Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
1/10 On-Road Racing - How cheap can it be done? Lets get new drivers hooked. >

1/10 On-Road Racing - How cheap can it be done? Lets get new drivers hooked.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

1/10 On-Road Racing - How cheap can it be done? Lets get new drivers hooked.

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2016, 04:16 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I don't think Strictly has raced for a while, and Kenji has passed away, unfortunately.
Old 11-22-2016, 04:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I love parking lot racing and really enjoyed racing at Strictly. I didn't mind driving from Indy to Chicago (3 1/2 hours). Kenji ran a nice program, so sorry to hear he passed.

Luckily for us in Indianapolis our Hobbytown USA is located right next to a Dave & Busters and also a major indoor mall/shopping are. Whenever they had parking lot racing, we got a lot of spectators watching the racing. I also understand that the hobby shop got a lot of extra foot traffic.

We are also lucky that we some of our local racers have created a local club for R/C racing. The first goal of the club was to start running organized races at a local city park. Next year to goal is to try to do some on-road parking lot racing (Slashes are welcome).

It has always been amazing how much interest I've seen when I've been racing where the public can see us. I've gone out of my way to let kids and interested adults have a go with one of my cars on the track. I tell them up front not to worry about breaking the car and everyone has been respectful.

Not saying my experience would work everywhere, but I know we gained some racers over the years.
Old 11-23-2016, 07:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

As someone was saying in an earlier post, unless there is an inexpensive, durable,easy to drive solution for beginners, we are in a very niche crowd.

This is why it's hard to get kids involved.

https://shop.spinmaster.com/store/us...Hogs-%20Drones
Old 11-24-2016, 06:33 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

That air hogs 4 channel controller is even reasonably decent... And then there's the FPV inductrix.

But yeah, that's what we're up against.
Old 11-25-2016, 10:37 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Originally Posted by theproffesor
As someone was saying in an earlier post, unless there is an inexpensive, durable,easy to drive solution for beginners, we are in a very niche crowd.

This is why it's hard to get kids involved.

https://shop.spinmaster.com/store/us...Hogs-%20Drones
That's not all we're up against. If you were a kid, would you rather have a $500 RC setup or an iPhone? Heck, even real car companies like Toyota are struggling in a huge way to figure out how to get the 18-24 year old demographic to buy cars. This subset of millennial would rather spend their money on experiences and access (trips to other countries, concerts, data plans for the aforementioned iPhone etc) than ownership. Plus an Uber is just a few bucks wherever they need to go. I have several friends with 16-20 year-old kids that don't even have their driver's license nor the slightest desire to get one.
Old 11-28-2016, 08:42 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

See the results of the US indoor races. All the top guys in usgt (a beginner class supposedly) running 150$motors and a800 chassis. Lol.
Old 11-28-2016, 08:54 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I was just reading this article earlier today.

http://www.competitionx.com/beginner...ing-car-build/
Old 11-28-2016, 09:05 PM
Tech Regular

Well thats what im working on.

Bought an sakura sport xi 85 bucks usd

Got an old 17.5 tekin redline gen 1 sitting around.

Got an speed passion r esc sitting around

Got an old body too sitting around.

Even got some old tires.

Going to see how it works against the 7.1s and xrays this weekend in tc stock.....if it shows up and i can get it built by sunday 😛
Old 11-28-2016, 09:13 PM
Tech Master

3racing makes decent cars. The Zero S is a bit out of date. The Xi Sport is a bit more modern.

I order parts on Monday, and they usually arrive before Friday. That's typically better service and capability than most brick/mortar shops.
Old 11-28-2016, 09:19 PM
Tech Regular

I find rcmart is about 2 weeks exactly. So should be this week sometime
Old 11-29-2016, 05:54 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rescue119
See the results of the US indoor races. All the top guys in usgt (a beginner class supposedly) running 150$motors and a800 chassis. Lol.
USGT isn't strictly a beginner class and the people dropping hundreds or more to run the US Indoor Champs aren't typically dumpster diving for their equipment. Lol.
Old 11-29-2016, 06:38 AM
Tech Elite

As has been noted in this thread, unless specifically geared to force "the serious" people out, all classes fall victim to the "I want to be faster than the other guy" mentality of the serious racers.

"Hey, I don't wanna run my $1500 a800 today, I'll break out my $700 "noob" car and dominate the mini class."

"Noob racing" should be somewhat distasteful for the serious driver. A ~very~ cheap claimer rule might be something worth investigating.

Maybe limit noob racing to 5 entries? Or 3 entries a year? Theroetically that gives a new driver a few months to decide if they're going to keep coming to the track, and build skills. It also "forces" a market for the cars. After a few months, your car becomes a practice only tool, or a hand-me-down.
Old 11-29-2016, 07:11 AM
Tech Regular

How come f1 doesn't seem to every take off? The chassis are cheap and it's fun to run.

Let me add. In North America.
Old 11-29-2016, 07:19 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Nerobro
"Hey, I don't wanna run my $1500 a800 today, I'll break out my $700 "noob" car and dominate the mini class."
http://shop.awesomatixusa.com/a800a-...uring-car.html
Old 11-29-2016, 07:27 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Nerobro
As has been noted in this thread, unless specifically geared to force "the serious" people out, all classes fall victim to the "I want to be faster than the other guy" mentality of the serious racers.

"Noob racing" should be somewhat distasteful for the serious driver. A ~very~ cheap claimer rule might be something worth investigating.

Maybe limit noob racing to 5 entries? Or 3 entries a year? Theroetically that gives a new driver a few months to decide if they're going to keep coming to the track, and build skills. It also "forces" a market for the cars. After a few months, your car becomes a practice only tool, or a hand-me-down.
Again as people have said before that is what the sportsman class is for. It is basically run what ya brung and you will not have veteran drivers in that class. No need to try and adding another class.

I don't know where these guys are getting that VTA and USGT are beginner classes. If you want a beginner class then refer to my first paragraph.

The only way racing is going to grow is by the people racing at the facility and the operators of the facility being overly helpful to new the racers and people that are interested. If someone is walking through the pits just checking things out, stop them and talk to them. Most won't interrupt you if you look busy but are more than willing to talk about this awesome hobby. If you see someone struggling don't wait for them to ask for help, offer the help they need. Also track owners shouldn't be just be behind the counter or in the booth announcing or hiding wrenching on their own rides. They need to be actively helping people at the track. Not only does it make the track look good for helping them out but maybe helps keep people in the hobby.

But unfortunately with the Participation Award generation where everyone is a winner it is hard to keep new racers in. Took me 10yrs to get to the racer I am today, didn't happen overnight.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.