R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-23-2016, 05:52 AM   #1
Tech Fanatic

Default Were is electric on road in 2017

Hey y'all: With 2016 coming to a close I'd like to know a few this about where electric on road is headed for 2017 and beyond. First will the scale sedan classes like usgt and vta still be popular?Second has F1 passed wgt in popularity? Third what will happen to the 1/12th pan car mod class given the recent debate over possible changes to help revive it? Thanks
b-man777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 06:42 AM   #2
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

If you just look at the chatter on RC Tech concerning carpet on road, the one thing you can say is on road is pretty healthy. If this many people are this concerned about it, that means there are a lot of people looking to race. Racers just need to be patient as the classes go through some changes to fit the needs of the hobby.
jiml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 07:08 AM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Come to Florida- All TC clases (25.5-21.5 and 17.5) Pan Cars GT17.5 (17.5 foam), WGT-R, F1, and 1/12th 17.5. All of the pan cars classes are growing monthly with new racers.
WGT-R, GT Racing USA (17.5 foam), Formula 1 and Home Track is 386 RaceWay,ROAR #7540.
BullFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 08:03 AM   #4
Tech Regular

It's hard to predict attendance for all of the US and Europe, but I can see some things for New England.
F1 is strong in CT and NY. It seems to be surpassing WGT-R and foam WGT is just plain dead and lost to the history books. I'll miss foam WGT more than most people. Last week Madness had 3 of us in WGT-R and 3 F1 drivers due to holiday distractions and other trophy races within driving distance.

We ran them together as a combined class and it was a huge success. All the heat races and the main had all cars within 1 lap.

17.5 sedan is down a bit on the local level and USGT is up. Some of us are also caught up in the booming carpet/turf off-road racing. 2wd buggies on looped carpet are just too much fun to ignore.
Stock 1/12 scale still has a pro level following, but number are low. Mid-level 1/12 is not happening even though at least 7 local guys have 1/12 scales "almost ready", but none of us owns a tire truer. LOL

The F1 seems to be mostly Xray X1 with Reedy 25.5 (w/12.3 rotor).
WGT-R is a new class for us in CT, so we are running informal "Jun rules" that are a gentleman's agreement to run outdated 13.5 motors , average batteries and charged at 10A or less. We don't tell the pro drivers that show up with Team Scream 17.5 motors and 40A chargers. The result is similar lap times for the top 5 average.
Eddie_E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 11:43 AM   #5
Tech Regular

1/10 scale sedan is happening, but only on my street 😎

Tracks are very far from where I live, and it's hard to take time out of ones busy schedule to meet up and bash.

Gone are the days of parking lot racing. LA for all the people it has, is a lonely RC city.
4roller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 02:13 PM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

You make you hobby anyway you can. Parking lot is alot of work but if you want to race- that's what is needed to get done.
As for WGT dying we have revived that class by doing the same legal bodies as WGT-R only with 17.5 motors and with the foam tires. It's faster than the WGT-R class and just as fun.
As for charging at a high verus an lower rate- big deal. Your paying attention to the wrong stuff. It's set-up and playing with your gearing and finding out what works for you might not work for someone else! Happens all the time with me and my buddies.
WGT-R, GT Racing USA (17.5 foam), Formula 1 and Home Track is 386 RaceWay,ROAR #7540.
BullFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 08:43 AM   #7
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 87 (99%+)

Not much different than 2016 I suppose. Some areas will grow some will fade; some people will bitch about how fast everyone else is and some will bitch about how slow everyone else is. Some will cry about why nobody wants to run mod and others will blame stock for all thats wrong with RC. And at the end of the day some of us will just have fun enjoying the little track time we get.

CMDezigns Paint Works
https://www.facebook.com/pages/CM-Dezigns/259989190822177?ref=hl
chris moore is offline   Reply With Quote