Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree43Likes

VBC Racing FF17 FWD touring car kit

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2017, 08:03 AM
Tech Elite

A linear steering rack as seen on the Awesomatix would solve my steering geometry issue and still allow a much more forward position of the servo (and more room for the ESC since the servo could be offset more).
Old 02-12-2017, 01:35 PM
Tech Elite

Arg - the diff started skipping about 1/2 way through the first qualifier (with 500k oil). I removed the gasket for the 2nd qualifier but and it only lasted 1 lap. I checked my brothers car and his diff was toast as well. So it wasn't a valid test of the new electrics layout vs the stock setup since both cars had diff problems but the car did accelerate well and the rear end was perfectly stable with everything mounted on the front half of the chassis. I love VBC stuff in general but the list of problems is getting quite long with these FF17 kits
- too much back lash in the tranny (I mitigated this with Tamiya anti-wear grease)
- required shims for tranny not included or noted in the manual
- my kit was missing the 2 rear hub shims and had 2 defective tie-rods (improperly formed threads on one end)
- my brothers kit was missing some shock ball ends
- and the diff issue has put us out of the race for the moment
Technically both kits would have been unusable by most new racers but I'm not giving up on this thing yet.
Old 02-12-2017, 03:02 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Sadly to hear about the same thing for me...
Will test Tamiya middle and top gear next time and will probably try an TA06 gear diff...BTW the back lash is now perfect.
One of my friends was able to do a few hundred laps without gear issues by applying some lube on the gears...

Was so mad when I noticed the top gear issue that I continue to run the car until it won't move
At least on the track this car have potential.

Old 02-12-2017, 04:04 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

Glad I went ahead and ordered an FF04 Evo Black edition.

I'll pick one of these up eventually - but thanks to you posting some of the issues I have post-poned mine for a bit. I will say though, when I do order one, I will order the parts to make it a belt drive like my FF-Twelve.

Good luck guys with this kit and stick with it, I'm like you guys - I really like the VBC stuff.
Old 02-13-2017, 07:39 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

This is what i put on the gears

https://www.prolab-technologies.com/...8-1-pl-100.php

All parts listed above were missing and defect in my kit too!
I was able to finish the built with some parts from other vbc cars and test this ff17!

I am realy suprised by the perf of this fwd car, i have only about 400 laps but this thing is very different of my fast MTS FF pro, the ff17 put the power to the ground realy well!

I have only runned with the pack transvers and the steering servo swithed to the right like DAKTULOS!

The diff is built with 2.5m and it need to be little harder !

More to comes! ;-)
Old 02-13-2017, 11:46 AM
Tech Elite

I will also try the TA06 steel bevel gear diff and full Tamiya gear set (TRF top gear). If that doesn't work I install a TA06 direct coupling! I'm also replacing the non-VBC racing screws with inexpensive but much better quality gold plated T-Works FF-Twelve screw kit.
Old 02-13-2017, 12:23 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by DavidNERODease
I will also try the TA06 steel bevel gear diff and full Tamiya gear set (TRF top gear). If that doesn't work I install a TA06 direct coupling! I'm also replacing the non-VBC racing screws with inexpensive but much better quality gold plated T-Works FF-Twelve screw kit.
Only issue for the differential is that the ball at the end of the VBC cvd is bigger than Tamiya... Don't know if it's possible to swap the diff outdrive.
Let us know how it's working!
Old 02-16-2017, 04:17 AM
Tech Fanatic

I'm going to try Tamiya Molybdenum grease on the stock gears to reduce the tooth play. This grease is designed for metal to metal reduced friction contact.

I've ordered the FF12 belt driveline components but they won't be available until Mid March.

What is the logic behind putting very heavy diff oil in the differential?
Old 02-16-2017, 07:34 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by simple
I'm going to try Tamiya Molybdenum grease on the stock gears to reduce the tooth play. This grease is designed for metal to metal reduced friction contact.

I've ordered the FF12 belt driveline components but they won't be available until Mid March.

What is the logic behind putting very heavy diff oil in the differential?
In my case it's to exit the corner as fast as possible without diffing out.
But you loose a little bit on corner entry and the straight line stability may be affected if you are spinning out the tire too much...it's a compromise and with setups you need to keep in mind the number of laps over 5/6 minutes consistency true the run and lap time.
I am running on carpet BTW.
Another plus is that the diff is more consistent.

Other people may prove me wrong
Quinny45 and pat5b like this.
Old 02-16-2017, 08:13 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by daktulos
In my case it's to exit the corner as fast as possible without diffing out.
But you loose a little bit on corner entry and the straight line stability may be affected if you are spinning out the tire too much...it's a compromise and with setups you need to keep in mind the number of laps over 5/6 minutes consistency true the run and lap time.
I am running on carpet BTW.
Another plus is that the diff is more consistent.
Thank you, I suspected as much. We are running on carpet too. I think the old second generation CRC grey stuff.

Anyone else notice the piston e-clips on the shock shafts as being alarmingly loose?
Old 02-16-2017, 08:33 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

[QUOTE=

Anyone else notice the piston e-clips on the shock shafts as being alarmingly loose?[/QUOTE]

Yes! the c-clips that comes in kit are too big! I think It need 2.5mm and vbc put some 3mm in the kit!
Old 02-17-2017, 10:52 AM
Tech Fanatic

Default Right Side SErvo mounting

Here's my solution for moving the servo to the right side.
3D printed a mounting post (hidden) to make it a little more solid to the graphite mounting plate. Used a Tamiya extended ball to get geometry a little straighter, at the cost of weakening the system because of the leverage.
aracefan likes this.

Last edited by simple; 01-21-2022 at 08:14 AM.
Old 02-18-2017, 03:44 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 165 (100%+)

I have been looking for a new sedan and the VBC FF17 was high on my list. I had issues with missing parts with my VBC Ghost EVO and it's disappointing to read that the quality control issues are still not resolved and persist with this new kit. I won't spend hundreds for a top line kit knowing that parts will be missing or defective from the box. Disappointed for sure.
Old 02-19-2017, 06:45 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by SteveM
I have been looking for a new sedan and the VBC FF17 was high on my list. I had issues with missing parts with my VBC Ghost EVO and it's disappointing to read that the quality control issues are still not resolved and persist with this new kit. I won't spend hundreds for a top line kit knowing that parts will be missing or defective from the box. Disappointed for sure.
Don't want to discourage newcomers and argue with VBC lovers but as you mention QC sucks! We are not talking of a $99.99 kit here.
At least the cars is fast on the track.

Yesterday was a nice day for my FF17 testing. I was confident enough to run the car on a full race day (my trusty regular USGT car was not to far lol).
I managed to close the gap to 5/10 second on a fast lap vs my regular car and I am a little more than 1 lap off over 6 minutes (11 sec lap).
The car is definitively slower on technical parts of the track but crazy fast on the straights and matching the speed of other cars on fast sweepers.

Will need to work the setup on slow corners and have a more easy to drive setup.
Impatient to receive need parts form the machinist
Old 02-19-2017, 08:19 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 165 (100%+)

Once VBC solve the QC issues and bring the fit and finish up to Xray/Tamiya/Serpent standards, they will have a great product.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.