R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-13-2016, 02:33 PM   #31
Tech Regular
 
cpal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Staten Island
Posts: 344
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerobro View Post
Mmm silver brushes and hard springs. Ways to make a motor have a three minute lifespan.

im still sitting on reedy 767 brushes and 4499 trinity brushes as well as a lot of springs
__________________
Chris Palermo - roar 1-91330
GP Racing - Brownies Hobbies -
If You Tempt A Squirrel With A Nut, Be Prepared To Be Bitten.
R.I.P CHESTER P.
cpal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 02:54 PM   #32
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Beneath a rock down by the river. Don't have money for van
Posts: 2,898
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpal View Post
im still sitting on reedy 767 brushes and 4499 trinity brushes as well as a lot of springs
Don't they hurt your behind?
__________________
( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)
30Tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 03:10 PM   #33
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Raleigh, North Carolina
Posts: 2,103
Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scirocco14 View Post
I know it won't be a popular answer, but the answer really lies in making the cars traction limited instead of power limited. Imagine if USVTA or F1 was 13.5 instead of 25.5. Motor wars would be non-existent. That's too much power for those cars & tires to put down. So you'd have to dial the throttle EPA back to make the cars get around the track cleanly. EVERY car would have enough power to spin the tires.

So then it would be up to the driver skill.

Newbies? They don't HAVE to put in a 13.5 (or whatever), they can put in whatever they can handle. As their skill improves, then add power.

We tried a class locally called 'Rat Rods'. Only one rule: you had to use the USVTA tires. Any motor, battery, esc, body, whatever you wanted. The tires became the limiting factor. Pretty much anything more than a 21.5 was too much power. We had guys out there with 10.5, 13.5, 17.5, 21.5, 25.5 motors. All were competitive on our smallish indoor carpet track. You could actually FEEL the tires starting to melt. lol... Cheap racing too. Tech was easy. "got the USVTA tires? Yep? Good."

Just a thought...

What Mark says!

The reason off road is more popular is because there are less restrictions and more natural limitations such as grip and track layout.

Most places in Offroad may run a Pro and a Sportsman class and for the lunatics that want to spend twice the amount to go slower a 17.5 class.

The reason it works is traction limits and driver skill come into play more than pure horsepower.

I can run a cheapo motor and remain competitive all season in off road.

Pro and sportsman classes can work in onroad as well.
The sandbaggers in sportsman just need to be bumped to Pro once they
Start hitting a target time and lap count.

Simple rules - tires, bodies, 2s, 1s, 4wd TC, 1/12 pan, 1/10 Pan, F-1, you can keep popular classes like USGT and VTA too but a sanity limit on motor resistance may be the key as previously mentioned for USGT.

If you think about it the only real Spec that can be enforced is track layout. Everything else there is is a guaranteed cheat.
Darn humans are crafty...
__________________
Aaron Moore

Serpent America/Desoto Racing, McFactory Motorsports, Team Trinity, Pro-Line/Protoform, Hobbywing North America/FalconSEKIDO, HRP Distributing, PTRC Racing, Ho B Max
Antimullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 03:19 PM   #34
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 3,994
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

I would spec (handout) 2100maH batteries. Motor/esc open. Battery capacity will limit the speed and cost same as a set of tires.
__________________
www.rccartips.com
www.f1rccars.com
www.f1rcclub.com
http://www.youtube.com/user/rccartips/
http://www.facebook.com/RCCarTipsFan
rccartips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 03:49 PM   #35
Tech Initiate
 
Will27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 41
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scirocco14 View Post
I know it won't be a popular answer, but the answer really lies in making the cars traction limited instead of power limited.
Some of the best racing I ever had was when our club couldn't get the usual hall in the event centre, we ended up racing with a grip level like driving on ice. You could flick spin your TC with Silver can motor and NiCD battery. You actually had to drive and manage your car, be gentle on the throttle, slow down to stay online and had long braking zones. Cars were squirming around under braking. The racing was epic.

Then I also raced modified, 5 cell 4.5 on the same surface. Crawling around the infield barely touching the throttle, then nailing it on the back straight, before hitting the brakes halfway not to overcook the first corner. Maybe reducing traction this much is going a little too far though
Will27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 04:11 PM   #36
Tech Addict
 
scirocco14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Asheville, NC
Posts: 526
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will27 View Post
Some of the best racing I ever had was when our club couldn't get the usual hall in the event centre, we ended up racing with a grip level like driving on ice. You could flick spin your TC with Silver can motor and NiCD battery. You actually had to drive and manage your car, be gentle on the throttle, slow down to stay online and had long braking zones. Cars were squirming around under braking. The racing was epic.

