverse batteries and wide-set side links. You would have to hack away at a lot of the rear of the body to get it to fit. The Tamiya bodies also have extra pieces for the sidepods to replicate the undercut of full size F1 cars. You "may" be able to get that generic F104 body to fit if you don't use the undercut sidepods.

The Protoform 13/14/15 are designed wider at the rear to fit the transverse batteries. The 15 might be a little low to clear side tubes and/or battery connectors, and I think the 14 has been discontinued. X-ray has their own F1 bodies, 2 styles I believe that I have yet to try.
viking44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 11:19 PM   #3
Tech Apprentice

okay cool thanks for the info.. I just checked out Protoform and they have the 13 and 15 and their generic wing set so i may go with the 13 as it looks a little more sleek to me than the 15...

If anyone has experience or knows of issues fitting the PF 13 body and PF wing set on a X1 2015 please let me know
hannhann00 is offline   Reply With Quote