R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-14-2016, 03:50 AM   #1
Tech Initiate

Questions?? Help finding a very cheap durable wide wheel well lexan shell for my needs...

Hey fellas, looking to see if its possible to budget in a nice looking ricer shell for my ta05 drifter chassis thats using 6mm offsets in front and 9mm in the rear. I have issues where im having to cut away too much from the rear but more so of the front wheel well to allow for me 45-50 soon to be 55 degree turning radius setup.

My ideal body would be anything that will still look okay with my wheels im guessing something with wide fenders styled setup and im hoping (figuring i cant paint over a R2R led setup) for something mainly that is durable, looks good with my wheels (cant stand my massive wheel wells showing so much of the interior) and has pre installed easy to setup or use leds for drifting at night.

My budget is so small im thinking i probably wont be able to pull this off and just might stick to using my abused but very nicely self painted shell, its just too many post holes, too big of wheel wells, no lights, and no level of detail in terms of decals or anything nice looking like that

I was hoping maybe somewhere online people sell something im looking for used that cost something like 20 dollars. If not can anyone give me some serious ground up pointers on dealing with my wheel well issues, and a cheap way to setup headlights. Id also need a very cheap paint like i said my budget is so damn low its pathetic :P

I do have a lexus body i might be able to work with however its in some pretty horrid shape in terms of the pain im thinking maybe i could plasti dip it with what i left maybe drill holes in the light buckets or what have you. And i do have a tiny can and a half of left over tamiya red to work with on a lancia delta body if i can figure out the wheel well issue.

Anyways sorry for the long post, if you read it all the way through and respond id like to thank you from the bottom of my heart as posts like these where i ramble late at night tend to get ignored a lot on plenty of rc forums.

Also while im here with a new thread can you guys help me with a thing thats been bugging me, idk why but my rc car just likes to run forward like a real car in drive with the foot off the throttle unless i put the f/r trim to 30 fwd and sometimes it seems to change to like only needing 20 or sometimes wanting more than my fsgt3b can do which is 30...

Last edited by TheMadHatta; 12-14-2016 at 04:12 AM.
TheMadHatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 11:29 AM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Also while im here with a new thread can you guys help me with a thing thats been bugging me, idk why but my rc car just likes to run forward like a real car in drive with the foot off the throttle unless i put the f/r trim to 30 fwd and sometimes it seems to change to like only needing 20 or sometimes wanting more than my fsgt3b can do which is 30...
If your car goes forward w/o you applying throttle then it is most likely your "throttle trim" ...I am not sure what type of controller / receiver you have, but almost all controllers will have some type of throttle trim. You'll want to adjust that to prevent the car from going forward w/o throttle.
eR1c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 01:55 PM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eR1c View Post
If your car goes forward w/o you applying throttle then it is most likely your "throttle trim" ...I am not sure what type of controller / receiver you have, but almost all controllers will have some type of throttle trim. You'll want to adjust that to prevent the car from going forward w/o throttle.
Or recalibrate the ESC.
gigaplex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 02:43 PM   #4
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (97%+)

you are running a 190mm body, if you go to a 200mm body, you will not have fender issues, there are companies that sell fender over layers, that you can screw or glue to your existing body, don,t know which route will be cheaper hope this helps
zaraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 04:24 PM   #5
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by eR1c View Post
Sorry im a bit confused in the quote you used it says what tranmitter im using, as for the esc its the ole 60a cougar combo the v1 or original one before they ever even mae a v2 and before the knockoffs were coming out.

I also said in the quote you used that i have the trim set to 20-30 fwd in order to counter act the fact that it wants to move forward when the trim is at 0 and im giving it no throttle. So im looking for a solution where i can dail the trim back to normal without the car wanting to take off on me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigaplex View Post
Or recalibrate the ESC.
How would i go about doing that for the cougar 60a setup and its knockoffs(i have a couple of the knockoffs as backups) I have a programming card that i use but that doesnt let me do any calibration just allows me to tune the accel in fwd rev, and throw in some drag braking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaraz View Post
you are running a 190mm body, if you go to a 200mm body, you will not have fender issues, there are companies that sell fender over layers, that you can screw or glue to your existing body, don,t know which route will be cheaper hope this helps
190mm tamiya? yes, 190mm shell no, ive only ever been running 200mm shells. Tamiya says the ta05 should be running no more than 3mm offset wheels from what i remember, not saying that i cant run higher offset but that standard is to run 3mm with a 190mm shell i believe and no more than 6mm if im going with a 200mm body.

I have a lexus shell thats 200mm and has wide fender arches or what have you as if to look like an aftermarket wide body kit was installed but that shell is just a mess atm and i dont have the materials, paints, etc to fix it up, nor am is that one of the shells i like of all my options.

I do hope im not coming off as rude or shutting any of you guys down i dont mean to sound that way even tho im aware i do at times, im honestly just a very literal person trying to respond to the help you guys are giving me to help aid you in better understanding how to respond back, if that makes sense....

Either way i just wanna mention im greatly appreciative of everyones input so far and hope to get some help until i can reach a solution.
Old 12-15-2016, 05:38 PM   #6
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMadHatta View Post
How would i go about doing that for the cougar 60a setup and its knockoffs(i have a couple of the knockoffs as backups) I have a programming card that i use but that doesnt let me do any calibration just allows me to tune the accel in fwd rev, and throw in some drag braking.
I've not used that one. My advice is check the manual. Most ESCs usually have a push button setup where you set the neutral and end points by pressing the button at the various trigger positions.
gigaplex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 02:08 AM   #7
Tech Initiate

Darn i with that was the case, thanks tho giga. The manual for my leopard is extremely limited on info imo its kinda silly lol. Even the knock off track star esc's i have copy the very limited manual word for word, only messed up part i think about em is they dont come with a programming card, so as soon as my seriously busted programming card goes everythings gonna be stuck on the setting i leave em on :P

Im currently seeing if theres anything i can do on the transmitter sid of things, looking for the pdf manual i saved for it as im typing this, cuz all the videos on youtube dont cover any of the relevant info i need. I mean its working fine with the tinniest bit of cogging like behavior when the throttle us barely touched, i swear they made the trigger on the fsgt3b have such a small if not non existent dead zone on that thing which isnt good for this application, if we were talking video game controller id be in heaven with this small of a dead zone lol
Old 12-17-2016, 06:44 AM   #8
Tech Master

Your throttle issue sounds like you just never programmed your speedo to your remote properly. HPI and protoform make 200mm bodies that will fit on any 190mm designed car. Just because you don't like the Lexus 200mm doesn't mean you won't like something else. And no matter how you describe your personality. You sound rude for someone asking for advise. If there are is a local hobby shop or track. See if someone there can help you with the programming of your remote. They'll probably be able to help you with set up on your car. From the few videos I've watched of drifting. Car bodies should never get damaged drifting. Good luck
Juan Aveytia is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, body, build, shell, tips