Then I also raced modified, 5 cell 4.5 on the same surface. Crawling around the infield barely touching the throttle, then nailing it on the back straight, before hitting the brakes halfway not to overcook the first corner. Maybe reducing traction this much is going a little too far though
A local outdoor asphalt oval track started on-road this past summer, using part of the oval and the pit lane for the course. They don't treat the ashpalt with any traction compound, so the grip level is fairly low. It isn't a huge track, with USVTA cars in the 12 second range.

Even with USVTA cars, you have to be smooth on the throttle, braking now becomes a skill and traction rolling isn't even a thought. The cars slide all over the place, especially if you aren't smooth on the inputs. The racing is fantastic, with the cars going through the corners in 4-wheel drifts, side by side. Good stuff!

I actually prefer it over the uber grip of indoor carpet, where if you blink you're traction rolling. I don't have to glue tire sidewalls and can slide the car through the corners under power. Driver skill and smoothness is really rewarded.

In 17.5TC, motor wars are non-existent here as well. I actually won an A-main in 17.5TC this fall with my 21.5 USGT car because I could put the power down better. Any decent 17.5 motor will work, simply because it's hard to use all of the power.

In F1, even though I could use a 21.5 motor, I could do the same laptimes with a 25.5 motor simply because I could put the power down better. But I wouldn't advocate for limiting it to 25.5 motors, because ANY 21.5 is enough. Even the el cheapos.

More traction doesn't necessarily mean better racing. And it certainly is NOT guaranteed to be cheaper or easier. Limiting the cars' speed by limiting power is proving to be a mirage.

Mark
__________________
Mark C. USVTA #115 TC4 & Xray T4 '13, USGT #115 Xray T4 '13
USVTA-F1 #115 F103/4 & F1R3 & WTF1 FC-16. Tamiya M05 M06
Bush River RC, The RUG at King, Ho B Max Raceway, Easley RC
scirocco14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 05:56 PM   #37
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 322
Send a message via AIM to Nerobro
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will27 View Post
Crawling around the infield barely touching the throttle, then nailing it on the back straight, before hitting the brakes halfway not to overcook the first corner. Maybe reducing traction this much is going a little too far though
This is exactly what makes motorcycle racing so exciting.
Nerobro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 07:41 PM   #38
Tech Master
 
1/4milecrazy's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Work, then 46RC
Posts: 1,046
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

I actually don't mind stock racing the way it is now. And I am particularly happy about VTA opening up motor rules to ROAR certified because I hated using the Novak motors.

Handout motors is an okay idea but its not the end all. There are still variations from one motor to another no matter who makes them, so there will always be a faster motor. I have seen off the shelf motors run right along side a certified motor of the same brand/model. I have also seen guys running the best of the best still not win against a guy running cheap off the shelf products.

I also think that limiting traction will also be detrimental to participation. I just went to the track the other day to do some testing and set up. My 17.5 car was so bad I didnt even want to drive it. I made changes, it got a little better but had that been a race night I would have just run my VTA and my 12th scale and would not have touched the TC. I wanted to run USGT really bad because I really liked the idea of the class. A little slower, scale looking bodies. But the USGT tires absolutely SUCK. The foams are terrible. I will not run the class. I feel as though I would only get one or two race nights out of a set of tires/foams. 2 out of 4 of my USGT tires have the foams all bunched up on one side of the tire. They were bought premounted.

I don't know the answers, but I will say if the class bothers you that much then run modified. All of my favorite classes are spec classes. I dont cry about being beat by special hand built motors. If I didnt want to be outmotored I would run a class where I can just motor up.
__________________
1/4milecrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 07:43 PM   #39
Tech Master
 
1/4milecrazy's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Work, then 46RC
Posts: 1,046
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerobro View Post
This is exactly what makes motorcycle racing so exciting.
Actually I think rubbing elbows into T1 with your buddies is what makes it so exciting.
__________________
1/4milecrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 07:56 PM   #40
Tech Elite
 
niznai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: All over the place
Posts: 2,897
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRat View Post
I enjoy the concept and approve of 'spec class' racing, but the only true 'spec class' where all of the equipment is equal and money doesn't matter is in video games.

