Search

Will 21.5 Brushless be the new stock?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2016, 02:50 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jiml
Howard, I hope so.

I read those posts. Is it time we came up with a minimum resistance spec for 21.5 motors? Don't ask ROAR for it, let's come up with it and recommend it to ROAR.

So would it be acceptable to say that touring car should be 3 classes; VTA, GT, and 17.5? And open mod would only be run at the big races?
When do the open mod guys get to practice for the big races with your suggestion?
Old 12-16-2016, 03:41 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by howardcano
I submitted minimum resistance rules when I was the ROAR technical director, more than three years ago. No one else on the executive committee voted yea or nay; I don't even think they believed it was important. If they had acted, we would have avoided both the "short stack" motor war, and the current "skinny stack" motor war. That's a whole bunch of racer's money that could have been saved.
Were those rules ever published?
Old 12-16-2016, 03:45 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by gigaplex
When do the open mod guys get to practice for the big races with your suggestion?
Most of the guys I know who run mod don't run it at their home tracks, at least at club races. Mod is too hard on equipment. When there is a big race coming up, they will run a mod class, but there's usually only one or two heats. And most tracks have a "6 and it's a class" rule.
Old 12-16-2016, 04:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Were those rules ever published?
No. They are still buried in ROAR's internal forum.
Old 12-16-2016, 04:51 PM
Tech Elite

Howard, I hope so.

I read those posts. Is it time we came up with a minimum resistance spec for 21.5 motors? Don't ask ROAR for it, let's come up with it and recommend it to ROAR.

So would it be acceptable to say that touring car should be 3 classes; VTA, GT, and 17.5? And open mod would only be run at the big races?
I feel your class choices are perfect .
25.5 roar already has a lower limit resistance spec .
Not to get them to add a lower resistance spec to the other "spec" motors (21.5 & ¹17.5&13.5)
As of now if I remember correctly 21.5 is currently as low as
27.3 ish inductance
17.5 is 17.6ish
13.5 is in the 10s...
So I think dropping the minimum inductance by .5 and black out the opertunity for manufacture to go any lower
Old 12-16-2016, 06:11 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 315 (100%+)

I've always worked on 30 as a cut off for 21.5 motors, any lower than that when scrutineering warrants a tech inspection. The Team Scream motors which are apparantly below 30 are simply not seen here, so yet to encounter it.
Old 12-16-2016, 06:50 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by nexxus
I've always worked on 30 as a cut off for 21.5 motors, any lower than that when scrutineering warrants a tech inspection. The Team Scream motors which are apparantly below 30 are simply not seen here, so yet to encounter it.
I've had my hands on 2 tsr 21.5s
A base line $95 with a 4line rotor ir 29.2per coil
And a "the one " cream of the crop $150 motor 27.6
Ran same lap times with both . Both felt amazing and at Cleveland champs I ran the std one and still managed to clip off the overall fastest lap not that's a good judgement of performance when one lap don't win a race lol
Old 12-16-2016, 07:43 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Don't get me wrong they sound like a great motor particularly if they are legal but as they are such a small two bit operation with some very obvious supply chain issues, I'd be very surprised to see if they even surface over here anytime soon.

It's never a good look for a new company to have a website where everything is a backorder.
Old 12-16-2016, 07:49 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Don't get me wrong they sound like a great motor particularly if they are legal but as they are such a small two bit operation with some very obvious supply chain issues, I'd be very surprised to see if they even surface over here anytime soon.

It's never a good look for a new company to have a website where everything is a backorder.
There here your just not looking and yes I have had my hands on one or two
Old 12-16-2016, 08:01 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Then you need to share Max!
Old 12-17-2016, 03:22 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

They're back-ordered cause of the extremely high demand. Trinity is much bigger but nobody could get the Monster Motor... now nobody wants it.
Old 12-17-2016, 09:26 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by howardcano
No. They are still buried in ROAR's internal forum.
I spend a lot of time defending ROAR, but it's getting harder.

USGT actually is not a ROAR class, but the rules say any ROAR approved 21.5. Should USGT implement minimum resistance rules on its own?
Old 12-17-2016, 09:30 AM
Tech Elite

USGT actually is not a ROAR class, but the rules say any ROAR approved 21.5. Should USGT implement minimum resistance rules on its own?
I suggested that on the USGT thread, but so far it hasn't happened.
Old 12-17-2016, 09:31 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by jlfx car audio
I've had my hands on 2 tsr 21.5s
A base line $95 with a 4line rotor ir 29.2per coil
And a "the one " cream of the crop $150 motor 27.6
Ran same lap times with both . Both felt amazing and at Cleveland champs I ran the std one and still managed to clip off the overall fastest lap not that's a good judgement of performance when one lap don't win a race lol
Last night I spoke to a couple racers that raced at Stock Wars last weekend. Both raced USGT. Both had the same opinion. If you didn't have a TSR The One you were mid pack. The racer who came in second posted his TSR motor on Facebook. It was sold in seconds.
Old 12-17-2016, 10:17 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

I believe the USVTA/USGT organization is large enough now that it could easily enforce its own standards. And the Manufacturers would comply. Why? Because USVTA/USGT/F1 are 95% of the US market for these motors and easily 80% of the world market. There is no reason to wait on ROAR on this. There is also ZERO reason to make a touring car class with 21.5 or 25.5 motors. There are already classes that exist with these. For the health of our own hobby we really need to stop re-inventing the wheel. There are no excuses of better traction, or cost with TC. Just tune your car to fit the tires. And if you feel you've outgrown the class, get another motor and tires and body for that class and have fun.

Could someone answer this honestly... How many on-road races/tracks are still ROAR sanctioned/sponsored. Outside of the ROAR Nats, I really can't think of anything.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.