R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-17-2016, 02:50 PM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default NiMH batteries, and saddle pack source?

As I am just getting back into building and racing again, does anyone know what ever happened to cheapbatterypacks.com? I used to get stuff from them, they seem to be gone. Any similar vendors out there?

And yeah, eventually I'll get into LiPo, but all my stuff is still in the NiMH world for now. I won't need any upgrades until I learn to control my 1:12 scales again.

Mike B
Skeet6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 03:31 PM   #2
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

There really isn't much out there for sub-c nimh any longer. You can either buy singles or quantities of unbranded or Tenergy cells. Amazon and eBay are probably your best and least expensive sources.
For the price of entry through sellers like Hobbyking.com for both LiPo batteries and chargers it really doesn't make much sense to spend the money on nimh cells.
biz77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 03:42 PM   #3
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by biz77 View Post
There really isn't much out there for sub-c nimh any longer. You can either buy singles or quantities of unbranded or Tenergy cells. Amazon and eBay are probably your best and least expensive sources.
For the price of entry through sellers like Hobbyking.com for both LiPo batteries and chargers it really doesn't make much sense to spend the money on nimh cells.
OK, thanks! I am cycling my packs now, to see if much life left. My ICE charger will do LiPo, I just need to hit the learning curve of what the terminology all means. Is there a good tutorial somewhere, so I don't ask 20 dopey questions? (Like the one I just asked, LOL?)
Mike B
Old 12-17-2016, 03:54 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeet6 View Post
OK, thanks! I am cycling my packs now, to see if much life left. My ICE charger will do LiPo, I just need to hit the learning curve of what the terminology all means. Is there a good tutorial somewhere, so I don't ask 20 dopey questions? (Like the one I just asked, LOL?)
Mike B
Hobbyking.com
1s pack is what your looking for . Should be somewhere around the 6000+ mAh and only cost $50ish if that .
No balance charging necessary on single cell can charge as often as you want , can charge @ 1amp or 40amps if your heart desires ... Don't go below 3v (I don't go below 3.5 for safe keeping )
Don't leave battery charged for over 20 min . Some packs will swell up and loose punch if they swell up not to mention tweak your car . And can potentially pop(then comes fire) so if they swell more than 15% of their thickness don't run them and get rid of them . But lipos are normally good for 200-400 charges if kept between 3.5-4.2 volts
Heat makes them better but also shaves down their life span . Older packs topically loose punch way before they loose run time .
jlfx car audio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 03:56 PM   #5
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Ditch the sub-C batteries all together! Lithium will be so much easier/better. They last longer than Sub-C when stored and cycle properly. I have a lipo that still hits hard and it's over a year old, but never over discharged and i charge @ 40 amps. Discharged 40 amps as well. There are name brand batteries that cost 100+ dollars, but you'll find packs from SMC and Promatch priced well under that and work great too.
Old 12-17-2016, 05:51 PM   #6
Tech Regular

Personally, I noticed a night and day difference in handling and drivability when switching from NiMH to LiPo, so might as well learn again with current technology, it's relatively cheap now anyways. NiMH are super heavy and sluggish compared to LiPo which greatly affected acceleration and handling for me.
wareagle84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 07:19 AM   #7
avs
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

sounds like you will need a booster ($5 at hobbyking works fine). the 1s lipo voltage needs a bumpup to drive typical speedo/servo controls.

You didn't indicate what kind of motor/speedo you have, I presume brushless. if not that is another conversation.
Old 12-18-2016, 07:22 AM   #8
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by avs View Post
sounds like you will need a booster ($5 at hobbyking works fine). the 1s lipo voltage needs a bumpup to drive typical speedo/servo controls.

You didn't indicate what kind of motor/speedo you have, I presume brushless. if not that is another conversation.
All brushed motors so far... some modified, some "stock", ca. 1990's. Heck, some are new in the boxes. Even back then I had a tendency to buy too many things for "spares" of stuff I liked.

Mike
Old 12-18-2016, 02:30 PM   #9
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeet6 View Post
All brushed motors so far... some modified, some "stock", ca. 1990's. Heck, some are new in the boxes. Even back then I had a tendency to buy too many things for "spares" of stuff I liked.

Mike
Your ESCs won't have lipo cutoff then, so you'd probably need a low voltage alarm when switching to lipo. They're pretty cheap.
gigaplex is offline   Reply With Quote