Community
Wiki Posts
Search

1/12 banked oval track??

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2016, 06:44 PM
Tech Rookie

Questions?? 1/12 banked oval track??

So this is maybe a odd and rare question but has anyone raced on a oval track that was banked? I have a track near me that belongs to friend but questions are... track has 10deg and 5deg banks and ive got car running well but seems like drives better after the front tires have worn down and start to wear odd like funnels the tire so the left front will be worn like someone taken tire and cut tire at angle with most tread to inside of car and least to outside of wheel.. question is would it benefit me to make my car have camber positive left front and negative on right front? so car can cut corners faster and maybe help with wear? I appreciate all the help im new to oval track and do this when not doing speedruns.
Old 11-24-2016, 07:33 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)

Yes years ago, we used to run on bicycle velodromes. with staggered capped tires. look up the "whip" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRLkKghYxe0&app=desktop

its been so long, but we would run different caster bias, as well, with the split Cheetah front end, Buds Speedmachine front end or Trinity's reactive caster front. offset T-bars hubs etc.
Old 11-24-2016, 07:56 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 377 (100%+)

Wow what blast from the past videos ! Looks like a lot of fun, oval is on my Rc bucket list for sure
Old 11-24-2016, 10:09 PM
Tech Rookie

dang wont let me post a video, its under my channel david downs and is listed 1/12 oval race i drive the blue latemodel body crc 3.1 carpet knife
Old 11-24-2016, 10:10 PM
Tech Rookie

youtube.com/watch?v=xnI_VfNbMpE&t=2s
Old 11-24-2016, 10:11 PM
Tech Rookie

youtube.com/watch?v=xnI_VfNbMpE&t=24s
Old 11-24-2016, 11:55 PM
Tech Lord

My 1/18 on a bicycle track.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrSV-doeQgM
Old 11-25-2016, 06:54 AM
Tech Rookie

wow lol,how did you setup the front end? is it cambered over to left?
Old 11-25-2016, 07:27 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ftj_85
Set the camber so the tires wear flat. Positive static camber on the left front is normal for oval racing. It's also not unusual to use slightly coned rears (with the smaller diameter on the left) in conjunction with stagger (right rear larger than the left rear) for oval racing, though that would be for smaller tracks.
Old 11-25-2016, 07:52 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Most tire truers will allow you to cut camber into the tires. It's often used when you are running camber on your car, and it allows your tires to have maximum surface contact and grip from the start of a race.
Old 11-25-2016, 09:39 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by ftj_85
Just straight symetric.
http://www.euronet.nl/users/tooms/speeding/speed.htm
Old 11-25-2016, 11:02 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

If you are running foam tires on an oval track, the wear rate on the front tires will quickly tell you if you don't have a good setup. If you notice that the front tires are wearing unevenly or "coning", then you may need to adjust your tire camber or suspension angles to get better tire wear. If you are excessively wearing out the right front, you may need to run a harder compound or make setup adjustments to get more steering.

If you don't make any setup changes and are running foam tires, sometimes you will notice that when the tires "cone" that the car starts performing/turning better. This is mainly because your tires have a better contact patch with the track. Some people will deliberately true their tires so that they are "coned" to help their setup. To put it a better way, they are truing their tires so that they have camber built into them. But since foam tires will always wear to some degree, it will be hard to replicate results each time you set your car on the track.

On the front of an oval car running foam tires, it is always better to adjust the settings of the suspension so that the tires always have a full contact patch in the corners.

On a flat oval track...
On the right front - you might typically run between -1 & -2 degrees camber and run the upper a-arm/suspension at a more negative angle (which gives more negative camber gain during suspension compression)
On the left front - you might typically run very little negative camber or none at all and run the upper a-arm/suspension at a more level angle

On a banked track...
On the right front - you would typically start with at least 1 degree of negative camber and usually don't need as much camber angle on the upper suspension
On the left front - you might actually want some positive camber and may want fairly level upper suspension.

----------

Most oval racing is about getting through the corners as fast as your can. Remember when setting up the front end to simulate the suspension as it might be when actually racing through the corners. Turn the front wheels and compress the suspension and look at the tires contact patch.

One more quick tip when running on a banked oval track. Depending on the banking on the straights, it can be helpful to dial in a bit of right steering trim into the car (on a left turn oval track). The banking has a tendency to pull the car to the inside of the track. If you don't adjust trim you might find yourself having to correct steering during the race, which might slow you down/scrub speed.
Old 11-26-2016, 05:48 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Wow thank you for help

Thank u very much for help,thats info I can take to bank😉
Old 11-27-2016, 07:49 PM
Tech Rookie

indyrc got question so i took my old front tires that was worn down and car runs good again but the passenger front i guess you could say is the side that wears bad and is tapered so the least foam is going from inside out and outside tire is worn almost to nothing. Seems like you said harder compounds front. So i tried new tires with camber laying over to driver side to kinda replicate the track and it didnt work as good as old tires that are worn like said. Does this sound normal for banked tracks? my crc can only go so far with camber, thought of getting the crc razor with limited electronics layout i think but anyone have better suggestions for all out oval 1/12 rc? razor looks good but a friend has older darkside outlaw oval car but he is right there with me and it handles great and everyone else runs pan cars for carpet tracks.
Old 11-28-2016, 10:15 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

I'm curious where this track is. It is rare to see any purpose built ovals with banking anymore.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.