Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Let's talk race formats

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2016, 09:48 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

But that's what I'm getting at. On the vast majority of US carpet tracks, particularly the ones that "big" events are held on, the lap time variation between top drivers in 17.5 and mod is less than the variation in the 17.5 class from the a to the lowest main. I will agree that there is a torque and power difference, but it doesn't really show on the track. I'm wondering if, the the newer 17.5's, if there will be any difference at all.

I agree there used to be a ladder system, but without USVTA/USGT being in the mix that's aren't even part of the big sanctioning bodies, there is no ladder.

The reason mod is so small in the US is because a motor war cannot exist in mod. However, create several "spec" classes and a new motor design every six months. Boom instant sales. Create a demand that otherwise wouldn't exist. Unless you over gear a brushless motor they will last forever.

Not the case with the old brushed motors. Commutators wore out, new armature, magnets got weak, new can, brushes. Hell almost every run. And that is just for your average joe racers. Not to include the guys that pushed there motors to the edge back in the day. Back then it was more about how well you could tune the motor, not what brand it was.
Old 12-04-2016, 10:19 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I think one thing that would help a lot is to remind veterans and "the fast guys" that not everyone is a master.

13.5 1/12th seems to be hated, yet it was the class that was the least intimidating to me. I never even knew there was a 17.5 1/12 class. Mod was, dare I say it, scary. I couldn't even imagine buying, what I thought would be, this fragile little pan car to jam a 6.5 in it and have it go into a pipe and turn into a pile of dust. But 13.5 wasn't scary. You know what happened? I got hooked. I love it now. I can tell you with all honesty, that would not have happened with a mod 1/12. Probably would have with 17.5 as well though too. This car is very intimidating to me. I dont know what changes to make to fix my problems. And unless I am with someone that knows how to adjust the car I tend to be nervous about asking people for help. On-road seems very cliquey compared to off road.

I know its "adding more classes" but I think having veteran and novice classes make racing less intimidating for newer drivers. And a lot of people will argue that qualifying and lower mains sort that all out. if 30 drivers show up with VTA cars and half are put in novice VTA and half are put in expert VTA how is that adding another class? I would rather take home a Novice VTA 1st place trophy than a 1st place D main trophy.

It would also allow those that are OK with being slow and just enjoying racing to now have to compete or even be on track with the super fast competitive guys. As well as give slower guys the goal of getting into the expert class if that is what they are looking to do.
Old 12-04-2016, 03:25 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I was at a "trophy dash" race this weekend which had an interesting format. 5 rounds, all finals, no qualifiers. No rounds dropped. Randomly selected starting grid. Final laps/times added together from all rounds, most laps wins. It was great fun and gave the slower but consistent guys a chance at a podium spot. The main downside to this format though was that the guys who are only there to win will pack up and go home early if they have a single bad run early on.
Old 12-04-2016, 08:43 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Chris Adams
1. Shorter races Ex. 3 day race instead of 4!
2. Triple A - mains
3. Less classes
4. Limit entries somehow but stack available classes
5. Take the races out of ball rooms and put them in car shows. Target audience doesn't even know we exist because we are racing in hotels

Referring to the car show idea. Back in 1984, I was 12 when my dad and his friend took two kids to a car show. It happened in South Bend Indiana and it was the Cavalcade of Wheels car show. They also hosted a r/c car race event, and my friend and I sat by the track and collected a piece of tire foam and thought it was coolest thing ever. After that, we both wanted rc cars, and wanted to race. I have been hooked ever since.

Car shows target the perfect audience. People that have the main interest it takes; 1 cars, 2 racing, 3 people that like to tinker with stuff. And IMO it does not to be a huge r/c event at a car show get people interested.

It is too bad we keep r/c racing so closed off to the people that might just really like it.
Old 12-05-2016, 05:12 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by martymiller
Referring to the car show idea. Back in 1984, I was 12 when my dad and his friend took two kids to a car show. It happened in South Bend Indiana and it was the Cavalcade of Wheels car show. They also hosted a r/c car race event, and my friend and I sat by the track and collected a piece of tire foam and thought it was coolest thing ever. After that, we both wanted rc cars, and wanted to race. I have been hooked ever since.

