R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-14-2016, 09:45 AM   #1
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Lubricants, cleaners, and more.... OH MY!

So I was just going through the things I use to lubricate and clean my car parts. Here is what I use right now:

Shock Grease: Noleen SF3 Grease (believed to be the exact formula of Green Slime)
Metal CV Joint and Thrust bearing Grease: CRC SL3144 Moly-Graph Extreme Pressure Multi-Purpose Lithium Grease (Smells, looks, feels exactly like AE Black Grease)
General Lubricant for things like shock collars: Trident Pure Silicone Grease

General Purpose Cleaner: CRC 5103 Quick Dry Electronic Cleaner
Bearing Cleaner, Degreaser: WD-40 INDUSTRIAL-STRENGTH DEGREASER

I am still looking for the following:

Bearing grease/oil
Plastic Gear grease (High speed/ high friction/ low fling)
Diff lube if different than bearing grease /oil

What is everyone else using?
Old 12-14-2016, 10:26 AM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I've tried many cleaners and lubricants over the years.
I have settled on and have been using for the past 5 years:

(I only race on-road)

Cleaners:
-Simple Green in spray to wipe down areas of my vehicle
-Simple Green wipes to clean debris and traction compound off my on-road tires

Lubricants:
-Hudy graphite grease (excellent product)!! -for metal to metal contact
-Tri-flow (Teflon) for bearings

Oils/Other:
-Team Associated and Team Losi Shock Oils (various weights)
-Spec R + Team Associated Diff' Oils (various weights)

-----
When tearing down and rebuilding a car i'll scrub various parts with an old toothbrush and dish soap, then rinse w/ water (of course this is when the part is not connected to the car).
eR1c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 10:41 AM   #3
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to Nerobro

Tri-Flow seems like a poor choice for bearings. Teflon is particulate matter, do you want that in your bearings? It's good for sliding surfaces, but our bearings are balls on races. The big cause of ball bearing failure is something called skating, having anything in the race that might give the ball something to trip and skate on is not good.

How did you end up using Tri-Flow?
Nerobro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 10:45 AM   #4
Tech Regular

Cleaners: Windex and paper towels "when i'm out" Dish soap and hot water when home.

Oils: Green slime for shock seals. 3 in 1 oil for bearings. Lithium Grease for gear interfaces.

Though those may change depending on how i'm feeling.

... At one time, long ago, I had this pink fluffy grease that I used to use on gears. If I could find out what that was again, I'd be forever grateful.
Old 12-14-2016, 10:46 AM   #5
Tech Elite

STP and ATF is a bearing oil people used to pay $15 per once for. Brand name stickers be expensive in RC.

Tag body spray has a hundred Rc uses.
Lemon Pledge for shine.

Are AE's and MIP's diff grease the only decent ball diff grease out there?
Zerodefect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 10:49 AM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Bfast diff grease is great. Comes in a nice syringe applicator.

Serpent America/Desoto Racing, McFactory Motorsports, Team Trinity, Pro-Line/Protoform, Hobbywing North America/FalconSEKIDO, HRP Distributing, PTRC Racing, Ho B Max
Antimullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 10:50 AM   #7
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerobro View Post

... At one time, long ago, I had this pink fluffy grease that I used to use on gears. If I could find out what that was again, I'd be forever grateful.
Dow Corning 33!

Did you also play paintball alot? Or Dow Corning 55. Nieither is pink anymore, both are off white.
Old 12-14-2016, 11:01 AM   #8
Tech Master

Quote:
Tri-Flow seems like a poor choice for bearings. Teflon is particulate matter, do you want that in your bearings? It's good for sliding surfaces, but our bearings are balls on races. The big cause of ball bearing failure is something called skating, having anything in the race that might give the ball something to trip and skate on is not good.

How did you end up using Tri-Flow?
I disagree that Tri-Flow is a poor choice for bearings. I've been using it for years and have never had issue.

Quote:
Teflon is particulate matter, do you want that in your bearings?
Tri-Flow the product was developed specifically for bearings. Tri-Flow repels dirt and moisture, there is no "particulate matter" in the product (by particulate matter I assume you mean debris, moisture, dirt?). You can read about it here:

http://www.triflowlubricants.com/pro...nt-drip-bottle

How did I end up using Tri-Flow? The top drivers at my track would all soak their bearings in it, ...I even know an A-Main driver who competed in a TCS event the past two years who uses Tri-Flow and swears by it. Those seemed like good enough reasons for me to give it a try. Using Tri-Flow in my bearings I have been able to consistently get in the top 3 spots in several classes at my club. Its worked very well for me.
Old 12-14-2016, 11:02 AM   #9
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerodefect View Post
Dow Corning 33!

