R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-03-2016, 08:49 AM   #16
Tech Elite
 
niznai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: All over the place
Posts: 2,897
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcflyer View Post
Ok agreed, now what if I added the 800kv motor and adjusted the gearing is it still going to draw more power???
You want to go faster and wonder if it will cost you more power?

Put it this way.

Why do you think the fastest cars are the most powerful? (not necessarily viceversa).

Changing the gearing might help reduce the power drain on acceleration but you will have to accelerate for longer.

Ultimately speed is hard to achieve and maintain and the price paid is power (energy) consumed.
__________________
Team Greasy Weasel

The best upgrade to any car is some driver skill.
niznai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 09:22 AM   #17
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 33
Default

Ok thanks for the replies I have my answer!!!
jcflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 07:32 AM   #18
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 33
Default

Update:
I got the 800kv installed and did a couple test hits, looks like the peak amps went down and the continuous amps went up. Not enough to worry about more testing needed...
jcflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 08:14 AM   #19
Tech Elite
 
niznai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: All over the place
Posts: 2,897
Default

Is the car faster?

Gearing?

How long does it take to get to top speed (compared to the 600kV motor)?
__________________
Team Greasy Weasel

The best upgrade to any car is some driver skill.
niznai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 08:19 AM   #20
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 33
Default

It did seem to be much more responsive, and the logs show much more rpm's and speed. So yes I think so, I will know more later today after testing..
jcflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 08:42 PM   #21
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 33
Default

Another Update: Yes it is much faster and gets there faster. Also the peak amps are much lower and the continuous amps are a lil bit higher not enough to worry. The overall speed is about 10 mph more and the motor temps are really cool...
jcflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 01:31 AM   #22
Tech Elite
 
niznai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: All over the place
Posts: 2,897
Default

what gearing?
__________________
Team Greasy Weasel

The best upgrade to any car is some driver skill.
niznai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 07:51 AM   #23
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 33
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by niznai View Post
what gearing?
The gearing is 16/54 with the stock transmission, so I end up with 8:1 final gear ratio...
jcflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 08:19 AM   #24
Tech Elite
 
niznai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: All over the place
Posts: 2,897
Default

I don't know what your gearing was before, so can't compare. Is it higher or lower?
__________________
Team Greasy Weasel

The best upgrade to any car is some driver skill.
niznai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 09:43 AM   #25
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 33
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by niznai View Post
I don't know what your gearing was before, so can't compare. Is it higher or lower?
The final ratio before was 7.62 that was with 17/54.
jcflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 07:17 PM   #26
Tech Elite
 
niznai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: All over the place
Posts: 2,897
Default

Well, there you go. Change back to the old ratio and log some data and then you'll be able to pinpoint what happened (though you have some info already). Little wonder it gets there quicker and with less Amps. Would be curious though to see the Amps at the old ratio. What you are doing is building a power/torque curve for the new motor. You just need some more points on the curve to define it better and see where you'd expect the max would be for both torque and power. Does your data logger record RPM?
__________________
Team Greasy Weasel

The best upgrade to any car is some driver skill.
niznai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 04:13 AM   #27
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 33
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by niznai View Post
Well, there you go. Change back to the old ratio and log some data and then you'll be able to pinpoint what happened (though you have some info already). Little wonder it gets there quicker and with less Amps. Would be curious though to see the Amps at the old ratio. What you are doing is building a power/torque curve for the new motor. You just need some more points on the curve to define it better and see where you'd expect the max would be for both torque and power. Does your data logger record RPM?
I did some real testing Saturday night and was impressed and happy with the results. The peak amps are all under 240 amps and the continuous amps are 160 and less. The only dislike is the battery draw, the load is so impressive it is pulling the packs down 5-7 volts with each run of 132'... Think I need bigger packs..
jcflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 11:35 AM   #28
Tech Master
 
YoDog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Lompoc, Ca.
Posts: 1,652
Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcflyer View Post
I did some real testing Saturday night and was impressed and happy with the results. The peak amps are all under 240 amps and the continuous amps are 160 and less. The only dislike is the battery draw, the load is so impressive it is pulling the packs down 5-7 volts with each run of 132'... Think I need bigger packs..
It's Drag racing! why don't you just charge the batteries for every run? What scale is your car, 1/10th? I noticed you mentioning a 2.5sec run over 132'. That's insanely slow for a 12 cell dragster. Many 3 cell dragsters run under 1.5sec at over 100mph in 132'. I would suggest looking into one or two of the RC Drag Racing clubs to get some better informed advice. Drag racing is a completely different discipline so much of the advice you will get here is irrelevant. Talk to an experienced drag racer. You will see what I mean.

Look up:
IMDRA.com
RCDRL
__________________
R-Factor RC Products
AE- TC6.1WC, TC6.2, RSD6, B5M
CRC- GenX10 WGT & Pro10 Prototype, WTF1, Xti 1/12
R-Factor RC- TC4-R, P8 PanCar
Not as Fast as I want to be but too old to Whine about it... 8-)
YoDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 12:03 PM   #29
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 33
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoDog View Post
It's Drag racing! why don't you just charge the batteries for every run? What scale is your car, 1/10th? I noticed you mentioning a 2.5sec run over 132'. That's insanely slow for a 12 cell dragster. Many 3 cell dragsters run under 1.5sec at over 100mph in 132'. I would suggest looking into one or two of the RC Drag Racing clubs to get some better informed advice. Drag racing is a completely different discipline so much of the advice you will get here is irrelevant. Talk to an experienced drag racer. You will see what I mean.

Look up:
IMDRA.com
RCDRL
It is a slow time because it is a 30 lb. 1/5 scale truck. Running 71 mph.
jcflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 12:09 PM   #30
Tech Master
 
YoDog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Lompoc, Ca.
Posts: 1,652
Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcflyer View Post
It is a slow time because it is a 30 lb. 1/5 scale truck. Running 71 mph.
Now that makes more sense.... ;-)

Check out QMDRA
__________________
R-Factor RC Products
AE- TC6.1WC, TC6.2, RSD6, B5M
CRC- GenX10 WGT & Pro10 Prototype, WTF1, Xti 1/12
R-Factor RC- TC4-R, P8 PanCar
Not as Fast as I want to be but too old to Whine about it... 8-)
YoDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
G-Force Motor Checker EDWARD2003 Radio and Electronics 489 04-03-2017 02:41 PM
17.5 Turn Motor Differences ignishen Rookie Zone 8 05-05-2014 08:21 AM
Which Motor to buy? yeahyeah Electric On-Road 7 10-08-2008 09:54 AM
Tuning mod motors for Ib's canto54 Electric On-Road 12 07-11-2006 06:21 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 02:41 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net