R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-20-2016, 09:34 PM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default A good place to start

I've been racing off-road for a while now and I think I'd like to get my foot wet with on-road. A new track is opening in Austin, TX called N-control that has piqued my interest.

Looking at the forums I see a lot of posts asking which chassis is best or what tires to use but I don't see a lot of info about the actual classes. I'm starting to realize that on-road is a pretty different ball game. Any help is very much appreciated and to help get answers I have put together some questions that will help me get a better idea of what I want.

1. What are the most common classes?

2. In off road there are "fun" classes like sct and competitive classes like 2wd mod. What are the fun classes and what are the competitive ones?

3. Is VTA and USGT really just a differnce of boddies or is there more?

4. I really like the F1 class. Is it a good class?

5. Is there a 8th scale electric class worth running?

6. Finally out of personal experience what class and car do you run and why? (I don't mind manufacture fanboys but please explain why you like the car. There are too many threads with things like "I only buy XRay cause they're the best!". I know XRay is great but why do YOU think it's great?)

Thank you ahead for the replies!
Ominex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 10:11 PM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

What you really need to be asking is, what classes will this new track be running. That said, the 1/10th TC classes seem to be most common in general. I believe this new track is outdoor asphalt, which probably means it's not likely to see much pan car action.

Regarding "fun" vs "competitive", it really comes down to the people involved. Some of the slower classes are actually more competitive than the faster ones depending on who's racing in them. That said, VTA and USGT are generally considered a "fun" class in a similar vein to SCT. For the 1/10th TC classes, many see the slower classes as beginner classes and the faster classes as the competitive ones. You'll still probably see some very competitive drivers in the slower classes though.

The main differences between VTA and USGT are bodies, tires, and weight limits.

F1 is a great class if you can get the numbers. Some areas struggle to keep it running.

I don't know of any 1/8th scale electric on road classes.

I personally run a TC3 in both 21.5 sportsman and 17.5 "GT" classes, and a Tamiya M03 in mini (under Australian rules). Mostly because that's what I had in the cupboard when I pulled them out of retirement earlier this year. I race on a budget for the fun of it, I'm not aiming to be super competitive.
gigaplex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 10:16 AM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

The OP mentioned in their post that they are thinking of racing at a new track call N-Control near Austin, TX. Based on their GOFUNDME webpage (https://www.gofundme.com/ncontrol), they had their first official race on October 9, 2016. Here is a pic of the facility from the N-Control RC Racing Circuit website - http://www.ncontrolrc.com/

This track is also located within 15 miles of the Circuit of the Americas track, where there happens to be a Formula One race this weekend. Since this is the only F1 race in the USA, you might be able to watch the race on your local NBC affiliate station. If you have cable/satellite then you should be able to watch the event on NBCSN (NBC Sports Network).

Okay, back to the question of what to race at a 150' x 60' permanent flat asphalt track.

The best answer is to always contact any facility you are planning to race at and find out what is the most popular class(es). If you have a car that can race in those class(es), then you will be almost guaranteed to be able participate in any race meeting. Nothing sucks more than driving a long distance and being the only car at the track and not being able to race that day.

If I had to guess what type of cars are going to be racing at a track that large, it would be fast classes. I wouldn't be surprised if the 1/10 touring car classes are 17.5 or faster. Since 17.5 is considered stock touring car in the US, it would work well at that facility. Most of the rest of the world races 13.5 as stock touring, so it wouldn't be surprising if some people are also running that. Either way, any 1/10 touring car made in the past several years should be competitive.

You might also see if they are running any nitro, 1/8 scale electric, or 235mm pan car classes. There are several companies that make 1/8 nitro "pan can" that would work well at a track of this size. Here is an example from Serpent (http://www.serpent.com/product/903016). Even if they don't allow nitro cars at this track, the electric pan cars would do well and be very fast at this type of facility.

One additional thought. Since this facility appears to have a very long main straight with at least 1 sweeping turn connecting to it, you have to assume that you might be full throttle for longer than 100 feet. It is possible that you might be going full throttle for 150 feet. While this isn't a problem, it can make running slower classes such as VTA a bit boring if there is a small turnout.

To close this post, if you are thinking of racing 1/10 touring car any recent model should work fine at this facility. Since the facility appears to be open and racing, contact them to find out what classes are popular in the area. And finally, enjoy having a great facility close to you.
Old 10-21-2016, 01:50 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to WheelNut

Head on down there and see what classes are popular. If I were to equate on-road classes to off-road classes I'd probably break it down like this:

1/10th touring = 1/8th buggy Ultra competitive and fast
1/12th pan = 2wd 1/10th buggy Very competitve and precise
VTA/USGT = Short Course
1/10th Nitro touring = A bit like 1/8th buggy in some ways, but with more maintenance than anything I've ever run. Feels amazing to drive though.

I found 1/10th touring to be the most relatable class since they are rubber tire and have similar tuning options to a 1/8th buggy. The driving style and parts aren't totally foreign to an off-roader like pan cars are.

