R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   13.5t club racing motors (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/967073-13-5t-club-racing-motors.html)

NomadRC6 11-06-2016 12:12 AM

13.5t club racing motors

Hi guys, iam new to the forum and need some help on choosing the right motor for the 13.5t club class. Please help. Motors I have in mind are. LRP, ORCA and TEKIN.

My setup:
Tamiya trf419x
Mamba max ESC
GENS ACE 7200 2s 70c lipo

trigger 11-06-2016 12:28 AM

There are tons of options, Maclan, Reedy, Shuur, Orion, Team scream, LRP, R1, and so on.

NomadRC6 11-06-2016 12:35 AM

Thanks for the reply. Will have a look at them. Iam looking for the best motor possible that wil give me the best performance through out the entire race. Something like the the pros would use.

benTC5 11-06-2016 01:30 AM

Trinity D4, either one, max the timing on them and run lower FDR of 4.8, once again watch the motor temp at all times!

bertrandsv87 11-06-2016 08:19 AM

Just order a Fantom FR-1 13.5t motor, and look no further...

Originally Posted by NomadRC6 (Post 14726899)
Thanks for the reply. Will have a look at them. Iam looking for the best motor possible that wil give me the best performance through out the entire race. Something like the the pros would use.

YoDog 11-07-2016 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by NomadRC6 (Post 14726888)
Hi guys, iam new to the forum and need some help on choosing the right motor for the 13.5t club class. Please help. Motors I have in mind are. LRP, ORCA and TEKIN.

My setup:
Tamiya trf419x
Mamba max ESC
GENS ACE 7200 2s 70c lipo

Well... that fact that you are asking this question tells me that you don't quite have the experience to tell the difference between motor performance characteristics. As 13.5t is a stock spec motor class, there are limitations to create a legal motor so you will be better off asking your local racers to see how they are getting along with the preferred motors at your local track. To ask for the fastest motor is very subjective. There are many competitive brands out there and the subtle differences typically can only be advantageous to an experienced racer or "Pro" as you mentioned. Stick with a well known brand that your fellow racers use and you will be good to go. I have $50 motors that are just as fast as my $170 team motors. it's really how you run them that's most important. Work with the timing and gearing to find the "sweet spot" and go race. Ask 10 guys what is the "best" and get 10 different answers. Watch the fast guys at your track and ask questions. You will be surprised how helpful they can be and how much you can learn.

jeff jenkins sr 11-07-2016 11:56 AM

I run the the new tekin gen 3 rpm motors with great success, R1 are very good also, fantom etc. like the post above check and see which motors the majority of the racers at your club are running. And learn how to tune a motor for your track.

tobyzhang 11-07-2016 07:21 PM

I think the ESC might be a bigger problem for you in this case actually. Mamba Max pro is very very large foot print and might cause balance issues. Mamba Max Pro is more designed towards bashing and handle more envirnomental hazards like water and dust. I suggest something more designed towards racing like HW xr10, orca, LRP, etc. The offer more and better tuning options for serious racing.

As for motor the best motor is the motor with the correct spec for the track and class you race in not so much which one pros use or which brand. All the ROAR spec motors are Spec because they have to follow a set of Specs designed to make them all perform with similar overall potential. Things to look for is rotor strength, stack length, rotor diameter, etc that will make that motor perform in the power band you want it to perform at.

Best way to know is just see what the local fast guy use as a starting point.

bertrandsv87 11-07-2016 09:08 PM

Watchout... The Local fast guy might be a very slow Worlds guy, so watchout for your current fast Worlds guy instead...lol.....

gigaplex 11-07-2016 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by bertrandsv87 (Post 14729067)
Watchout... The Local fast guy might be a very slow Worlds guy, so watchout for your current fast Worlds guy instead...lol.....

Good thing for me the local fast guy just beat Volker at the Australian Nats :sneaky: But those fast guys don't bother racing stock classes.