R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-19-2016, 07:18 PM   #61
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Which type (grey vs black) has more consistent traction? It's not always about peak grip.
gigaplex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 07:55 PM   #62
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

Thee aren't too many places that you go to that you have options about which track within 45 minutes of you that you want to go to. I know a couple guys that have to choose between a 2.5 or a 3.5 hour drive to the closest carpet track. And I agree (and from what I've read on this site) there are plenty that think the new carpet is too high bite.

And too little traction is easier to drive and dial out than too much.
The brighter the picture, the darker the negative. USVTA member #112
theproffesor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 09:24 PM   #63
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

The black carpet isn't about higher traction, it is preferred because it is more consistent. More consistent from roll to roll, more consistent from Friday to Sunday.
Old 12-20-2016, 05:11 AM   #64
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by (0000000000) View Post
The black carpet isn't about higher traction, it is preferred because it is more consistent. More consistent from roll to roll, more consistent from Friday to Sunday.
Exactly. What we love about it, it gains the groove quickly, but maintains enough traction to run out of the groove for newer drivers. Also, we love that it gets to a certain traction level and stops there. No more rocket round being the 4 round with the highest traction level. It used to be a roll of the dice what the traction level would be the Sunday morning after 3 rounds of qualifying on Saturday. Also temps and humidity don't effect it as much as the old stuff.

**TEAM RCAMERICA**XRAY**HUDY**PROLEVEL RC**
chensleyrc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 04:52 AM   #65
Tech Elite

Less tire wear is a neat trick. And the way F1 & World GTrubber tires hook up is great as well. CA'ing the sidewalls is a small effort. Black carpet rules.
Zerodefect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 05:03 AM   #66
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Anyone try the LCG style 2s packs in spec?
Just wondering if they hold up and have a good enough punch compared to a full size pack for spec racing.

Serpent America/Desoto Racing, McFactory Motorsports, Team Trinity, Pro-Line/Protoform, Hobbywing North America/FalconSEKIDO, HRP Distributing, PTRC Racing, Ho B Max
Antimullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 08:17 AM   #67
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hello All,

I want to put some positive outlook on this. I think Phil is 100 % correct. I love racing and I think anyone who posts on this forum clearly does as well. I think it is safe to say that all of us want to see the hobby grow. I ran at Stock Wars with Phil and I have to say I had a great time. I always have a great time racing. However I do think that the motor of the month thing is ridiculous. You can not expect someone new to the hobby that has an average job to be able to buy a motor every month. It just doesn't seem fair. I also want to say that I think teching at the event went great and I think teching in general has gotten a lot better. But I do believe that if we went to a spec motor in the stock classes or at least create a spec stock class for certain classes that the hobby would definitely grow and that the racing would be even better. I think the objective is to keep people in the hobby and to get more people involved. Not scare people away. With that being said I want to wish everyone a happy Holiday
Old 12-21-2016, 08:25 AM   #68
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antimullet View Post
Anyone try the LCG style 2s packs in spec?
Just wondering if they hold up and have a good enough punch compared to a full size pack for spec racing.
They are more for mod
Old 12-21-2016, 08:31 AM   #69
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Phil... i have just two words for you sir. SOUP NAZI !!!
Old 12-21-2016, 08:46 AM   #70
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

LMAO

Serpent America/Desoto Racing, McFactory Motorsports, Team Trinity, Pro-Line/Protoform, Hobbywing North America/FalconSEKIDO, HRP Distributing, PTRC Racing, Ho B Max
Antimullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 03:01 PM   #71
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sohlman113 View Post
Hello All,

I want to put some positive outlook on this. I think Phil is 100 % correct. I love racing and I think anyone who posts on this forum clearly does as well. I think it is safe to say that all of us want to see the hobby grow. I ran at Stock Wars with Phil and I have to say I had a great time. I always have a great time racing. However I do think that the motor of the month thing is ridiculous. You can not expect someone new to the hobby that has an average job to be able to buy a motor every month. It just doesn't seem fair. I also want to say that I think teching at the event went great and I think teching in general has gotten a lot better. But I do believe that if we went to a spec motor in the stock classes or at least create a spec stock class for certain classes that the hobby would definitely grow and that the racing would be even better. I think the objective is to keep people in the hobby and to get more people involved. Not scare people away. With that being said I want to wish everyone a happy Holiday
But at the same time nobody HAS to buy the motor of the month. Its a fact that time in the hobby trumps money spent. I have proved it time and time again by beating all the team screams, the Fantoms, the 24K certifieds and the Reedys with an off the shelf Maclan because I have spent the time to get the motor operating the way I want to. Would I have been able to do that with a hobbywing 17.5? Absolutely not, but I do not need the newest motor out there to do good or win for that matter.

I have seen so many people buy the newest flavor motor because they are getting beat on the track. $150 for "the one" and they are still getting beat by D4 short stacks. The fast guys will always be the fast guys, so let people run what they want. If someone "needs" to go out and buy the motor of the month to be competitive and you take that away from them it will be the chassis of the month, or the battery of the month, or the charger of the month.

I think more so than classes, speed, tire wars, motor of the month or new chassis every couple months, I think the cliques are more damaging to the hobby. The people that are yelling at marshals, the people who tell someone they cant compete with their TT-01. I think another part that hurts the hobby more than motor wars is the track/store shunning. "Oh I wont race there because......." Some people need to get over themselves and just support local stores/tracks. If one track grows, they all grow together.

Get together and collaborate which classes to run, hold point series together, work together to grow as a whole.
Old 12-22-2016, 09:22 PM   #72
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerobro View Post
IR is "something that's easy to test". Our motors are inductors at frequency. You can do things to make resistance high when static, and drop off at frequency. So the testing should be done at some frequency to match the running conditions.
Kind of interested in this frequency idea, how would you go about implementing it so it could be used to design/build motors and later to tech them?
John Wallace2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 09:47 PM   #73
Tech Fanatic

So many ides here and with the exception of running sensorless so few new thoughts on the subject. Unfortunately from reading on the "Boosted Blinky ESC" thread there even maybe issues with sensorless. I've seen just about all of these attempts at spec racing tried at one time or another and we are still trying to find a way to make it work. Limiting traction certainly takes the motor out of it but the fast guys who know setup will still be fast. IF you want to stop motor wars put in a claimer rule with a set price for the motor (may have to do the same thing for the ESC too). Only thing I've seen stop cheaters and big buck motors. Only problem is that someone else has that motor/ESC.
John Wallace2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 05:31 AM   #74
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerobro View Post
Our motors are inductors at frequency. You can do things to make resistance high when static, and drop off at frequency.
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wallace2 View Post
Kind of interested in this frequency idea, how would you go about implementing it so it could be used to design/build motors and later to tech them?
By definition, resistance is independent of frequency. It does not increase or decrease at different frequencies. That would be called "skin effect", which is a constriction of the cross-sectional area that conducts effectively.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skin_effect

There are ways of decreasing skin effect, but none that are within the motor rules.

Last edited by howardcano; 12-23-2016 at 05:43 AM.
howardcano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 09:07 AM   #75
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Okay, I have a question.

I was just on facebook. In my timeline is an ad from A-Main Hobbies. Trinity Gold Certified 2 17.5 motor. $174.99 If you don't need a motor like this, why are they selling it?

I suppose the better question is how long are going to allow this?
jiml is offline   Reply With Quote