R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Improving transmitter flow (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/972926-improving-transmitter-flow.html)

YellowClip 01-02-2017 06:25 AM

Improving transmitter flow

Are there any tips or tricks how to make steering and throttle usage more flowing? One of the fastest racers said that I lose quite a lot of valuable time in the corners because my finger movement in too aggressive. We did try to soften the steering by gluing foam to steering wheel endpoints, which improved my best time about 0.2 seconds. I am racing 17.5 Blinky with a Sanwa MT-4S.

Eddie_E 01-02-2017 06:40 AM

lower the "Dual Rate" setting until the car will not make the tightest turn and then go back up a little at a time until it makes all turns but feels smooth.

If you have a super fast servo like .07 seconds, use the servo speed setting and set it for -9 out and -3 return

sakadachi 01-02-2017 06:42 AM

+1, I would use exponential too.

YellowClip 01-02-2017 08:51 AM

Thank you for your answers, I will try them next time I go practice. About throttle usage, is it faster to a) brake hard before a corner, hold half throttle in corner and then accelerate or b) to slow down before a corner, hold neutral or slight throttle in corner and then accelerate?

tbrymer 01-02-2017 10:15 AM

I'd let people know what radio you are using so they will know what settings you might have.

YellowClip 01-02-2017 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by tbrymer (Post 14786671)
I'd let people know what radio you are using so they will know what settings you might have.

I have the Sanwa MT-4S (40th anniversary), wheel shimed 1mm to remove rubbing, springs as loose as can be, slop removed with VR adjust, JC wheelfoam and pieces of foam glued to wheel endpoints and throttle lever.

X marksthespot 01-02-2017 10:59 AM

radio

Originally Posted by YellowClip (Post 14786687)
I have the Sanwa MT-4S (40th anniversary), wheel shimed 1mm to remove rubbing, springs as loose as can be, slop removed with VR adjust, JC wheelfoam and pieces of foam glued to wheel endpoints and throttle lever.

My driving was improved by stiffing the wheel spring,helped to calm my car around center more along with radio settings with the expo

YellowClip 01-02-2017 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by X marksthespot (Post 14786738)
My driving was improved by stiffing the wheel spring,helped to calm my car around center more along with radio settings with the expo

I previously had the steering in the mid-range stiffness, but the same guy, the fastest guy in our country and his father, told that a looser setting results a more precise driving.

1/4milecrazy 01-02-2017 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by YellowClip (Post 14786751)
I previously had the steering in the mid-range stiffness, but the same guy, the fastest guy in our country and his father, told that a looser setting results a more precise driving.

What works for him may not work for you. I prefer a stiffer spring, some prefer lighter. I notice a LOT of people come off the drivers stand and pushing their foam (steering wheel) back into place or even gluing their foam on. They ALL are gripping their wheels way to tight. I taught them to lighten up the grip on their remotes and their driving has improved significantly.

I feel that Expo is a lazy excuse for poor driving habits. I know a lot of people love expo, but I dont think it should be used as a crutch in the beginning. If you need to dial out steering in the beginning of the throw and then make up for it later you are doing something wrong at the radio.