R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree29Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-27-2017, 08:30 PM   #136
Tech Regular
 
team green's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: nor-cal
Posts: 277
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbaslash View Post
We've been running 2wd CORR for a few years. My oldest son thinks these race rigs would be a fun class to get into. 3 weeks ago, 2 guys showed up with the new kit at a local hobby shop that has an ozite road course. The next week, there were 4 entries. The shop owner now stocks the kits and has sold 6 or 7 more. Eurotruck is now an official class at the track. I think this will be fun and cheap BTW, it sounds like other parts of the country got a jump on us with this new class. Are they running mod versions anywhere?
A mod class would kill this class.
team green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 08:36 PM   #137
Tech Addict
 
bubbaslash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Northeast Ohio
Posts: 559
Default

Since the main cab is separate from the lower bodywork, I'd like to see some Iveco, Freightliner, Scania cabs just to allow a little variety in the field. Or even some aftermarket decals. Since most Euro cab overs have very similar shapes, different grille and badging decals would be close enough. I've never had much interest in on-road, but this is intriguing for some reason
__________________
X-Factory SCX-61....the ultimate multi-surface missile!
Made in USA!
bubbaslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 11:23 AM   #138
Tech Master
 
eR1c's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,555
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
A mod class would kill this class.
Agreed! You allow modding of this class and suddenly you'll have to drop another $200 into the truck to stay competitive. ...keep is box stock!

for this class I am not concerned about points or placement so much as having fun.
gijoe64 and GrandeGixxer like this.
eR1c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 11:38 AM   #139
MD
Tech Elite
 
MD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Illinois
Posts: 4,865
Trader Rating: 118 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by eR1c View Post
Agreed! You allow modding of this class and suddenly you'll have to drop another $200 into the truck to stay competitive. ...keep is box stock!

for this class I am not concerned about points or placement so much as having fun.
I agree. The original Slash stock class was a blast and people wanted more speed, super handling, etc and the class died. Keep it fun and cheap as possible.
eR1c likes this.
MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 11:12 PM   #140
Tech Addict
 
bubbaslash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Northeast Ohio
Posts: 559
Default

Well, my son says he's going to spring for the kit. I ordered an econo bearing set from Boca and a Turnigy low-profile servo. Does anyone know if the current Tamiya ESC has a lipo cutoff? The local hobby shop permits 2S packs in the class since everyone already has them.
__________________
X-Factory SCX-61....the ultimate multi-surface missile!
Made in USA!
bubbaslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 11:17 PM   #141
Tech Master
 
fyrstormer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Maryland, Near DC, USA
Posts: 1,942
Default

As long as "stock" only refers to the motor and power source, that's fine. If people aren't allowed to tune *at all*, the class will die out anyway, because people will get bored. We're hobbyists, we're not getting paid to race, if we can't tinker in search of that extra 1/10-second, there's no point to it.
__________________
Check out Fyrstormer's Garage in the Chat Lounge.
fyrstormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 11:30 PM   #142
Tech Addict
 
bubbaslash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Northeast Ohio
Posts: 559
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrstormer View Post
As long as "stock" only refers to the motor and power source, that's fine. If people aren't allowed to tune *at all*, the class will die out anyway, because people will get bored. We're hobbyists, we're not getting paid to race, if we can't tinker in search of that extra 1/10-second, there's no point to it.
It would be cool to see these things take off enough to have a stock AND a mod class. I can't drive RC cars to save my life. My sons are the drivers. So I like to tinker. But I see this new class as a "gateway drug" to RC racing, and that's great. Get the kids off their computers and cell phones and onto the race track. My oldest lost interest in racing off road, but he wants to try his hand at this. And there are a couple things the rules don't address. Did I mention Grumpy Jenkins and Smokey Yunick were heroes of mine?
__________________
X-Factory SCX-61....the ultimate multi-surface missile!
Made in USA!
bubbaslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 11:10 AM   #143
Tech Master
 
eR1c's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,555
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
But I see this new class as a "gateway drug" to RC racing, and that's great.
Agreed and that is what the Traxxas Slash class was supposed to be too. Often I am at a race and a spectator comes by my pit area ...the question always comes up "how much do these things cost" (usually after "how fast can they go"). Its nice to be able to tell someone that you can race with us for $250 - $300 (once you figure in battery and charger). Granted we spent a heck of a lot more, I probably have $5k into the cars I race and my pit equipment (granted that is for me and my son), ..but as soon as you tell someone that a typical on-road TC car is about $750 - $1,000 or more they'll never consider racing.

