R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-18-2002, 08:58 PM   #16
Tech Elite

I would have to say:

XXX-S Graphite
MR4TC Special

I have owned them all except the Xray... but you will still need a spring kit for all the kits.
JimmyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2002, 10:39 PM   #17
Tech Regular

in my mind the most complete car is the speedmind daytona it has all the usual hoppups but also has a ti screw kit which set me back $55 for my current car.

Last edited by ausracer; 11-18-2002 at 10:43 PM.
ausracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2002, 12:36 AM   #18
Tech Addict
Default I would say the....

XXX-S. Just get the Ti screw set, Ti hinge pins and a front oneway. You will have a top racer and just a little more than a TF
TC3. Then get Novaks brushless motor and some 3300 HV bats sweet.

Last edited by Nightbreed; 11-19-2002 at 12:38 AM.
Nightbreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2002, 05:06 AM   #19
Tech Apprentice

I appreciate all of the useful input. After reading your posts, I've learned some valuable information. I didn't know that the Schumacher CF had threaded shock bodies, and a oneway. I hadn't looked at the RC Lab (7even) car, and I wasn't very familiar with the "new" version of the Losi XXX-S.

Just to give you some background, before I sold all of my equipment, I raced an MR4-TC Special. I raced it with the dual one-way setup. I've raced Yokomo since the YR4-M chassis. I want to try a different car, that's why I asked the question.

I should have said that I don't mind buying "Tuning" parts (springs etc.). I just don't want to have to purchase parts that should be included in what's considered a "Racers" car kit. I prefer the inclusion of one-ways.

I started off leaning heavily towards the Xray T1 Evo2 and the Tamiya 414M2. However, I became a little put off by the high cost of the new C hub setup for the Evo2. I know about Hudy quality, but $175 is steep! Can the price of the C hub setup really be worth half the price of the kit.

I'm not sure about the Tamiya yet. Tamiya replacement parts can be kind of steep in price. My preference is to stick with side by side battery packs that mount on one side of the chassis. Although, I'm not limiting myself to that. I'm going to take a closer look at the Schumacher. I also want to look at the Losi now that it has be "enhanced".

I'm glad that this thread didn't evolve into a "My car is better than your car" thread.
DEACON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2002, 06:00 AM   #20
Tech Master

Hi guys. Greetings from Malta.

I have just read through this whole thread. Very interesting.

Allow me my view. But before I start let me state that i am the Malta importer for Associated, Yokomo, Losi, Schumacher and Corally.

PARTS AVAILABILITY> That has got to be priority No 1. So whatever is popular in the shops in your part of the world has got to be the car for you.

I take parts for most cars I sell down to the track in my van whenever we race. At a recent round of our championship one of two guys running X Rays broke something silly whilst leading in the first final. He was out for the day because nobody was available with parts. His mate who drives a TC3 broke a wishbone and a shock tower. I had both in stock and he was able to continue racing.

There is an added advantage in racing a TC3 or a Yoke where I come from. My son races a TC3, and I race a Yoke, so you can be sure we will have a very comprehensive stock of parts and will also be able to help guys out with problems.

But to get back to the most complete car - what about the Corally C4.1. It is as complete as they come. But perhaps you have a parts problem for these in the USA. So I have to agree with Futureal - go for the FTTC3, the Graphite XXXS or the Yoke MR4 Special.

I love my Special and wouldn't trade it for anything and my son will not touch anything other than a TC3. So you could say we're biased.

But wait a minute. If the new Corally is as good as first reports say it is then you could go for that too. Surely if it's successful people will buy it. The more people buy it the more shops will stock the parts. Or doesn't it work like that.

Joe from sunny Malta.
johnbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2002, 06:19 AM   #21
Tech Adept
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default awwww my!

I vouch for the TRF 414M2. XRAY to but -- why do you have to be so complicated? -- avril lavigne
Awesomatix Sanwa Trinity Tamiya
voodoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2002, 06:32 AM   #22
Tech Elite

Deacon - judging from your last post, I think you misread someone's Mission specs - it DOES NOT have one-way or threaded shocks as standard.

In my book, the most complete kits are...

FT TC3 - all you might want is a one-way, otherwise standard parts are pretty much all you need to build a competitive car.
Graphite XXX-S - looks like it's benefited from all the development the team drivers have been doing over the past year or so (i.e. refined geometry).

Complete kits that I have reservations about...

X-ray Evo 2 - the kit looked really good to me, until they released the all-new suspension system straight away - why buy a car that's already out of date?
Tamiya 414M2 - really nice kit, but the worlds kit was a limited run - again, why buy a kit that's out of date?
Yoke Special - on it's way out, so they say.

Kit's I know I'd buy parts for before I even built it...

Schumacher Mission - threaded shocks, basically, and maybe some machined pulleys.
HPI Pro 3 - my current car - wouldn't run it without a top deck and a few other small changes.

The other cars have such limited availability that they are hard to consider.
sosidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2002, 06:40 AM   #23
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default My list

Pro3-HARA Edition

whatever you choose, you have to consider that

when something breaks

your Hobby shop must have it!!!

