R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Spec tc chassis (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/969251-spec-tc-chassis.html)

TeamThibault 11-27-2016 02:11 PM

Spec tc chassis

If you where to pick a chassis to start a spec tc class what chassis would you go with?

SteveM 11-27-2016 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by TeamThibault (Post 14748953)
If you where to pick a chassis to start a spec tc class what chassis would you go with?

Spec to what standards?

gigaplex 11-27-2016 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by SteveM (Post 14748963)
Spec to what standards?

I'm guessing the "everyone has the same chassis" standard.

I'd consider something on the cheaper end of the scale, such as a TA07 or TC4. I've heard good things about the BSR BT-4 but parts availability may be a concern.

peter george 11-27-2016 02:48 PM

Tc4 still best bet, you can pull into a 711 at three in the morning and get coffe and hot dog plus TC4 spares, ( the above statement is an exaggeration of cours but still the point is that tc4 is safest bet)

SteveM 11-27-2016 02:49 PM

If a 'Cheap Box Stock' class is the goal, then maybe a kit that includes motor, ESC tires and rims might be the way to go. I have been thinking along the same lines and thought that maybe a Tamiya TB-02 class might work well as an entry-level class.

Run the kit silver can motors, on fixed gearing with the included ESC. I know that RCMart sells several models of the TB-02 for under $80 USD. When you consider you get a Tamiya body, motor, ESC, tires and rims it starts to look pretty inexpensive.

Qatmix 11-27-2016 03:20 PM

The BT4 has a lot of bang for the buck and it has proven very strong for my lad who has been racing it.

The TA07 is very capable, surprisingly so and parts are easy to get. It is a bit heavy in stock form, but that also makes it easy to drive.

mooby64 11-27-2016 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by SteveM (Post 14748995)
If a 'Cheap Box Stock' class is the goal, then maybe a kit that includes motor, ESC tires and rims might be the way to go. I have been thinking along the same lines and thought that maybe a Tamiya TB-02 class might work well as an entry-level class.

Run the kit silver can motors, on fixed gearing with the included ESC. I know that RCMart sells several models of the TB-02 for under $80 USD. When you consider you get a Tamiya body, motor, ESC, tires and rims it starts to look pretty inexpensive.

The fact the most Tamiya bodies cost in excess of $40, the TB02 kit, at $80, is a steal.

SteveM 11-27-2016 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by mooby64 (Post 14749033)
The fact the most Tamiya bodies cost in excess of $40, the TB02 kit, at $80, is a steal.

Exactly my point, and even more so when you factor in the cost of the included brushed/brushless ESC, rims, tires and the silver can motor. These parts alone must be worth another $40 if not more. The chassis is basically free.

gigaplex 11-27-2016 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by SteveM (Post 14749035)
Exactly my point, and even more so when you factor in the cost of the included brushed/brushless ESC, rims, tires and the silver can motor. These parts alone must be worth another $40 if not more. The chassis is basically free.

The downside is that the silver can motors are very inconsistent. Once the class is established and people get sick of the motors, there needs to be some kind of upgrade path. Perhaps a dual spec where silver cans plus some rough equivalent cheap brushless system are allowed to run together. The beginners aren't going to be disadvantaged much by the motor difference since their driving will be the biggest influence.

SteveM 11-27-2016 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by gigaplex (Post 14749042)
The downside is that the silver can motors are very inconsistent. Once the class is established and people get sick of the motors, there needs to be some kind of upgrade path. Perhaps a dual spec where silver cans plus some rough equivalent cheap brushless system are allowed to run together. The beginners aren't going to be disadvantaged much by the motor difference since their driving will be the biggest influence.

I think that a 21.5 brushless with the same fixed gearing would be bullet-proof

Lord_Darkhelmet 11-27-2016 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by TeamThibault (Post 14748953)

Hands down the TC4. No upgrades required out of the box like bearings, oil shocks or cvd axles that you have to buy for pretty much any tamiya. The tc4 handles well, can take a beating (just ask my nephew) and is cheap/easy for replacement parts. Car isnt perfect and has couple downsides. Gearing is troublesome you need really small spurs and have to dremel the chassis for pinion clearance. The car comes assembled with varying levels of build quality. The car is all imperial so crack out your selection of 3/16 x 3/8 bearings and 4-40 screws.

Heathen 11-27-2016 09:22 PM

IMO the Race Opt - MTS T^2 is the best option for a spec chassis. It is cheap, tough and all plastics can be replaced with X-ray if you have a really abusive driver.

Here is the USA distributor.
http://www.dischargerc.com/collectio...t-ro-mts-t2-01

http://cdn.rcmart.com/images/mts-t2-7.jpg

I race the FWD version in USGT and it is a very tough fast car.

vdubfan86 11-27-2016 11:04 PM

The TA07 is a good chassis. One of the guys I race with has two for asphalt racing. One for 17.5 TC and he just bought another to replace his TC6.1 as a USGT car. He won the 17.5 A Main against TC7.1's and TC7's at a recent trophy race. IDK what surface you're racing on but the flex in the chassis is perfect for lower grip tracks.

niznai 11-27-2016 11:38 PM

Sounds like the TC4 is your choice, but you will still have to spec the tyres. Most kit tyres are crap.

The TA07 is a heavy pig and a complicated car at that. Not worth it in my opinion. Plus it limits your options in parts supply. Price might swing it though, so go with what you can easily get.

If the class is not slow enough, you will also have the bodyshell problem. Tamiya bodies are just a nice looking scale model, for higher speeds they don't work. Look into some cheap body you can get locally (I guess you will end up with some sort of EFRA/ROAR/whatever approved body, probably a good outcome).

I would also look into a cheap BL system for simplicity sake. Silvercan sounds good, but it isn't. It has fuelled in the past a real craze in modifying these to the point that people were paying big bucks to get any extra advantage, real or imaginary. They were of course crazy fools, but you can't guarantee it won't happen again. 21.5 is plenty fast even if run in blinky. You will however have to spec the motor otherwise you'll have another money war on your hands.

SteveM 11-28-2016 04:39 AM

Originally Posted by Lord_Darkhelmet (Post 14749428)
Hands down the TC4. No upgrades required out of the box like bearings, oil shocks or cvd axles that you have to buy for pretty much any tamiya. The tc4 handles well, can take a beating (just ask my nephew) and is cheap/easy for replacement parts. Car isnt perfect and has couple downsides. Gearing is troublesome you need really small spurs and have to dremel the chassis for pinion clearance. The car comes assembled with varying levels of build quality. The car is all imperial so crack out your selection of 3/16 x 3/8 bearings and 4-40 screws.

I disagree. The TC4 needs too much hands-on experience (Dremel work, etc) to make it run right and will not accommodate a silver can motor. Besides at $150 USD it is way more expensive, has no body, ESC, motor, tires, or wheels and is old school imperial hardware.