Spec tires are great, but tire prep and age of the tire makes them unequal. Spec motors are great, but tuning makes them unequal. Spec chassis are basically non-existent but even in classes like Tamiya Mini or the Schumacher Supastox tuning and often invisible mods or even just skill of assembler make the chassis unequal.

The more rules you add the less clear those rules become.

I also believe that in the seemingly endless quest to make everything "spec" about racing we are starting to punish effort, restrict innovators, and reward cheaters. It may not be entirely intuitive but the SLOWER that the cars are and the more rules placed on them to keep them that way the more cheating pays dividends. Nobody ever cheats in Mod, because there would be no point.

I think that most supporters of making everything about racing "spec" do so because they want to make racing more accessible, driver skill more important, and reduce costs. On the surface these are noble efforts, but they never really seem to get closer to this goal so after a while you begin to wonder what they actually achieved? Driver skill is mostly talent and that cant really be taught. Tuning is a combination of good information and the scientific method. And not matter how many rules or regulations, you can still spend exactly as much on racing as you want and more money spent and more time spent may very well mean going faster.

Money. A nice touchy subject in RC racing, but having raced on the shoestring budget of a broke student and with all of the disposable income of a single guy with a job, I realized that these days I chalk up "money spent" under the "effort" category. If you were tied for TQ but in round 2 the other guy bolts up a $200 super-sweet Motiv motor tuned by Paul Lemieux himself and it makes him 3 seconds per race faster, well he didn't do anything illegal so that means he WON. If someone goes out and buys the new XRAY touring car, slaps the Reedy Race champions setup on it, and goes 2-3 seconds per race faster this his old ride, good for him. Or if he went and bought a new setup station and corner scales to set his car up for better weight transfer, or he took the time and money to get to the track to practice the layout and get his setup closer to ideal, all of these are money and effort.

It may sound mean but if you're slow, there is usually good reason beyond not having the Magic Motor and Battery. You lack one or more of the Holy Racing Trinity of TALENT, KNOWLEDGE, and EFFORT. So start trying to make yourself faster rather than spending so much time slowing the other guy down with more rules.
This question came up years ago in the red dot silver can thread. Granpa (where is he?) asked if it was legal under TCS rules to use these motors and in many pages of thread there was no clear YES answer but a silent NO.

And you can count money as effort, I don't think there's anything inherently wrong in that. What I see as wrong however is to spend money on five motors and seven speedies a race and burn each and every one of them to get a win. If that tickles your ego, go forth my son, and may the force be with you.

By the way, you forgot the holy trinity has four components. You left out the most important: luck. Life is a lottery. Be lucky.
__________________
Team Greasy Weasel

The best upgrade to any car is some driver skill.
niznai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 08:10 PM   #41
Tech Master
 
gigaplex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Melbourne, VIC
Posts: 1,288
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by niznai View Post
Granpa (where is he?)
Sadly he passed away earlier this year.
gigaplex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 08:29 PM   #42
Tech Elite
 
jlfx car audio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: jackson,tn
Posts: 3,322
Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1/4milecrazy View Post
I actually don't mind stock racing the way it is now. And I am particularly happy about VTA opening up motor rules to ROAR certified because I hated using the Novak motors.

Handout motors is an okay idea but its not the end all. There are still variations from one motor to another no matter who makes them, so there will always be a faster motor. I have seen off the shelf motors run right along side a certified motor of the same brand/model. I have also seen guys running the best of the best still not win against a guy running cheap off the shelf products.

I also think that limiting traction will also be detrimental to participation. I just went to the track the other day to do some testing and set up. My 17.5 car was so bad I didnt even want to drive it. I made changes, it got a little better but had that been a race night I would have just run my VTA and my 12th scale and would not have touched the TC. I wanted to run USGT really bad because I really liked the idea of the class. A little slower, scale looking bodies. But the USGT tires absolutely SUCK. The foams are terrible. I will not run the class. I feel as though I would only get one or two race nights out of a set of tires/foams. 2 out of 4 of my USGT tires have the foams all bunched up on one side of the tire. They were bought premounted.

