R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-29-2016, 01:17 AM   #1
Tech Initiate

Questions?? Any steering geometry wizards out there? I need help...

Ive got an old ta05 v2r that i got way back before i had to take a break from the hobby.

For some reason i had both the 3racing and tamiya aluminum hop up steering linkage? One of em doesnt say what its even called, the other calls it a steering saver.

I found that no matter what i did or read nothing could help me figure out how to allow for more steering angle, just too much ackerman and that inner wheel lock preventing the outer wheel from reaching its full angle.

I managed to mod 2 plastic steering "savers" onto the aluminum one to move up the turnbuckles and moved up the pointing points on the front axle? Cant recall the name of the ones im using, but the manual says the part is C1

Anyways so i dont keep blabbing on... Im now trying to improve upon the UD mod that has been used and put online by like 2 people. I wanted to try this because my previous mod and i have no idea how or why or what i could do or look up but the sway bar was being adversely affected. In short when linked up to the steering one arm would engage the other arm near the the top tavel limit and would barely lift it like a couple mm. Without it linked up so just sway bar and axles no steering linked no springs obv, the arms are perfectly in sync.

Can i get some input on what was going on and ideas on what to do about getting the full outside wheel when turning locking at the full angle it should without the inner wheel limiting it at all?

Heres what the mod im trying now looks like and im hoping for the best
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Gvn...OUtrP&index=74
A good view of whats being used.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vjnb...xwZNk83p0OUtrP
My favorite ver of the mod just needs a ball connector screwed into a hollowed out one to have a link for the servo and the steering arms/turnbuckels.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Khpu...xwZNk83p0OUtrP
This one got way worse as he just looks like he eyeballed his cuts and went with it.

Welp i did it.... its not as identical as the UD steering mod were they calling it? Anyways i like it a lot more, fixed all my problems, no ackerman at all as far as i can tell, more steering angle cuz im able to reach lock usually but under normal driving circumstances i wasnt able to achieve full lock for full angle. Then i found out one of my cvds was acting up and luckily already have wide angle ones on the way so ill probably be working on a tutorial or a video for any returning ta05 owners or ppl bringing em out of retirement. Im considering actually putting together my tb01 for fun since ive just kept it in the box and then ill use the gyro i got for the ta05 just so i could diddle some 2wd action XD lemme know if anyone wants any specifics or anything like that which i can provide...

Last edited by TheMadHatta; 12-29-2016 at 01:34 PM.
TheMadHatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 06:46 PM   #2
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I'm sorry I'm not sure I understand the problem.

when running, you cannot get full lock? Or you can, but you don't like the steering curve (too much exponential?)
Airwave is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
angle, dirft, lock, mod, steering