Parts Availability/Support is IMPORTANT!!
lem2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2002, 09:13 AM   #24
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Hi all. Intresting thread. Please allow me to put in my $.02

For all intents and purposes one of the best and most complete cars out there is the X-Ray hands down, no contest. Whether or not it is the most complete (you only need a front-one way ~$40) it certainly is the most enjoyable car to work with. Also, it happens to be one of the most competetitive ones around. I usually race at Socal Raceway and there has been a growing movement towards the Xray. If you spoke to anybody who owns one, they'll say its the easiest car to work with. It's all in the details, take a look at one up close and you'll see. Any adjustment on the car can be done in less than five minutes (even the diffs can be adjusted without taking the body off or unscrewing anything!)and you'll know it's precise. The parts quality is superb and the parts hardly wears out(ball pivots, threads, etc). The car was designed with the racer in mind, meaning how he has to live with the car at the track and how accessibility and ease of use is priority in the pits. Sure, the other cars have all of the bells and whistles, but the Xray has them all and packaged in a car that is user friendly. That's why they call it the "Luxury" touring car. Oh, and by the way, it's baseline setup (from the included Hudy Setup Book, also known as the bible) gives you a DIALED car for almost any condition. And most importantly, the car hardly ever takes a tweak! The car holds its settings and stays there (I've checked mine and it has remained unscathed for the last month so you don't have to worry much about tweaking in a huge wreck. Just arrive at the track, set and forget As for parts, I don't know about what others have said in previous posts, but parts are equal to if not less expensive(considering their quality) and they are readily available online. Whew, that was a bit long-winded and I've left out quite a bit of other things, but you get my point on why I believe it is far superior to offerings from AE, Losi, Yoke, etc.

My other favorite is the Tamiya 414 series. What can I say, I love Tamiya and this one is LOADED. Plus I run at the Tamiya America Track every weekend so I'm kind of biased

I hope this helps. Do yourself a HUGE favor and have a REALLY GOOD look at the X-ray. Even if it's a little more than the others, it is well worth it.
rtypec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2002, 10:31 AM   #25
Tech Master
Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

XXX-S Graphite P+us kit comes with a body and wheels/tires... That makes it the most complete kit
ChristopherKee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2002, 10:48 AM   #26
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to KINGZJ

The only advise I can give is the KISS method

Keep It Simple Stupid

Simplicty rules bottom line
KINGZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2002, 11:28 AM   #27
Tech Apprentice

sosidge: Thanks for pointing that out. One correction, though, I been told that the Tamiya 414MII is not a limited edition car.

rtypec: To be honest with you, the Xray was at the top of my list until I read about the release of the new suspension (specifically the price). Some may say that the new suspension is not necessary, but if I learn that it will work better for my driving style, I won't want to drop that kind of cash after already spending so much on a high end car. I haven't ruled out the Xray, I'm just looking more closely at the other kits available.

I think that oneways (dual), swaybars, threaded shocks (IMO), full bearings, carbide balls and all the best parts should be available in the "Top of the Line" kit. A body and wheels are nice, but don't need to be included in the kit for my taste.

I wish that there was a comparrison chart for all the kits. That would certainly make it easier to compare the various features and options.
DEACON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2002, 11:37 AM   #28
Tech Elite
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to BigDogRacing

Deacon, at your level of understanding you shouldn't be concerned with petty diferences like threaded shock bodies or having to buy a front diff. You know which cars are good cars and whether you spend $280 or $320 for the kit and needed upgrades isn't that much of an issue.

Here's something to think about:

++Customer service- Adrian and Paul Wynn frequent the Schmacher thread here and they are always supportive at races etc. You can call and talk to one of them to get advice, info, order parts, whatever you need during regular business hours. Paul is also a factory driver and an excellent racer in many classes. I think Adrian is pretty good too. Can you call AE or Losi and talk to one of their best drivers about your setup? Not that I know of...

++Fellow drivers- If you look on the Schumacher thread here on rctech, you'll see lots of setup sheets, frindly chat and helpful knowledge. You'll find some stuff on the other threads too, but none are as nice and cordial as the Schuie thread. One of my close friends asked a simple question on the Losi thread a few months ago and they bashed him. "Quit hitting the boards!!!!" is all they told him. Turns out the C-hub carriers he was having problems with have been redesigned.

I know Schuie parts aren't as common as the AE and Losi cars, but the Mission is a super tough car. If you're drving breaks some parts, just keep extras- you'll do that with any car. I would get the threaded shock bodies and oneway for the Mission when you order it.

Hope this helped!
BigDogRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2002, 11:39 AM   #29
Tech Elite

Okay if we go with K.I.S.S. methodology, then my Best bet is the Tamiya TL01LA !!! I swear one of these day's I'm gonna race one in Sportsman hehe and see how many "Top-o-the-line" TC's I can finish ahead of
Old 11-19-2002, 11:42 AM   #30
Tech Elite

By the way Deacon, how would you know whether or not the Xray C-Hub conversion would fit your driving style? I haven't tried it yet and I believe it is only a tuning option. It's dialed outta the box and you can easily find a setup based on your style because it includes the setup book and a good baseline.