R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-14-2016, 05:24 AM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default picking a touring car for oval

Local shop runs a touring car carpet oval class (foam tires) and would like to get into it. Curious if any cars out there are better suited than others for this? Would like something that is not super in depth and hard to work on.
thanks
barbwire44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 06:02 AM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Just get a associated tc4 then . I ran it in oval on foam .
Corallie assassin was the go to car tho... Just fragile
jlfx car audio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 10:44 AM   #3
Tech Master

Finally...a touring car question that I have more on-track experience with than most...lol. I finished 2nd in Touring Car Oval with 6-cell NiHM/handout 27turn/and open rubber tires at the 2002 Snowbird Nationals (http://snowbirdnationals.com/2002results.htm). The class was sponsored by Losi and we all had to use their Oval touring car body. I was using a Team Associated TC3 with a stock chassis.

If you are running counter-clockwise oval (most US tracks), I would recommend getting a touring car with the batteries on the left side of the chassis. The TC3/TC4 is a great choice here.

If you are running clockwise oval, a chassis with the batteries on the right side of the chassis will be easier to set up.

Basically you want the battery to be on the inside of the oval, since it is typically the heaviest single component in the car. When we were running 6 cell NiHM batteries, this made more of a difference than it would today with lighter lipo batteries. You can use the weight of the batteries to gain inside weight on the car without adding any chassis weights.

----------

You didn't provide any info on the rules of your class concerning chassis. If the rules of the class don't allow any chassis modifications or oval specific touring cars, you will want a car that can have the batteries as far to the inside of the chassis as possible.

If you are allowed to modify the chassis or buy an oval specific chassis, it makes it easier to run oval. Here is a great example of a TC3 oval conversion chassis that I happen to own - http://www.xtremercracing.com/Produc...10026&pID=1152

As you can see, this type of chassis allows you to put the batteries (or chassis weight) much further to the inside than a standard chassis.

Here is a photo of an aftermarket part from Leading Edge (an oval chassis company) that allowed you to modify a standard TC3 to be more oval specific

If you are allowed to modify your chassis, then you could make ANY touring car more oval friendly. If you decide to modify your own chassis, I would recommend not moving the battery/inside weight too far. I've seen a few designs where the weight was shifted too far and it made the car very hard to drive.

A word of caution though. An oval specific touring car will perform better than a standard chassis car. Opening up the rules like this can ultimately hurt the class if most of the people are just running a factory on-road chassis.

Last edited by IndyRC_Racer; 11-14-2016 at 11:08 AM.
IndyRC_Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 10:57 AM   #4
Tech Master

Here is some more advice concerning rules...

You mentioned that it will be a foam tire oval class. Is there a limit on what compounds you have to run? If there is no limit you can run a different compound on all 4 corners to get the best performance (which I have run and yes it gets a bit expensive).

Personally I like running touring oval when it was a control rubber tire compound. It was much cheaper and I got more life out of my tires (and didn't have to worry about truing them).

One final thought is setup. Regardless of the type of oval track (flat vs banked), you will want to start treating the settings on each corner independently. There are too many possible settings to address, so I would suggest asking some of the oval-pan car guys what they do to their chassis to get the car to have more steering.

If you are having trouble finding oval setup information on RCTECH.net, there are healthy oval forums on Hobbytalk.com.

Hope this information helps.
Old 11-14-2016, 11:46 AM   #5
Tech Apprentice

Rule wise not much, any touring car, any tires. its a typical counter clockwise flat carpet oval. The class is pretty small at the local spot, looked like alot of rtr touring cars last winter when they were running. I think the guy that seemed to be winning each week was running a redcat lightning, he was some type of mechanical engineer. saw some higher end cars on occassion but the redcat guy seemed to beat them most days... and yes they were saucing the tires, with what I don't know.
barbwire44 is offline   Reply With Quote