R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-30-2016, 05:27 PM   #46
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Adams View Post
How much can a big spot in a car show actually be? Dont people pay to get into those events? I doubt the car show charges much for a car to come in. It would be part of the entertainment for the weekend. I imagine at a big car show, people would be stacked up ear to ear to watch small cars battle it out at speeds they didn't even know could be possible.

Also, combine usvta and usgt into one scale class with one set of rules.

Limiting entries into few classes makes events more prestigious. This allows organizers to set up qualifying events. (Roar) This also allows for triple A-mains.
Well I know our fair grounds building here in Jackson TN is 150x150 of open floor and a few yrs back we did a stereo show there and it was $1000 for the property use , $750 per covered pavilion(100x200)
And 4500 for the indoor area for one day . And during car shows venders usually set up booths, and rent out 20x20 indoor spots ... So I would find it really hard to get the indoor area during a car show .
As for parking lot racing it would be the best option . Did this a few yrs at a toys for tots car show in a near by town . Tons of spectators but unfortunately it was 80miles from our club race area (msra in Memphis )so not many if any actually joined ...
I tell ya renting out a empty store in a shopping center for a week might be a better angle to approach if someone knows how to work the system to get it at a cheap rate ... Just a thought
jlfx car audio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 05:41 PM   #47
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Adams View Post
How much can a big spot in a car show actually be? Dont people pay to get into those events? I doubt the car show charges much for a car to come in. It would be part of the entertainment for the weekend. I imagine at a big car show, people would be stacked up ear to ear to watch small cars battle it out at speeds they didn't even know could be possible.

Also, combine usvta and usgt into one scale class with one set of rules.

Limiting entries into few classes makes events more prestigious. This allows organizers to set up qualifying events. (Roar) This also allows for triple A-mains.
Would depend on the car show. Take World of Wheels. Travels across the states. All different kinds of real cars. A 20x20 space at the Chicago show will run over $2,000. And how big of space would be needed, even just to do local club exhibition race.
Billy Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 06:12 PM   #48
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

more practice 'during' races would be useful (for me) -- but that is the total opposite for an ETS race. drivers are given 3x 4m runs before qualifying starts.

the mixture of racing/practice at birds is killer --- but even that on-road program could be cut into different 'sessions'...
FJ / ROAR #2-122945 / MaxRotation FPV Drone Racing / Shop@ Awesomatix USA / Wild Turbo Fan / Mon-Tech Racing / RocheRC USA / Side Piece /
LRP / John's BSR Tires / TeamEAM / TQ Wire / R1 / Team Scream / PCR / MIX
RacerLog wiki Awesomatix A700 / 2wd offroad 4 life
hanulec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 07:15 PM   #49
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlfx car audio View Post
Well I know our fair grounds building here in Jackson TN is 150x150 of open floor and a few yrs back we did a stereo show there and it was $1000 for the property use , $750 per covered pavilion(100x200)
And 4500 for the indoor area for one day . And during car shows venders usually set up booths, and rent out 20x20 indoor spots ... So I would find it really hard to get the indoor area during a car show .
As for parking lot racing it would be the best option . Did this a few yrs at a toys for tots car show in a near by town . Tons of spectators but unfortunately it was 80miles from our club race area (msra in Memphis )so not many if any actually joined ...
I tell ya renting out a empty store in a shopping center for a week might be a better angle to approach if someone knows how to work the system to get it at a cheap rate ... Just a thought
There was actually a store doing this a few years back. I saw it in the bay area I can't remember the name of the mall though. I'm not sure what happened to that retailer, but I do remember it being extremely popular with kids. They had cars ready to go and a little race course set up. Very cool idea for someone looking to start a little business. But, it would take quite a bit of dedication. The retail space in the mall for a month is generally not that expensive...Mall management likes to have spaces filled… No vacancy equals success. They often make deals with people for these temporary operations. The issue is that generally management likes to have all the spaces open during mall hours… Just like a regular store would be open. Just some thoughts from someone related to someone in the know.
JeffofSpace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 05:03 AM   #50
Tech Master

I made this post last year regarding lap racing:

Lap Racing

Racing has been following the same format for years. 2-4 qualifiers and a main. Sometimes triple a-mains. But still a 6 or 8 minute race. Bump-ups are nice, too. Still the same old format, in general.

How about changing it up a little, at least for the mains? I know several of the scoring programs have the ability to do lap racing. When the leader crosses the line to complete the race, it then has everyone else finish the lap they're on.

Say the TQ does 42 laps. The A-Main is then 45 laps long. Just round up to the nearest 5. (If the TQ was at a "5", like 45 or 50, then you can leave it at that number or go up to the next multiple of 5).

If there's lower mains, the race distance is set by the laps done by car #1 in that particular main, rounding up to the next multiple of 5.

Now in the cases of VTA or USGT (where you run a 6 minute qual and an 8 minute main) take the number of laps and multiply by 1.333, then round up to the next multiple of 5. For example: TQ does 36 laps. 36*1.33 = 47.9. Round up to 50 for the main.

Two things off the top of my head that would occur with lap racing in the mains:

1. Say the lead car has a lap on the field, but breaks on the last lap. The race isn't over! Until someone crosses at lap 50 (or whatever the race distance is), the race continues. Under the current system, that leader would still win, despite not running the full race distance.

