R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-14-2016, 12:06 PM   #16
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
I miss the testing that was in RC Car Action back in the early 90's. My new subscription hasn't started yet, so I don't know what they do now.
I have been subscribing to RC Car Action for the past 4 or 5 years, I don't recall many if any articles where they put various products or methods like this against each other. They'll do reviews on chargers for example and list the pro's and con's w/ each. But nothing like what we are discussing. Which is too bad. I would love a Mythbusters / scientific approach to things like this.
eR1c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 12:10 PM   #17
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to Nerobro

Quote:
Originally Posted by eR1c View Post
I have been subscribing to RC Car Action for the past 4 or 5 years, I don't recall many if any articles where they put various products or methods like this against each other. They'll do reviews on chargers for example and list the pro's and con's w/ each. But nothing like what we are discussing. Which is too bad. I would love a Mythbusters / scientific approach to things like this.
I ran lightspeed connectors due to testing they did, the astro flight ones had slightly less resistance... but were 10x the price. They also did testing of motor break in dynos, and actual dyno testing of motors. There was also ~genuine~ testing of battery packs, and other components.

I've got the gear to do testing.... Maybe I should start a thread.
Nerobro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 12:16 PM   #18
Tech Master

Quote:
I've got the gear to do testing.... Maybe I should start a thread.
I'd benefit from it, i am sure others would as well.
I'd gladly contribute too. Heck, why don't we start our own magazine. RC Car Action kind of sucks in a way, ...I've been thinking about not renewing my subscription. It's basically one giant ad for new products. Sure they review them, but I don't find much of it interesting. I'd find what your describing w/ low resistance wires and motor dynos much more interesting and informative.
Old 12-14-2016, 03:00 PM   #19
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Bearings - Mobil1
CVD - STP Engine Oil Additive
http://www.youtube.com/user/rccartips/
http://www.facebook.com/RCCarTipsFan
rccartips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 04:14 PM   #20
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Quote:
I'd benefit from it, i am sure others would as well.
I'd gladly contribute too. Heck, why don't we start our own magazine. RC Car Action kind of sucks in a way, ...I've been thinking about not renewing my subscription. It's basically one giant ad for new products. Sure they review them, but I don't find much of it interesting. I'd find what your describing w/ low resistance wires and motor dynos much more interesting and informative.
I would like to see more technical testing also go for it guys just make it on some type of web site and just charge a few $ to view the info or something or to have access to the testing just a idea
jlfx car audio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 09:06 AM   #21
ASM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I didn't realize this many other racers were familiar with DOW 33, even way back when it was pink in color. It is some of the best diff grease for pan cars that you can use.

2016 & 2017 ROAR Region 4 VTA Champion
USVTA Member #116
ASM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 10:37 AM   #22
Tech Master

Quote:
Bearings - Mobil1
CVD - STP Engine Oil Additive
Mobil1 for bearings? -interesting!
K, sounds like we all have our own formulas!

NeroBro,
-I like the idea of a testing site, channel or something.
Its too bad we live in opposite ends of the country ...otherwise I could see a potential fun partnership. ...But maybe we just start a new thread on these forums?
Old 12-15-2016, 12:06 PM   #23
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to Nerobro

Quote:
NeroBro,
-I like the idea of a testing site, channel or something.
Its too bad we live in opposite ends of the country ...otherwise I could see a potential fun partnership. ...But maybe we just start a new thread on these forums?
Nothing we'd be testing would be big, or cumbersome to ship.

I'll get something started, testing wise, this weekend.

I'll start the thread in a few minutes.
Nerobro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 02:39 PM   #24
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Mobil1 for bearings? -interesting!
K, sounds like we all have our own formulas!
My daughter's 2016 winning cars used Mobil1 beating cars running expensive dry lubricants.

Soak your bearings, run your car (excess will fly off anyways). After hours of running, take out of your car and spin in your hands... you will smile
http://www.youtube.com/user/rccartips/
http://www.facebook.com/RCCarTipsFan
rccartips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 03:08 AM   #25
Tech Apprentice

I agree with you guys. You think RC companies have special equipment to test lubricants performance? I don't think so. They just try many different lubricants just like you and me then repack the lubricants with their brand name. One thing for sure is once you found what works the best, that bottle can last forever in our rc application.
Smashrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 09:53 AM   #26
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashrc View Post
I agree with you guys. You think RC companies have special equipment to test lubricants performance? I don't think so. They just try many different lubricants just like you and me then repack the lubricants with their brand name. One thing for sure is once you found what works the best, that bottle can last forever in our rc application.
I doubt they even test anything.
My guess is they package whatever they want/can, put their brand name on and sell it.

Bearing oil is clearly ATF sold for about a hundred times the price in any servo.

I think they're laughing their arses off watching people buy oil they just pour out of a bottle bought at k-mart.

And yes, any grain of anything in the bearings will make them crunchy as all hell. I actually tried a lot of crap, starting with graphite powder. ATF is the best by far.

Soaking in oil is just wasteful (but if you buy your ATF at the servo, not that big a problem). The real problem is all the crap that sticks to the oil that gets flung everywhere. Which is a bigger problem if you're racing outdoors.

The best upgrade to any car is some driver skill.
niznai is offline   Reply With Quote