Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Which Brushless to get? >

Which Brushless to get?

Which Brushless to get?

Old 01-08-2006, 09:18 PM
Tech Legend

Hey BIG "E" ?

I lUVE my NEO !!!!

I`m never gona buy another brush motor again.....

Cus its out performs a brush motor with out the maintenance.....
Old 01-08-2006, 10:37 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default NOVAK BRUSHLESSES

Here are the real specs on the motors as i have raced them all!

s4300---27t stock
s5800----about an 8x2
5.5r and 6.5r-the name says it all for these 2 they are the same as a 5.5x2 and a 6.5x3 respectively
Old 01-09-2006, 03:10 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Wow.... where do you race?

I've owned both the ss5800 and a gtb 5.5r

IMHO - the 5800 is like a 12t.. motor Kv for the 5800 is.. 5800!! so you're looking around 40k revs. about the same as a 12t motor.

the GTb 5.5r is like an 8-9t. No Kv rating.

For drifting, i liked my 5800.. plenty of power, even running rubber tires and still fast enough to play around on a track with.
The GTB is a bit much to drift with. Of course, with a little more throttle control it's fine, but it's overkill. the 5800 is already much more motor than you need for drifting.
Old 01-09-2006, 04:38 AM
Tech Regular

he just said the neo

but i would ask around about who's got what and then decide
Old 01-09-2006, 04:39 AM
Tech Regular

or you could solve ur need for speed with a nitro
Old 01-09-2006, 04:42 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by ErnieP
I think there were only 18 total entires for the brushless class at the Novak race.....and that is sponsored by Novak and a cash prize up.....for grabs

I think "at the moment anyway" they are not going to be "race-competitive" with any of the good brushed systems out there......(Trinity, Orion, Checkpoint etc)

Again...this is "purely opinion" but it does not look like they are too popular at the "racing events"......but that being said...could be a great "practice or basher motor"

Depends on what application you are racing under...if you frequent the big races.....then I would say stay with the "brushed technology"

If not....I would probably go with the Novak system in the USA due to the support.....
Why would you say this? There are A LOT of excellent race-competitive brushless motors on the market. Some are ROAR legal, some are not but the choices are great and the motors are fantastic. Let's see, I can get the same if not better level of performance with practically any brushed motor, little or maintenance and longer run times. The brushed/brushless motor discussion will do the same way (in my opinion) as the MiMH/LiPo discussion. In the beginning it was you can't use LiPos since they are unsafe, they will explode, not worth the money and now it has switched to where can I get LiPos that are lighter, as safe, better performance and I can charge at over 10amps for a quick charge.
Matt
Old 01-09-2006, 06:55 AM
Tech Adept

Default Hey Guys.....not looking for a fight?

Wild Cherry....happy for you honestly.....not trying to start anything...honestly. Just stating what people said at the Novak race....

Example.....Please see Nash's comments below (he is neutral and one of the nicest guys I have ever met)......

"nashrcracer
Tech Master

Nash Vegas

1,276 Posts Since Nov 2001 Today, 04:41 AM Report | Post #494

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"that was rick vessels. he bent the back blocks and shock tower brace it was bad. I heard that sobbtka killed his car and the damage to blackstocks T2 was pretty killer when he plowed barry baker after barry's lrp brushless locked up for the 6th time. but that was right there with all the novak brushless going thermal and shutting off. poor Ray Haung didn't finish but one brushless race to make the "A" all weekend without it over heating."

In closing...these are FACTS! Not saying these brushless systems are not good "play motors" or "basher motors" and please do not get offended on that statement...they are just not currently fast enough to race with the brushless....even though ROAR and IFMAR made it much easier to compete (with rules that cant be teched) and quantity restrictions and price limits that "brushed motor manufacturers" have dealt with for over 25 years!
Old 01-09-2006, 07:18 AM
Tech Adept

Interesting......I just put a GTB and a Velociti 5.5 into a 1/12th Carpet Knife. I have not raced it yet (still waiting for a few parts) but the thermal issue will be something I will have to watch. I was racing a TC4 this summer (outside on asphalt) with a Lehner Brushless and ESC (no fan and a two cell 3400 MAH LiPo). Temps outside on a few days reached 100 and I never had a problem with thermaling. I use a Nomadio Sensor radio and I was able to watch motor temps pretty closely and they never got out of control.
I will be interesting to see how the GTB does.
Matt
Old 01-09-2006, 08:39 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

