R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   opinion on it the TRF101 is still competitive compared to 2016 cars? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/969408-opinion-trf101-still-competitive-compared-2016-cars.html)

hannhann00 11-29-2016 12:12 AM

opinion on it the TRF101 is still competitive compared to 2016 cars?

Hi i'm looking at a TRF101 (which from what i've read was better in some ways over the TRF102?)... I wanted to know is this is a decent competitive car vs the modern day competition (X1/ SP F1/ rebel, YR1, etc)?

Thanks

Chaz955i 11-29-2016 04:22 AM

Originally Posted by hannhann00 (Post 14750808)
Hi i'm looking at a TRF101 (which from what i've read was better in some ways over the TRF102?)... I wanted to know is this is a decent competitive car vs the modern day competition (X1/ SP F1/ rebel, YR1, etc)?

Thanks

On carpet I had problems getting enough steering out of the 101 and the differential was tough to set where it wouldn't slip excessively. Also the front end tended to come apart if I brushed a board. I went to the XRay and the car was better in all those areas. On asphalt it might be different.

hannhann00 11-29-2016 05:58 AM

hmm interesting, thanks for the input... it's asphalt here so if anyone has experience on asphalt using rubber please let me know. Also interested to know the strength of the car vs others?

vivo quevas 11-29-2016 12:01 PM

The TRF 101 is a great car I have a friend that runs one it runs great. I bought myself one for Christmas so I can race at up coming TCS race. I had a F104v2 and I never liked it it was way to twitch.yOn asphalt I driven 101 it was great you may have to replace the bevel washers in the diff to get it smooth.

IndyRC_Racer 11-29-2016 01:05 PM

These types of threads/questions can result in a wide variety of answers. If the original poster can provide some information on what type of track they were thinking of racing at and what type of rules will be used, it will help people provide better answers.

For example, certain types of designs perform better on loose asphalt and not as well on high bite carpet. Not to say a certain chassis can't be a good performer overall, but if you have a specific type of racing surface there may be a better option.

Tamabuchi Corp 11-29-2016 02:03 PM

I race with a mixed group on different car park surfaces in my area. 6cars im total. Timing gear.

Half way through a 10 race 'season' one of the guys got a trf101 and won 3/4 of the last 4 races and got a 2nd place.

One of the other guys switched to an xray 16 spec also half way through the season, He didn't win a race but set fastest laps. Interestingly his 'old car' was a trf101..

So I guess in the right hands its a great car.. the X-ray also looked fast, probably faster when the guy finds his set up etc..

We race in various weather and conditions and that has the greatest bearing on traction.. We have to use literally all the different manufacturer tyre compounds through the year..

On an indoor track with stable conditions I suspect the X-ray would have the edge on the trf101.

As a side note 2 of the other cars are modified 104s 1 was a Roche rapid 104 upgrade and the other was a vbc fx.

The biggest advantage I see between Tamiya cars and the other high end chassis is that the high enders have tremendous cornering ability over the Tamiyas but stay planted on corner exit..

You have to get very crafty with Tamiya front ends to get near the X-ray just out of the box.. and I suspect official racing events would be against some of the things I've seen done!

Dan 11-29-2016 04:15 PM

I raced the TRF101 heavily for a year and half. The newer cars juse blow it away on handling, both asphalt and carpwt. I have since sold my TRF101 and went Xray. Most manufacturers are finding out the transverse battery setup is working pretty well for most conditions. Plus the 101 geometry is not aggressive enough.

hannhann00 11-29-2016 09:02 PM

Great tips thanks to all for the info.