2. The lead car has a 1 second lead on 2nd place. Leader beats the timing loop, but the 2nd place car gets caught at 8:00.03. Leader gets that "bonus" lap, where he could crash, roll over, etc. With lap racing, the guy in 2nd still has a shot to win if the leader makes a mistake. This can also be the case for close races between 2nd and 3rd, 3rd and 4th, etc.

Badly influencing a new generation of racers!
~McSmooth~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 05:40 AM   #51
Tech Champion

Not a bad idea, but RC on road closely follows full scale sports car racing, and those are timed events.

But here's a thought. The way race software works now, the race ends when the clock expires. In full scale racing, the clock keeps going until the leader crosses the line. Shouldn't we do that in RC? that would stop second place from "getting caught."
jiml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 06:36 AM   #52
Tech Elite

Location: Beneath a rock down by the river. Don't have money for van

@Jiml, timed events in full scale? I don't remember any on road class that does it. Daytona 500, F1 races have a determined race distance and so on...

I mean, scale timed events are spectacular like the 24 minutes of X (or 12 minutes of X) some clubs done here (one even goes 24 hours!)...
Old 12-02-2016, 08:27 AM   #53
Tech Champion

All IMSA and WEC events are timed events.
jiml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 11:29 AM   #54
Tech Master

F1 does have a maximum time limit. Think German touring car racing also does.
Billy Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 12:03 PM   #55
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 72 (100%+)

Too many classes
RBLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 12:47 PM   #56
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

If you've spent any time around me at a big race, you've heard my thoughts on this. VTA and USGT are literally the dumbest thing I could imagine being brought to a large national event. When I see people with brand new Xray's, Ax's, etc running this, you've lost the point of the class. Dilution of racing is such a issue, but we have beaten this dead horse over and over again.

13.5--filler/in-between classes for 12th and TC, gotta go.

I personally don't see any issue with having formula 1 and a 10th scale pan car class (be it WGT-R or 235) to go with the usual 12th and TC class, but having two 12th scale classes and two TC classes makes a whole lot more sense then having a total of 7, and if trends in classes continue at the birds, it will be 8.

I have ran 4 classes at Vegas and at Cleveland this year, and I'm saying this for a race director to save me from myself, but limiting the amount of classes one person runs would benefit as well. 2 to 3 tops.

Hyperform racing--In memory of Lino
Bigdaddyswank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 02:26 PM   #57
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdaddyswank View Post
If you've spent any time around me at a big race, you've heard my thoughts on this. VTA and USGT are literally the dumbest thing I could imagine being brought to a large national event. When I see people with brand new Xray's, Ax's, etc running this, you've lost the point of the class. Dilution of racing is such a issue, but we have beaten this dead horse over and over again.

13.5--filler/in-between classes for 12th and TC, gotta go.

I personally don't see any issue with having formula 1 and a 10th scale pan car class (be it WGT-R or 235) to go with the usual 12th and TC class, but having two 12th scale classes and two TC classes makes a whole lot more sense then having a total of 7, and if trends in classes continue at the birds, it will be 8.

I have ran 4 classes at Vegas and at Cleveland this year, and I'm saying this for a race director to save me from myself, but limiting the amount of classes one person runs would benefit as well. 2 to 3 tops.
I agree too many classes. but to be fair if we go by what people choose to run in sedan based classes at US Champs 17.5 sedan on top, USGT second, Mod sedan, VTA, then 13.5 sedan.

pan classes Stock 1/12(largest class over all!), 13.5 1/12, mod 1/12, pro 10

Like I said I agree too many classes but consideration should be done to what the racers are already choosing as a majority not what the minority of racers are choosing to race when cutting classes, changing classes, claiming 1/12 is dead.... oops did that slip out?

MMR Direct Minneapolis World Class Indoor Race Facility.
On Road and Off Road racing year round.

www.molzermoweryracing.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/MMR/160679913944205?__req=9

Check out You Tube mmrswracing. Every qualifier and every main uploaded at the end of every race day.
ammdrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 03:33 PM   #58
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I know I never asked for VTA or USGT to be included in any "national" race. We have always had our own events. I have been contacted by race organizers who wanted to include the classes to GET PARTICIPANTS TO THEIR RACE.

Ask yourselves what is wrong with everything else that these classes are included at big events. USGT was the second biggest sedan class in Cleveland....why?

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
robk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 04:22 PM   #59
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by robk View Post
I know I never asked for VTA or USGT to be included in any "national" race. We have always had our own events. I have been contacted by race organizers who wanted to include the classes to GET PARTICIPANTS TO THEIR RACE.

Ask yourselves what is wrong with everything else that these classes are included at big events. USGT was the second biggest sedan class in Cleveland....why?
Cause the cars are driveable without having a degree in setup . They require less maintenance. Acceleration isn't slow but not as fast as the spec classes . Also the tires normally last way longer and this is the spec tire across the nation which keeps us from having to buy tires for a event just to never use again .
This new breed of motors have definitely sped things up in all classes but just another good reason to get rid of 13.5 and introduce this class as the new standard of stock label .
jlfx car audio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 04:31 PM   #60
Tech Elite

Location: Beneath a rock down by the river. Don't have money for van

That's right, the Endurance events. Speaking of those: the issue seems to be the overwhelming different classes. Why not making some races equal to Le Mans with Pro10-Pro12 and TC being run at the same time depending on lap time? Stock preferably.

I have two 13.5 cars but would vote to get rid of them and just use 17.5.