I don't know the answers, but I will say if the class bothers you that much then run modified. All of my favorite classes are spec classes. I dont cry about being beat by special hand built motors. If I didnt want to be outmotored I would run a class where I can just motor up.
In the beginning of your rant ,opinion you hit on something . The differences between the exact same run of motors. Yes there are differences but just like you said most time it doesn't matter . If your not one of the 15 drivers up front you wouldn't be able to get the benefit of it anyways . It's more about piece of mind and confidence... I've played this game many time but just recently figured it out . Lol a 150 motor of brand X isn't any faster than the $95 twice gone thru brand X motor 26 of 27 laps... Driver has way too any flaws to make use of the extra 14w .
As for the gt tires they could be better but they are mostly warn from bad setups ... It took me a while to get them to preform without failing but we have had over 2hrs of actual race time on 2 sets of tires and only 1 of the 8 are getting soft . But I will say they do seem to last longer on our AMX cars more so then the xray cars . But that's a setup thing I'm sure .
jlfx car audio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 08:36 PM   #43
Tech Master
 
1/4milecrazy's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Work, then 46RC
Posts: 1,046
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlfx car audio View Post
In the beginning of your rant ,opinion you hit on something . The differences between the exact same run of motors. Yes there are differences but just like you said most time it doesn't matter . If your not one of the 15 drivers up front you wouldn't be able to get the benefit of it anyways . It's more about piece of mind and confidence... I've played this game many time but just recently figured it out . Lol a 150 motor of brand X isn't any faster than the $95 twice gone thru brand X motor 26 of 27 laps... Driver has way too any flaws to make use of the extra 14w .
As for the gt tires they could be better but they are mostly warn from bad setups ... It took me a while to get them to preform without failing but we have had over 2hrs of actual race time on 2 sets of tires and only 1 of the 8 are getting soft . But I will say they do seem to last longer on our AMX cars more so then the xray cars . But that's a setup thing I'm sure .
That is part of the reason to just leave it alone. Although I have been in this hobby for 30 years, I have only been racing 3 or so. But I have never seen any spec class suffer from low turnout. So obviously it is kind of working. There are just a bunch of people complaining about it. The same people that don't run it. Maybe they would if it was "fixed". But what would they complain about then?

The tires wasn't a wear issue. The foams inside the tires just fell apart and bunched up to one side of the tire. I can get traction out of a tire, I cant make foam stay together. If they allowed or used a closed cell foam then I would run the class.
__________________
1/4milecrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 08:56 PM   #44
Tech Elite
 
jlfx car audio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: jackson,tn
Posts: 3,322
Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1/4milecrazy View Post
That is part of the reason to just leave it alone. Although I have been in this hobby for 30 years, I have only been racing 3 or so. But I have never seen any spec class suffer from low turnout. So obviously it is kind of working. There are just a bunch of people complaining about it. The same people that don't run it. Maybe they would if it was "fixed". But what would they complain about then?

The tires wasn't a wear issue. The foams inside the tires just fell apart and bunched up to one side of the tire. I can get traction out of a tire, I cant make foam stay together. If they allowed or used a closed cell foam then I would run the class.
The foam is what I'm referring too . A good setup will keep it from happening as quickly . The tire rolling over on corner entry is what's eating up the foam. The rubber seems great . And when you have the car setup correctly you will see that the rubber will swell up then the inner 1/3rd will get a ring around it and that's why they are done . Like I said Matt lyons ran 6 10min heats at the southern nationals (1st)
Then I ran them for 3 club race days (3 6min heats + 6min main) (+ several test runs of 2-3min each)
Then Cleveland champs I ran the same set all weekend and finished 11th (so 5 runs @ 5min each + 10 2min sessions of practice ) my front left is now starting to get soft .
jlfx car audio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 09:12 PM   #45
Tech Elite
 
niznai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: All over the place
Posts: 2,897
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigaplex View Post
Sadly he passed away earlier this year.
I had a premonition after hearing he was not well. My father passed away earlier this year as well and I haven't kept in touch with the forum much then.

God rest his soul. Funny bugger.
__________________
Team Greasy Weasel

The best upgrade to any car is some driver skill.
niznai is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2 IBLib Electric On-Road 10705 08-14-2017 02:20 PM
T.R.C.R. ---Pit's Talk--- teambighead Northwest Racers 25139 07-11-2017 03:31 PM
Electric Touring / On-Road RC Screaming Wind Manila Racers 32167 05-02-2017 10:20 PM
Cebu RC Car Racing Club jpn Manila Racers 14147 05-27-2016 09:01 PM
The Big Locked Thread donitaROSE Manila Racers 89718 03-26-2015 07:17 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 12:11 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net