...when I first started I began w/ the Tamiya Mini class. ...cost me about $250 to start. Fellow racers let me use their pit tent and tables, etc... was a very inviting atmosphere and allowed me to really get into the hobby at my own pace w/o plunking down a small fortune.
eR1c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 11:19 AM   #144
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 162
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by eR1c View Post
Agreed and that is what the Traxxas Slash class was supposed to be too. Often I am at a race and a spectator comes by my pit area ...the question always comes up "how much do these things cost" (usually after "how fast can they go"). Its nice to be able to tell someone that you can race with us for $250 - $300 (once you figure in battery and charger). Granted we spent a heck of a lot more, I probably have $5k into the cars I race and my pit equipment (granted that is for me and my son), ..but as soon as you tell someone that a typical on-road TC car is about $750 - $1,000 or more they'll never consider racing.

...when I first started I began w/ the Tamiya Mini class. ...cost me about $250 to start. Fellow racers let me use their pit tent and tables, etc... was a very inviting atmosphere and allowed me to really get into the hobby at my own pace w/o plunking down a small fortune.
Exactly. I started racing a year ago with a TT02, and have built up my pit over the course of the last year little by little on my budget. But I didn't have to dig around for nearly $1000 up front just to get started.

I really like this truck class because it LOOKS fun as hell and will draw people in, especially when they find out that can get racing for under $300 (kit, radio, battery, and basic charger). That'll get them started, just like I did with my TT02, and a year later I'm racing carpet with an ARC R10 with a nearly full pit box, and quality charger/batteries. If I had needed to put up the $1000 at the front, I'd still be home playing video games every Saturday.
__________________
XRay t4 '18 (on it's way) | ARC R10 | Tamiya TA-07 Pro | Tamiya TT02
JoshuaRC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 04:53 PM   #145
Tech Addict
 
bubbaslash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Northeast Ohio
Posts: 559
Default

Got the kit home. Washed and trimmed all the lexan. Decided to go for a look that will set it apart from the others at the track. Going to paint it up in the 1970s Ford W9000 deluxe paint scheme. Medium blue, white and dark blue like the Blue Mule from the movie "White Line Fever". This is gonna be fun
__________________
X-Factory SCX-61....the ultimate multi-surface missile!
Made in USA!
bubbaslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 11:47 AM   #146
Tech Regular
 
team green's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: nor-cal
Posts: 277
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

video of the TCS regionals in Aliso.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLtTE03s1FA
GrandeGixxer and bubbaslash like this.
__________________
I will never go back to brushed motors or NIMH's!!!!
Awesomatix EVO2
Mugen MTC1
Associated B6
TLR 22-4 2.0
team green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 02:11 PM   #147
Tech Addict
 
bubbaslash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Northeast Ohio
Posts: 559
Default

Some good racing there! And cheap!
__________________
X-Factory SCX-61....the ultimate multi-surface missile!
Made in USA!
bubbaslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 05:08 AM   #148
Tech Elite
 
GrandeGixxer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Waldorf, MD
Posts: 2,772
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

I am almost ready to get mine on the track! Just waiting on a couple of battery packs and I need to paint the body.
GrandeGixxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 06:20 PM   #149
Tech Apprentice
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: NorCal
Posts: 51
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Corner Speed / wheel hop

Had a good day at the track, kept it clean and finished in the middle of the pack.

I've noticed the big separator is corner speed ( and slight straightaway ). I wheel hop something fierce into turns. Any tips or tricks? My wife said the top trucks had a lot less of it. TCS rules so I know it's not parts, and absolulety recognize fast drivers will be fast in anything. So are their specific build suggestions? Diff grease amount? Making sure certain screws aren't too tight?

Anyone figure anything out?
mstrfahrenheit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 08:39 PM   #150
Tech Addict
 
bubbaslash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Northeast Ohio
Posts: 559
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstrfahrenheit View Post
Had a good day at the track, kept it clean and finished in the middle of the pack.

I've noticed the big separator is corner speed ( and slight straightaway ). I wheel hop something fierce into turns. Any tips or tricks? My wife said the top trucks had a lot less of it. TCS rules so I know it's not parts, and absolulety recognize fast drivers will be fast in anything. So are their specific build suggestions? Diff grease amount? Making sure certain screws aren't too tight?

Anyone figure anything out?
Friction shock grease, maybe?
__________________
X-Factory SCX-61....the ultimate multi-surface missile!
Made in USA!
bubbaslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tamiya GT Pro Spec Class angrymelon Electric On-Road 19 Today 12:52 PM
tcs in washington subaru73 Northwest Racers 942 10-17-2017 12:01 PM
2016 RC Car World On Road schedule RCCarWorld Mid Atlantic RC Racing 975 09-22-2017 07:00 AM
Tamiya Championship Series 2016 TCS Core Creations Nebraska/Iowa Racing 86 03-12-2016 06:37 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 11:26 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net