Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Let's talk race formats

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2016, 06:01 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Hanulec used to run a 24 hour race at his track. That has it's own set of problems.

Yea, I know, I don't race very often. I don't care.

Qual points sucks.

Shorter qualifiers, and longer mains. Not triple A's

The problem with handout motors is brushless motors are way more expensive than their brushed counterparts. And at a big race you would need a quality (and more expensive) motor. Cheap motors are cheap for a reason.

I like the idea of split format race day. 1/12 in the morning, TC in the afternoon. You can choose which part of the day you want to run, and if you're running 2 classes, you're working on one at a time.

And one silly question has anyone even attempted to enforce the ROAR rule about max 1c charging?
Old 11-30-2016, 06:07 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jiml
And one silly question has anyone even attempted to enforce the ROAR rule about max 1c charging?
Not in the rules anymore
Old 11-30-2016, 06:11 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by hanulec
I think finding a way to make an individual's day shorter/more compressed would be ideal. Kind of like snowbirds.. but to a greater degree. track is open, racing is happening, but you are either racing actively, or awaiting another race period to start.

Look at Eos. 2wd runs a bunch (ie multi qual rounds) and then 4wd takes over the program. If this was either laid out based upon generic chassis type (Tc vs pan) or motor class (stock vs mod) I think people would have bigger chunks of time to decide they can do something else, or maybe take a nap, so possibly they can then take advantage of further practice.
In theory I like the idea of say TC in morning, 12th in afternoon. In practice I see 2 issues, 1) sometimes you need filler classes to prevent drivers from being back to back 2)drivers who run both TC and 12th (there were a lot) don't gain anything and thus make it a mute point
Old 11-30-2016, 06:14 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by miller tyme
In theory I like the idea of say TC in morning, 12th in afternoon. In practice I see 2 issues, 1) sometimes you need filler classes to prevent drivers from being back to back 2)drivers who run both TC and 12th (there were a lot) don't gain anything and thus make it a mute point
i think getting the mix here correct is the challenge. but it could open up new opportunities. there are only a few crazy people who do stock+mod and tc+pan. i bet if we just looked at entries from these past three races would could easily come up w/ some common class trends.

then the question would be do we have people run these common classes in the same 'session' or in different 'sessions'
Old 11-30-2016, 06:20 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by hanulec
i think getting the mix here correct is the challenge. but it could open up new opportunities. there are only a few crazy people who do stock+mod and tc+pan. i bet if we just looked at entries from these past three races would could easily come up w/ some common class trends.

then the question would be do we have people run these common classes in the same 'session' or in different 'sessions'
Let's talk at 360v2 next week
Old 11-30-2016, 06:31 AM
Tech Champion

Don't listen to me, I'm an onroad newb. But some things about onroad seem odd to me:

-Why are there three 1/12th classes and five touring car classes? Isn't that a bit excessive?

-Why aren't the rules for big events listed, completely? There are people still out there that don't have a clue what motor/battery/tires to bring. Especially since there's a never ending argument about such things making things even murkier.

-it's really cool how the Snowbirds have oval racing at the same event as onroad.
-triple A mains for mod only. Gives an incentive to run mod, and can you really triple main every class anyways?

Last edited by Zerodefect; 11-30-2016 at 06:56 AM.
Old 11-30-2016, 07:05 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)

I like motocross format. Run a few heats if you win or top 4-5 seed into the mains. Then run a last chance qualifier of shortened duration and 1-3 of those bump to the mains. Then run the mains based on who won the heats, then the LCQ.

The idea here is racing against each other every race. Not the clock in the qualifiers.

Then only use the clock and lap counts as ways to stack the mains properly A-B-C.

Main events always a bit longer than heats and LCQs.
Old 11-30-2016, 07:08 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

I would like to try this format at least once. Where can I find it? Thanks

Originally Posted by mikel33
For the actual racing
  1. Seeding quals, or even just clocking your 3 fastest laps in succession during a structured practice session prior to qualifying. The original vta seeding run was 2 full laps with a warm up and cool down with the next car on the track as you started your cool down lap - just like NASCAR. That is cool when there's 1 person on the stand and a roomful of people watching. I would love to see it at a big race. Having done it, its scary as hell for the average racer when there are 50 or more people watching just you on the track.
Old 11-30-2016, 07:48 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

the 1 min qual works pretty well for the USVTA National races....I really helps sort people out and is a lot of fun.

I like the 3 min seeding round too...but I think 5 min reg quals and 8 min mains is a good option for all classes....

if not AAA mains is the best option....

I also like the hotel races, it allows time when travelling with your family....I can race my race and then hit the pool with the kids and never have to leave the building...also it saves gas and time
Old 11-30-2016, 08:06 AM
Tech Elite

At the very least any race that claims to be big should be running multiple mains.
Old 11-30-2016, 08:10 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

•reedy style
•race directors not afraid to call stop-n-gos
Old 11-30-2016, 08:18 AM
Tech Fanatic

OK, here’s my 2 cents:
I’ve been around the hobby for awhile, 30+years, and I’ve seen a lot of change. I miss some of the old ways, like two classes, stock and modified. But, it is what it is…lol.
I like the controlled practice seeding rounds, it seems to sort talent levels very well.
I like triple A mains, especially for Modified. Not so much for the others.
I don’t like so many classes. Too many TC classes in the mix. A limit to three should be enough for most races. I’m thinking 17.5, 13.5 and open Mod. USVTA has several races a year for the VTA and GT classes. Just my opinion, don’t jump on it too hard. Lol
17.5 Amateur, no sponsored drivers..
13.5 Open to all
Modified hold on as best you can.
Old 11-30-2016, 08:18 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

For club racing, I like the tried and true 3 qual and a main with a resort after round 1. If the race director is doing their job correctly, the resort would be minimal and really only include non-regulars. The RD should be setting up the heats based on knowing their regulars anyway. I like the single main as it can allow at least one bump up. That's always fun if youre having a bad race day and it still allows you to get into the A if it took the whole day to get your mental game together. I've also seen this done at big races and the B-main winner had choice of taking b-main podium OR bumping up. You don't get both.

"Big" races triple mains are the way to go. It's not a single race that decides your fate.
Old 11-30-2016, 08:25 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

There's no need for a National race to take entire week i.e. Snowbirds
Old 11-30-2016, 08:30 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Great conversation!

For the WCICS series we made a pretty major adjustment this season of dropping 1 qualifier (so only 3 on Saturday) and running Triple As and Double Lower mains.

So far the feedback has been excellent and it seems most people are really learning how to race heads up as now they are doing it twice (or three times) as much per race, which has been a problem over the last couple years (in my opinion).

For those that don't know WCICS is an 8 race series up here in Western Canada. Last year we had over 1200 entries over the 8 races with the biggest being 230+ entries in Victoria.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.