Car shows target the perfect audience. People that have the main interest it takes; 1 cars, 2 racing, 3 people that like to tinker with stuff. And IMO it does not to be a huge r/c event at a car show get people interested.

It is too bad we keep r/c racing so closed off to the people that might just really like it.
I know its not racing, but Traxxas has been doing RC demo at real car events for years. Seems to work for them. And has given the hobby more exposeure then any major RC race event.
Old 12-05-2016, 06:10 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I've been involved with rc races at car shows in the past. While there is a tremendous interest in the racing, very few people make the switch from spectator to participant.
Old 12-05-2016, 06:59 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jiml
I've been involved with rc races at car shows in the past. While there is a tremendous interest in the racing, very few people make the switch from spectator to participant.
I can understand that. It took me 6 years to even try racing. It's takes more then just having interest. Time factor is problem.
Old 12-05-2016, 09:07 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by miller tyme
Almost agree, except for the additional cost part. Mod is cheaper.
This.

The consumables (tires, bodies, parts that wear out) are really similar on a cost basis, but there's no motor of the month to buy, you don't need the best batteries because you already have more than you can use (and most aren't even charging to 8.40v).
Old 12-12-2016, 05:11 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

I personally feel that any major race (over one day in length with four rounds of qualifying, should be qualifying points. With track changes on black carpet, this largely reduces the importance of that one spectacular run and makes every round matter...and not simply the Sunday morning "fast" round. I also think that Triple mains is certainly a plus for larger events such as IIC, Birds, and National caliber events.

Would love to see this in effect at Snowbirds and 2017 Roar Carpet Nationals.
Old 12-12-2016, 10:00 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

At Stock Wars I LOVED the ability to get a quick practice run in between qualifying rounds. If your being "forced" go sit in a ball room all day to run for 15m of racing, there is nothing worse than have to just guess at changes. Being able to test something quickly was very handy (although my results dont show the helpfulness).

I think the practice in-between rounds was the reason that 1-10 in Tc pro was separated by 4s and 1/12 pro by 6s
Old 12-12-2016, 02:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

Hey will never do a layout change during a major race. Particularly the birds. Hell they give the layout out to tracks and those tracks will have birds warm up races with that layout for months prior to the race so drivers can get the perfect set-up.

I think layout changes would be a great idea. We did that for a local points series we ran here in Columbia: new layout for every points race. the only people who saw it were those that wanted to put in the time and come out the day before and help set it up.
Old 12-13-2016, 05:00 AM
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Sam Isaacs
I personally feel that any major race (over one day in length with four rounds of qualifying, should be qualifying points. With track changes on black carpet, this largely reduces the importance of that one spectacular run and makes every round matter...and not simply the Sunday morning "fast" rounds

Completely Agree!
Old 12-13-2016, 05:11 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

I have rarely found a racer who would not like to see qualifying points used at these larger events. There is hardly an argument to be made against it.

We need to continue to get the word out and have organization so organizations like ROAR will take this into consideration.
Old 12-13-2016, 12:09 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

ROAR was qual points for everything at one time, but I know carpet was changed back, and 1/8 on road as well if I remember right.
Old 12-13-2016, 02:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Sam Isaacs
I have rarely found a racer who would not like to see qualifying points used at these larger events. There is hardly an argument to be made against it.

We need to continue to get the word out and have organization so organizations like ROAR will take this into consideration.
Well Sam, Add me to that list of rare racers. I DETEST QUAL POINTS systems. I remember a race several years ago, that my gear was top notch, driving better than my usual failure laden practices, and I had the same idiot take me out in two heats while LAPPING him. 4 quals, best of three for points. FTD qualifying would have placed me 6th on the grid based on my best run, qual points left me 11th. Won the B by a full lap+. Qual points reward the upper end of the order, but if you're a good driver with a shot at a good result, who happens to get stuck in crap heat by luck of the draw, more often than not, you're screwed. I say RESORT after every round, FTD format.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.