R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-20-2016, 04:57 PM   #1
Tech Adept

Default ENTRY LEVEL/BUDGET TOURING CAR

My grandsons and I are looking to get into either USVTA or USGT racing, looking for some advice on the best entry level or budget RTR or kit cars, been doing some searching on line and there are a ton of cars out there, from top brands to some from overseas, a lot of cars look impressive, but haven't been able to find out reliable reviews! THX
Petem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 05:11 PM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

The Associated TC4 is quite popular and is very affordable for these classes. RTR kits are likely not going to come with the right electronics (ESC/motor) for the class, so they're probably going to be of dubious value. Alternatively you could pick up some high end second hand chassis for a decent price as many people like to upgrade to the next new thing fairly frequently.
gigaplex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 05:13 PM   #3

Check out the MTS 2 Touring car at dischargerc.com. Kit is around $200 and competitive out of the box and parts are readily available.
Motiv, Gravity RC, Joe Conte Racing ,Blast RC Paint, Sanwa, #~MASAMI~ . ROAR#27050. #FSEARA

Last edited by DaveVera; 10-20-2016 at 05:21 PM. Reason: Typo
DaveVera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 07:21 PM   #4
Tech Adept

I saw this car offered by RCmart $189 compared to dischargerc price of $239, would rather do business here in the states, but $50 bucks would be bit to much, do you know anything about 3racing, RCmart has a 3racing sakura XI listed for $150 with ESC, motor and program card, also have you heard of the new LC Racing 1/10 touring car, my grandsons and my wife and I have 4 of their 1/14 SCT truck and we love them, 80 plus battery packs on each truck and only one broken front a arm!
Old 10-20-2016, 07:43 PM   #5
DBM
Tech Addict

As this thread goes on, you'll find that a lot of people will recommend that you get a car that is common to your club. Without knowing what is common in your area, I'll recommend the VBC Ghost Evo. Fantastic usgt/usvta car for a good price. VBC Racing USA is local to you. There are a handful of Ghost Evo owners in my club, and everyone of them is amazed at how well they work for such a budget kit.
DBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 07:57 PM   #6
Tech Rookie

Pete: I just ordered the Associated TC4 club racer for my 5 year old son. Although I have no problem building the car, I wanted something relatively inexpensive yet durable that he could drive.

You can add the electronics of your choosing, and you can add performance parts to the cars as your grandsons' skill develops. Personally, I love Associated cars and that's mostly what I drive, and the parts are generally available. For VTA, this would probably be a good fit.
Old 10-20-2016, 08:02 PM   #7
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petem View Post
I saw this car offered by RCmart $189 compared to dischargerc price of $239, would rather do business here in the states, but $50 bucks would be bit to much, do you know anything about 3racing, RCmart has a 3racing sakura XI listed for $150 with ESC, motor and program card, also have you heard of the new LC Racing 1/10 touring car, my grandsons and my wife and I have 4 of their 1/14 SCT truck and we love them, 80 plus battery packs on each truck and only one broken front a arm!
The motor that comes with the Sakura XI that you mentioned wouldn't be legal for either USGT or USVTA. I'm not sure if the ESC would be legal without having a closer look. I didn't see any mention of ROAR approval or a blinky mode.
Old 10-20-2016, 08:32 PM   #8
Tech Adept

has any one had any experience with the Hobbyking BRS BT-4, under $100, rolling chassis,would be able to build to local specs, going to have 3-4 cars, don't want to have $2000-$3000 invested just to have fun with my grandsons
Old 10-20-2016, 08:45 PM   #9
Tech Master

Quote:
has any one had any experience with the Hobbyking BRS BT-4, under $100, rolling chassis,would be able to build to local specs, going to have 3-4 cars, don't want to have $2000-$3000 invested just to have fun with my grandsons
http://www.thercracer.com/2015/12/ho...nd-review.html

Seems okay, although if they had fitment issues with standard TC wheels you may run into issues with the VTA wheels.

There's also a thread dedicated to the BSR BT-4 on here for more information.
Old 10-20-2016, 08:52 PM   #10
Tech Regular
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Sakura XI Kit: 110.00
Trackstar 120a Gen 2 ESC: 65.00
Trackstar 21.5T V2: 45.00
Trackstar 920 Servo: 38.00
Receiver: 30.00
Wheels: 12.00
USGT Spec Tires: 20.00
HPI Body (or Similar): 25.00

Total: 345.00

I just did the exact build but ended up getting the new Sakura Advance (all carbon/aluminum unlike the more entry level and less expensive XI).

If you go BSR BT-4 you can get the body/wheels/tires included and it's essentially the same as the Sakura XI. Should be around 243.00 for everything but a receiver with the trackstar equipment I listed.
Attached Thumbnails
ENTRY LEVEL/BUDGET TOURING CAR-photo1.jpg   ENTRY LEVEL/BUDGET TOURING CAR-photo2.jpg  
Old 10-20-2016, 08:53 PM   #11
Tech Adept

I remember when I got into rc racing,late 80's, my first car was a AE 1/12 pan car, never raced it because all the people had thousands into their cars, got into offroad racing and stuck to stock class, didn't have to spend $$$ to have fun, it was driver against driver, I understand open class racing, but more people would get into RC racing if the hobby didn't cost so much, more companies like LC Racing need to offer affordable, quality cars to build the RC industry!!
Old 10-20-2016, 08:53 PM   #12
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Quote:
BSR Racing BT4 Budget Touring car kit
RoyB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 09:03 PM   #13
Tech Adept

Thanks,daedalus, I did the same build, more in the price range i'm looking for, but was looking for input if these cars were worth purchasing!!
Old 10-20-2016, 09:21 PM   #14
Tech Regular

Quote:
Thanks,daedalus, I did the same build, more in the price range i'm looking for, but was looking for input if these cars were worth purchasing!!
LC Racing has their new touring car just released RTR now that you think of it. Might be just the ticket (but again, wouldn't probably meet VTA/USGT spec's with the supplied ESC/Motor/Body). But you and I know how durable and fun they are.

http://en.lcracing.net/index.php?m=c...catid=10&id=26
Old 10-20-2016, 09:49 PM   #15
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by daedalus View Post
LC Racing has their new touring car just released RTR now that you think of it. Might be just the ticket (but again, wouldn't probably meet VTA/USGT spec's with the supplied ESC/Motor/Body). But you and I know how durable and fun they are.

http://en.lcracing.net/index.php?m=c...catid=10&id=26
That's not much of a touring car, rally maybe.
Current rides: Diggity DC4 Chassis #10. Losi JRX-S Type R. CRC Xi (retired), CRC Altered Ego Aluminum Chassis. Associated B4 based dirt oval late model.
WTB: Carpet racing in Arizona.
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote