R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-08-2016, 01:44 PM   #1
Tech Initiate

Default Question on Parking Lot Touring Car

I am looking to add a touring car to my basher and RC buggy that I built and want your opinions on what touring car you would suggest? Mainly parking lot runs (no local flat race track in Mi area).

I really enjoyed putting together my Associated B5M buggy (and rebuilding my basher 2x) and working on trying to get better at the local clay and turf tracks but I am a huge race fan and want a on-road car to build. I really wanted to do a F1 next but I know that will be a waste (for now, will get after the touring car) since I am limited to semi-smooth blacktop parking lots (stores and strip malls) and not an indoor track.

I belive I should stick with belt driven 4WD touring and been looking at Associated, Xray, Tamiya, etc type kits. I want a kit that i can build from the ground up this winter and take my time with electronics and set up research. Handling will be key so I can enjoy the car with minimal frustration.

Please let me know your thoughts, thanks.
RC_Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 05:29 AM   #2
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Ta07

Do you buy online or through local hobby shops? If you buy online, get a Tamiya ta07.
nubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 05:37 AM   #3
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 134 (100%+)

Parking lots are inherently dirty and dusty and not the best place to run a sedan. Today's dual belt cars have exposed front, rear and center pulleys that are easily damaged by debris like dirt and small pebbles.

If minimal frustration is key, then perhaps a shaft drive sedan might be worth considering. Something like an Associated TC3, TC3 or even their RTR Apex sedans all use sealed differentials. Other options are Tamiya TB-03 or the newer TB-04. The pinion/spur areas are still exposed, but the diffs are better protected.

Last edited by SteveM; 11-09-2016 at 05:54 AM.
SteveM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 05:49 AM   #4
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I've got both shaft and belt driven. From Vaterra to XRay. I've only run parking lots for past 4 years. Had few issues with stuff getting stuck in belts. Few broken belts, damaged gears. But nothing terrible. Replacing belts on most modern touring cars it's too bad. I can replace rear belt in under 10 minutes.
Billy Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 06:24 AM   #5
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

You're right not to bother with an F1 car running on a parking lot. It'd be too low and would be too difficult to dial in the handling. I'd look at either the Associated TC4 Club Racer or the new Apex kit if you're looking to just bash and save a few bucks. They are both shaft drive (yes, belt driven isn't terribly problematic unless there are a lot of loose stones...), with lots of parts availability. While the Tamiya cars would be good options too, the Associateds would be cheaper.

If you're dead set on belt drive, I'd look at the 3Racing Sakura XI Sport. It's cheap, has respectable online parts support, and could even be competitive against higher priced kits if you ever decide to race.
longuylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 07:02 AM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

Unless you run on completely unprepared parking lots, getting stuff in the belt isn't an issue. I just put together a TA07 and it was a great build. I'll be putting it on the track for the first time this Sunday.
The brighter the picture, the darker the negative. USVTA member #112
theproffesor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 07:12 AM   #7
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)

getting rocks and debris in belts and gears is super annoying. I would recommend looking into the tamiya xv01. They are a belt drive, but they have sealed gearboxes and the belt is shrouded and doesn't pick up anything. The spur and pinion are also covered so you only have to do basic cleaning to the car.
ThePanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 04:14 PM   #8
Tech Initiate

Thanks for all the info guys. I started looking up some of these cars since some are different the. What I was already reviewing. I only want kits and plan on carry a small leaf blower with me to the lots.

Wife normally gets me kits for bday and Xmas and then I build and buy motor and electronics. Keep the info coming, thanks.
Old 11-09-2016, 05:44 PM   #9
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC_Ed View Post
Thanks for all the info guys. I started looking up some of these cars since some are different the. What I was already reviewing. I only want kits and plan on carry a small leaf blower with me to the lots.

Wife normally gets me kits for bday and Xmas and then I build and buy motor and electronics. Keep the info coming, thanks.
By 'kit', does that rule out the TC4 Club Racer? It's pre-assembled but doesn't include the electronics. It's a great car, would be a shame to rule it out.
gigaplex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 07:07 PM   #10
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigaplex View Post
By 'kit', does that rule out the TC4 Club Racer? It's pre-assembled but doesn't include the electronics. It's a great car, would be a shame to rule it out.
I would prefer a complete parts kit but I have started looking into the TC4 and it is a nice option. Just would prefer building it from parts. I will keep it in my reviews.

Thanks.