Wiki Posts
Search

Drag rc setup Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2012, 05:33 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default Drag rc setup Question

Ok so Im building a drag car for a friend. He basically wants a 4wd all out speed run car. So I took the Serpent s411 he had and basically dropping a ton of horsepower in it. My question is what is the negative with running two spools. I ask only because I was thinking as far of a dragster is acceleration and thought the direct drive of the spools would give him the added advantage. I thought I could be missing the negative side of double spools so I thought I would get some advice. Any info I much appreciate thx
Old 10-10-2012, 11:30 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 98tahoeboy
Ok so Im building a drag car for a friend. He basically wants a 4wd all out speed run car. So I took the Serpent s411 he had and basically dropping a ton of horsepower in it. My question is what is the negative with running two spools. I ask only because I was thinking as far of a dragster is acceleration and thought the direct drive of the spools would give him the added advantage. I thought I could be missing the negative side of double spools so I thought I would get some advice. Any info I much appreciate thx
I would think it would not go straight. Some wheel slip is inevitable, and the differential gives you that ability to shift traction to the wheels that are gripping. I think the primary advantage of the spools would be weight related.

I am just guessing and could be totally wrong though.
Old 10-10-2012, 07:11 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by orcadigital
I would think it would not go straight. Some wheel slip is inevitable, and the differential gives you that ability to shift traction to the wheels that are gripping. I think the primary advantage of the spools would be weight related.

Well a huge part of drag racing would be eliminating any and all wheel slip for the hole shot hopefully the win. Any wheel slip in real drag racing means you are packing up and going home for the rest of the weekend buuuuuuuutttttttt..........

I would tend to agree with orca that the car would not go straight or steer very well unless you nailed the traction 100% but I could be wrong too.
Old 10-10-2012, 07:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Why not run a gear diff with heavy oil on the rear and a spool up front. That way if it gets off line you can still maneuver the car. I imagine 2 spools wouldn't allow the car to turn very well if a panic situation were to arise. Better to have the ability to save the car if $hit hits the fan.
Old 10-10-2012, 08:07 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by orcadigital

A diff will give power to the wheel with the least amount of traction. If you hold one tire (traction) and give the car a bit of throttle the opposite tire will spin (no traction).
Old 10-11-2012, 02:28 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Thanks guys for the help I guess the only thing to do is try both and see which is better. Will post back with findings. thx again
Old 11-07-2016, 11:15 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by 98tahoeboy
Thanks guys for the help I guess the only thing to do is try both and see which is better. Will post back with findings. thx again
I no this is old, but did you ever figure out if the spools are better? I'm having the same dilemma myself...