Wiki Posts
Search

Sidewall gluing how-to for high traction carpet racing

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2016, 07:34 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default Sidewall gluing how-to for high traction carpet racing

Gluing the front sidewalls of rubber tires seems to be a must for racing on high traction surfaces like the new CRC Black Carpet, to prevent traction rolling. I looked around, and wasn't able to find any advice on a technique that provided results that both performed well and looked good. I finally found a solution while racing at my local track, and created a video to help share this method with the masses. Feel free to comment, or ask any questions, and ill be happy to answer them.

https://youtu.be/nb8p6z33z3A

Feel free to comment or offer any suggestions.

Last edited by wkderf; 11-28-2016 at 10:10 PM.
Old 11-28-2016, 08:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Thanks for creating this video. It is a good basic tutorial.

I'm not sure if you have anyone racing VTA or Tamiya M-chassis cars at your local track. Classes that can run treaded tires will often glue the outer most tread on the tire depending on the characteristics of the tire or if the chassis has limited tuning options.

Sent you a PM on additional suggestions.

----------

One of the things I liked about this video is that it showed a way to glue the sidewall and keep the glue looking shiny. I hate it when I make a glue mess on the outside of my tires and they look all cloudy.

Last edited by IndyRC_Racer; 11-29-2016 at 11:31 AM. Reason: Additional comment
Old 11-28-2016, 10:52 PM
Tech Regular

Video link updated.
Old 11-29-2016, 08:56 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Great video. Thanks
Old 11-29-2016, 10:36 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

No doubt that this method works, but I found that putting a lot of glue on the sidewall of the tire can alter the tires performance and require some re-tuning.

If your car works well without glued tires and you would like them to perform nearly the same but with glue preventing rollovers, I mount unglued tire on the car, load up a Q-Tip with super thin CA glue as if it were ink or paint, and spin the tire on the car use the CA to very thinly coat the tire sidewall to a point about 2mm short of the contact surface. This leaves the tire with all of its flexibility, and saves you in rollovers.

Adding more glue and hardening the tire can be good in some situations, but can often mean you are sanding and re-applying. It's just not my thing, I guess.
Old 11-29-2016, 11:25 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Running on the CRC black carpet you definitely need to glue up the sidewalls like the video. Thin coat would scrub away in the first couple of corners.
Old 11-29-2016, 11:31 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Carnage9270
Running on the CRC black carpet you definitely need to glue up the sidewalls like the video. Thin coat would scrub away in the first couple of corners.
I respectfully disagree. The CRC black carpet is pretty non-abrasive, and the thin coat has held up fine on much more abrasive surfaces. One coating lasted the whole 2014 IIC, which was the older more abrasive carpet, and lasts the life of tires at TQRC in LA, which is more abrasive as well.

I admit that I have not done an apples-to-apples test with my glue job on actual CRC black carpet, but you clean your tire so you have good adhesion the math works out.
Old 11-29-2016, 11:51 AM
Tech Elite

I think it is safe to say that the thickness of the glue, how much surface of the sidewall is glued, and if someone chooses to glue a portion of the tread are all different tuning aids.

The video is a great way to introduce someone to the concept of gluing tires. The only additional advice we might give people is to add as little glue as needed until you get the desired result you are looking for. If you want to take traction away, you can always glue more of the side wall. I believe that this was mentioned in the video.
Old 11-29-2016, 12:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Carnage9270
This is just not true
I been glueing tires for one year now and I use a tire sander a fingernail file thin instant CA glue .and Matt lyons wins with these technique . I scrub the tire at med-high rpm then clean them with cleaner wile still sticky .
Then go low-low rpm (40rpm ish)
Dip Qtip, and work it from center out . And continue contact as it spins for about 20 sec . Let that tire sit wile I do the rest (no activator)
The repeat this one more time to insure same measurement between tires most all my glued tires in TC are 60mm
Usgt 62mm
Old 11-29-2016, 12:58 PM
Tech Elite

I would suggest that the people who feel they have better procedures to glue sidewalls add to this thread by creating their own videos. I would also suggest that people provide more info on their specific racing conditions such class/tires/traction compounds/typical race entries, etc. Your specific way of prepping your tires may be the best solution for how/where you race, but may not be optimal for individuals in other situations.

Again, I appreciate the fact that the OP created a video because he couldn't find anything online showing gluing tires that performed well AND looked good.
Old 11-29-2016, 02:25 PM
Tech Champion

How much does all that CA weigh ??? Lots of rotational mass there...
Old 11-29-2016, 03:02 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by bertrandsv87
How much does all that CA weigh ??? Lots of rotational mass there...
A fraction of a gram. But if you'd rather be a traction rolling lightweight, be my guest. If you ever go back to the track, that is.
Old 11-29-2016, 03:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

That video is pretty spot on with 90% of the racers . I've seen some wildly over glued tires . Lol I would say a thick glue job is more prone to damage during a race and requires more maintenance and repair . And the risk of it not feeling consistent thru the run also . A thinner more flexible glue job will preform more consistent if you do hi-five the boards . Lol

One more tip , clean the glued area between runs to keep it from building up rubber on the glue .
Old 11-29-2016, 04:36 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I've also seen people wrap a thin layer of tape around the outside of the tires in high traction.
Old 11-29-2016, 07:42 PM
Tech Regular

I have tried using a thin CA, and found that a single thin coat would seep into the rubber and still allow flex, or multiple coats of thin CA would crack during use. And many many layers of thin CA would work, but looked horrible and were not smooth.

I'm not saying my method is the only solution to this problem, I just wanted to share a method that worked well for me, and has world well for those I race with at my local tracks.

Last edited by wkderf; 11-29-2016 at 10:12 PM.