As far as what car is the best- That's a tough one. If you run AE off-road pick up a TC7.1. You'll be within a familiar setup and parts ecosystem, which makes the transition a bit easier. I ran Xray off-road for years and I run them for on-road now and they build cars for every class I run, which is nice (1/10 touring, 1/12 pan, 1/10 nitro). Tamiya is good, Yokomo is good, Awesomatix is good, Schumacher is good. Lots of fast cars out there.
Old 10-23-2016, 08:25 AM   #5
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Thanks guys!This info is really helpful. I'll keep it in mind as I figure out what class I will run.
Ominex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 09:39 AM   #6
Tech Elite

Ha. You mentioned 1/8 electric on road.

This is the most fun class (and crazy fast):

http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...nroad-car.html

If they want to run it, get in, you'll love it.

The best upgrade to any car is some driver skill.
niznai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 06:45 AM   #7
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (90%+)

With several race days under our belt at N-Control, I can answer this question pretty well As IndyRC guessed, 17.5 TC is the biggest class thus far, with USGT and 25.5 TC running close behind. We have regularly seen Mod TC. Lower turnouts thus far for 1/12th 13.5, F1, nitro sedan, 1/8 open, and GT8 (both nitro and electric). The surface is quite smooth, and great for 1/12th... just getting mine going, as a matter of fact.

N-Control does fully embrace both nitro and electric classes. Come on out and meet some folks!

This is my track, by the way. It's been quite a load of work getting here, and I look forward to helping grow the onroad community in Central Texas! We'll have some great racing on deck for 2017, including two races in the EOS series, likely one in the SWCS (TBD), and the ROAR Paved Electric Nats. Weekly schedule thread posted to RCFiles:

http://www.rcfiles.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=50
pgaert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 10:07 AM   #8
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

My first on road race was at Mann's RC in Ruskin, FL. A RC10B4 in "Jato" class <<< what doesn't fit any other class races in "Jato".

Some of us (like me) are from Off Road, we race 2wd SC in SC class. Many Slash owners race this class.

da' Lube in Clearwater, FL has a "Autocross" class for the off road / beginner racer.

Check with the track, they may offer this.
RC10GT2-E, SC5M, RC10T2, Spec-R S2, FX10
tmail55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 10:23 AM   #9
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Track must be at a secret location, as the web site, go fund and forum have no address listed.

3 strikes <<< NOT looking good.

Required ROAR membership isn't listed on web site.

Info detail are important to getting MORE racers.

===

This track is also located within 15 miles of the Circuit of the Americas track. <<<< Great info IF I knew where this is.
RC10GT2-E, SC5M, RC10T2, Spec-R S2, FX10
tmail55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 02:19 AM   #10
Tech Regular

1. Most common classes are Touring and 1/12 pan car classes called 17.5, 13.5 and Modified. 17.5&13.5 have limited motor capacity where the 17.5&13.5 numbers on the motor indicates the power of the motor, 17.5 being the slower car. Modified is free to use any motor, but usually dont go lower then 4.5. i recomend 4.5

2. I dont think there are really any "fun classes" but if any, it is every class except those i posted above.
4. F1 class is a great class! Specially for beginners, its easy, cheap and very competative! This would be my choice if i started on-road. But it is slow, so if you like fast, go with 1/10 or 1/12 Modified.

5. I woudnt even consider 1/8 electric as a class becuse it's not big enough to spend money in my opinion.

6. I personally choose Yokomo Bd7, as i couldnt find any good brands that worked for me i ended up with yokomo. Iv'e tried Xray and Serpent, but they were not fast enough around the track for me. Now xray is really good, i wanted to try a new brand and Yokomo have blown me away, the great build instructions, great solutions on the car and it never breaks! It is a really good and very smart designed kit. The parts aviable is not as great as Xray or Serpent, but the car kind of makes up for it!

hope you enjoyed www.andrefossto.wordpress.com 's answer!
Old 11-15-2016, 06:45 AM   #11
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (90%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmail55 View Post
3 strikes <<< NOT looking good.
I'm sorry that my website doesn't meet your needs. We've been open and racing for about six weeks, missed one due to rain, and I do this as a hobby... that is, I also have a full time (full plus, since I am self-employed) job. I have a volunteer doing my preliminary website as a favor.

You do have a great point about the track address, and I will certainly address that... although any decent mapping program will bring up either Circuit of the Americas or Dale Texas without additional information. However, the actual address (1561 Dale Lane) maps to the center of Dale Texas, in Google at least, at the stop sign about a mile and a half south of the location. If you would like to find the track, map Dale Lane, Dale TX and the mark will be right at the driveway.

A great place for more information about N-Control,including a weekly "schedule this week thread may be found on RCFiles:

http://www.rcfiles.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=50

It's a ton of work getting a track up and running, not to mention providing racing year in and year out. It doesn't pay well, either. If you have any interest at all in racing RC, tearing into track owners is counterproductive. Having run an offroad track for seven years, I can assume you we get enough of it locally.
pgaert is offline   Reply With Quote