Did you also play paintball alot? Or Dow Corning 55. Nieither is pink anymore, both are off white.
I use to paintball also and Dow 33 for orings like on timmys. Bob Long markers Dow 55 for orings because it slightly swells them.

Moving to RC dow 33 for shock shafts, diff builds, and drive shaft blades for indoor.

REFLEXRACING.NET * TEXASEOS.NET * YOKOMO
b20btec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 11:16 AM   #10
Tech Master

there has been a lot written about Tri-Flow,
I found this test interesting:

https://www.silverfishlongboarding.c...eed-cream.html . -read the first post.

did a google search, looks like Tri-Flow is used by all kinds of hobbyists in other fields as well (quads and planes, skateboarders, bikers, etc.. ..anything involving bearings)
Old 12-14-2016, 11:38 AM   #11
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerodefect View Post
Dow Corning 33!

I hadn't thought that the stuff was Dow 33. I'll need to look into it. It would seem really weird for a r/c car product that reduced gear friction to have been Dow 33. I know I have some hanging around. It would make me giggle if a very low temperature lube turns out to be the thing for gear interfaces...

I've been playing since 95. Still do. :-) Don't get me started on paintball lubes. I'm a strong proponent of air tool oil for paintguns.

Amusingly, before last weekend, the last bottle of shock oil I bought was so I could have clean silicone oil for my teammates matrices. I was ~really upset~ at the need to grease them. I figure if you ~need~ grease in a paintball gun, the manufacturer has done something wrong. Typically poor o-ring gland design. The shock oil worked.

The best made guns just needed some oil in the ASA every few thousand cycles. The "less well made guns" could be as bad as needing tear-down and re-lubing every case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eR1c View Post
I disagree that Tri-Flow is a poor choice for bearings. I've been using it for years and have never had issue.
I wish that were the be all and end all. I'm glad you've had a good experience.

Quote:
Tri-Flow the product was developed specifically for bearings. Tri-Flow repels dirt and moisture, there is no "particulate matter" in the product (by particulate matter I assume you mean debris, moisture, dirt?). You can read about it here:

http://www.triflowlubricants.com/pro...nt-drip-bottle
I don't. I assume they make a good product, in that it's clean, and contaminant free. I even have a bottle of their stuff in my bike tool box. Before I asked what I did, I went and looked up the potential products that you might be talking about, so I could be sure about what I was saying.

But they do indicate it contains particulate matter. PTFE doesn't exist as a fluid. The product page says the formula contains PTFE. There are places that is is good. On gear faces, and chains, it can be a good thing. You can end up with it embedding on the surface and having a teflon sliding surface... Or at least that's the idea.

Ball bearings are a different thing. They ~should not~ be sliding. They should be rolling.

I suspect that a bath in wd-40, and then the application of a light machine oil would do the same, or better.
Old 12-14-2016, 11:38 AM   #12
Tech Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Roelof

Tri-flow also works awesome on the belts.
Old 12-14-2016, 11:53 AM   #13
Tech Master

Quote:
I suspect that a bath in wd-40, and then the application of a light machine oil would do the same, or better.
I strongly disagree.

But, that is what makes for fun competitive racing. We all get to the finish line a different way.
Old 12-14-2016, 12:01 PM   #14
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by eR1c View Post
I strongly disagree.

But, that is what makes for fun competitive racing. We all get to the finish line a different way.
I have no evidence, beyond what I know about lubrication. I ~could be wrong~. It's also testable. :-) I miss the testing that was in RC Car Action back in the early 90's. My new subscription hasn't started yet, so I don't know what they do now.

I remember paying $10 for a tube of green slime to lube the o-rings some of my paintball guns. It killed a stiction issue in one of them. :-)
Old 12-14-2016, 12:03 PM   #15
Tech Elite

Metal sealed on road bearings, ATF/STP. I might just try plain olde engine oil.

Offroad rubber bearings, I pull the seals and pack them with GREASE. Dirt can't enter something that's already full.

That tiny bit of PTFE ain't going to hurt a bearing. It's not like it's chunks of PTFE the size of sand or salt. Bearings do slide on the sides, just roll on the load bearing plane. Thrust loads are sliding. The ball can only roll in one direction at a time.

My RAT Impulse and SCUBA primary regulators all require grease on the Orings. Oil won't stay around long enough. (And I'd rather not breathe oil, LOLz)