R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-09-2016, 10:19 AM   #181
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiml View Post
I'm not running 17.5 I began boycotting touring car when the car prices reached $400. Now they're over $500.

I run VTA with my TC4 that was my touring car back in the day. I do reasonably well and have fun when I race it. I'm not going to win, don't have the skills any more, but as long as it's fun, I'll race it.

The nearest carpet track to me is 360V2. A great track run by some of the best people in the hobby. They don't run VTA, but they do run USGT. I did get a body, and I have a 21.5 motor to use.

However, one racer, who's opinion I respect, has stated that USGT is the new stock. Not just 21.5 TC. If that's true, how can I expect to compete with brand new Awesomatix cars racing my 16 year old car? All of a sudden, the fun is gone.

Here's a question does this also mean 21.5 12th scale?
I understand what your saying but if your looking to move up from vta I feel you will have to pick up a better platform to race with . The tc3 wouldn't be competitive I'm 17.5 nor 21.5 mostly cause of weight but the design is dated .
1/12th scale is a completely different discussion.
jlfx car audio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 10:30 AM   #182
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlfx car audio View Post
I understand what your saying but if your looking to move up from vta I feel you will have to pick up a better platform to race with . The tc3 wouldn't be competitive I'm 17.5 nor 21.5 mostly cause of weight but the design is dated .
Haha, yes it is. 1S 17.5 feels like 21.5 anyways
Old 12-09-2016, 11:02 AM   #183
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Exactly. It's move up, or move out. Due to finances, I'm out.
jiml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 11:03 AM   #184
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnage9270 View Post
Haha, yes it is. 1S 17.5 feels like 21.5 anyways
And what would 1S 21.5 feel like?
jiml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 11:19 AM   #185
Tech Master

Quote:
And what would 1S 21.5 feel like?
Ugh, don't even want to contemplate that...
Old 12-09-2016, 11:43 AM   #186
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 72 (99%+)

Quote:
I'm not running 17.5 I began boycotting touring car when the car prices reached $400. Now they're over $500.

I run VTA with my TC4 that was my touring car back in the day. I do reasonably well and have fun when I race it. I'm not going to win, don't have the skills any more, but as long as it's fun, I'll race it.

The nearest carpet track to me is 360V2. A great track run by some of the best people in the hobby. They don't run VTA, but they do run USGT. I did get a body, and I have a 21.5 motor to use.

However, one racer, who's opinion I respect, has stated that USGT is the new stock. Not just 21.5 TC. If that's true, how can I expect to compete with brand new Awesomatix cars racing my 16 year old car? All of a sudden, the fun is gone.

Here's a question does this also mean 21.5 12th scale?
I don't understand your logic. First you say you know you can't win, but as long as you are having fun you will race.

So why worry about what car everyone else uses. Run your car and have fun.

You also said cost was an issuse. Ok if you are happy with a 16yr old platform. Then you can surely pick up a used Awesomatix,X-ray or some other chassis that's 3-4 yrs old for a little bit of cash.

Then you are in a car that's very capable of getting you right back to racing and knowing you aren't going to win but are doing it just for the fun of it. Now only with a kit that's not so old.

Right where you are now, maybe even in a little better position with the newer chassis.
Old 12-09-2016, 11:44 AM   #187
Tech Elite

Quote:
Exactly. It's move up, or move out. Due to finances, I'm out.
Why not just continue to run vta since its this or quit?
Isn't racing vta better than sitting at home twitilling our thumbs ?
Old 12-09-2016, 12:10 PM   #188
Tech Addict

For what it's worth I started racing Touring cars about a year ago. I have raced off-road for many years. I started racing 13.5 and 17.5 on a 140 x 60 asphalt track. I stopped racing 13.5 for two reasons. I broke a few more parts than 17.5 and I was getting lapped by our local pro's. I did not feel like I was racing as I always had to move out of the way. Keep in mind that I may have finished 5th out of 8 guys. I then changed to 17.5 and 21.5 TC. I now run 21.5 TC because I want to concentrate on one car via set up etc. And feel that it is slightly easier to concentrate on my lines. I do ok with 17.5 when I race. My skill level is pretty good, but we have skilled racers...some travel from far away to race at our facility...

The bottom line is that I enjoy 21.5 TC the most.
SouthFloridaApp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 12:41 PM   #189
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (88%+)

Quote:

Quote:
Same here, I still have an old losi jxrs type r with lot of part.

My goal is not to win but have fun and do the best I can.
Old 12-09-2016, 01:10 PM   #190
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by imprsme View Post
I don't understand your logic. First you say you know you can't win, but as long as you are having fun you will race.

So why worry about what car everyone else uses. Run your car and have fun.

You also said cost was an issuse. Ok if you are happy with a 16yr old platform. Then you can surely pick up a used Awesomatix,X-ray or some other chassis that's 3-4 yrs old for a little bit of cash.

Then you are in a car that's very capable of getting you right back to racing and knowing you aren't going to win but are doing it just for the fun of it. Now only with a kit that's not so old.

Right where you are now, maybe even in a little better position with the newer chassis.
You weren't the only one confused by that. Money is an issue to everyone to some extent and whether due to financial constraint or just a set limit on how much one is willing to spend on the hobby it might never be a perfect fit. If a person loves it enough they will find a way to make it happen. If they don't they move on. Getting 16 years out of a chassis seems a pretty good value to me.
Old 12-09-2016, 01:51 PM   #191
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Why not just continue to run vta since its this or quit?
Isn't racing vta better than sitting at home twitilling our thumbs ?
It would be if the local track ran VTA, but they don't, the nearest track that runs it is 2.5 - 3hrs away.
Kregger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 01:59 PM   #192
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Jim,

Its funny you should mention that, I was running my TA-05 in USGT because my pro4 was down and a USGT racer said to me I have to get what he's running ( I believe it was an awsomematix) to be competitive. I told him no thank you I'm perfectily fine with what I have.

There are a bunch of us that are group together where your TC4 would be just fine in USGT.
Kregger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 02:01 PM   #193
Tech Addict

Quote:
The TC3 is still a very competitive chassis! It was the 21.5t Touring Car National champion in New Zealand this year.

I think the real truth is people get real hung up on having the latest chassis. It doesn't suddenly make you faster. Often over the years I have seen people go slower with a new chassis because they don't understand it, or don't know how to tune it.

Mike
ixlr8nz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 05:49 PM   #194
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I read some/most of this,
a few years ago Roar announced there would be a 21.5 sedan class, most of you bitched, a few locals freaked out, oh crap, I can see it coming Roar is going to make 21.5 the new stock, I said hell yea, I'm in. probably the most fun I ever had coming in second. so the question I have is, do you race RC cars to see how fast you can hang on, or do you race to compete and run door to door with your friends.
#49, #25a, #91, #7, #12 the ones to watch.... UPDATE. #12 is your new AMA GNC #1

A Northwest Team of Positive actions
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 06:04 PM   #195
Tech Elite

When vta was 21.5 I had a blast . We even ran it outdoors and always had a blast ,then boost/turbo came into the mix and kinda screwed things up for our club . But it was a great class speed wise . Now usgt is running the 21.5 motors with a better tire than the vta cars and significantly lighter as well . Love that class cause as you say more door to door racing happens for the avg guy with less "oops" moments .