The current ROAR legal systems may not be performing well, but that doesnt mean that brushless is not competative. I don't run a novak or a reedy because we are not required to at the local level. With some of the better brushless systems, brushed doesn't stand a chance.
Old 01-09-2006, 08:43 AM
Tech Adept

Default kufman

Everyone is entitled to an opinion...that is why its called a forum. I would consider Barry Baker one of the best "on-road drivers" in the world.....I think he would have been in contention for the win at the Novak race if he was using brushed motors....

As far as "what brushes are".....ask the Top 9 guys in the A main......
Old 01-09-2006, 08:45 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by kufman
The current ROAR legal systems may not be performing well, but that doesnt mean that brushless is not competative. I don't run a novak or a reedy because we are not required to at the local level. With some of the better brushless systems, brushed doesn't stand a chance.
Hi Matt,
That's what I was trying to say. ROAR puts some "crazy" limitations on batteries and motors but at the local level, brushless is the way to go.
Thanks,
Matt
Old 01-09-2006, 10:36 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RSR
Which Brushless Motor should I get? Novak SS5800 or the Novak 6.5R or the Novak 5.5R? The ESC I will be getting for the motor will be the Novak GTB.
RSR,

Tekin is currently working on a 1/10 brushless system as well and their customer service is second to none. The new owner is really focused on customer support and dedicated to making a better product.

You can check out the Tekin website at www.teamtekin.com and check out some videos of the brushless motor on the track. And if it is anything like the Tekin mini brushless system that is currently out it should be a really good system.

I hope this helps.
Old 01-09-2006, 11:44 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Hi Matt,
That's what I was trying to say. ROAR puts some "crazy" limitations on batteries and motors but at the local level, brushless is the way to go.
Thanks,
Matt
You need to get out the track more. Do you still live in the area? I miss having other brushless nuts like myself out at the track.

Matt
Old 01-09-2006, 12:00 PM
Tech Adept

Hi Matt,
I will, I will. I still live in the area but I had my first child in November and it has been kinda nuts! Things are finally starting to get back to normal. I just rebuilt my Carpet Knife with the Novak GTB and the Velociti 5.5. It will be finished this week. I just put the Scorpion 7.4v 3200mah LiPo into my BMI TC4. Still have the Lehner and it is working great. That car will also be up and running this week. Even though, it is still setup for the asphalt track at Tinley.
I want to run my T4 at Leisure. The off-road indoor track looks amazing! I am running the Novak SS5800 on nine cells and it is just crazy.
Have you been to Leisure yet? How is the carpet track at IRP? I heard the new owners did a really nice job.
Thanks,
Matt
Old 01-09-2006, 08:28 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Red face I race this stuff.

I run mod touring car with brushless GTB System on a 5.5 Velocity.
I drive it smooth, and set TQ and First place finishes.
I tune 8x1 and 7x1 motors of all types and switch cars to run them.
The brushless is very competitive.
Any Speedo or motor will go to crap if you keep hitting things and this is what I heard Barry did at the Novak. People hit him as well.
In sedan I hit 120 on the motor and 125 on the speedo. It outruns 8s but it is a little outgunned by the 7s. Then their batteries go away.
On a high traction track, the brushless will not run with the brushed motors because of the power they use. 7s and 6s.
On my local track you can't put that kind of power down. So then the brushless looks like the dominant system.

In my offroad buggy (XXX-4) I run the 5800 with a GTB. Brushed motors can't race with us at all. We even run 10 minute mains.
Motor = 100 and the speedo = 90 degrees.

We blow them off and get ready for the next race. Repeak Lipos and clean the tires. Mostly just eat pizza.

BTW - I will run my 5800 against any 12T. It is that fast. If pushed it will pull a better gear as well. In the same car, I am limited to a 20 tooth pinion with my 12T of the past. My 5800 pulls a 22 tooth.

Nice to see Ernie here. I like your deal about ROAR!
I have horror stories of my own. I told my wife and she said it was hard to believe. I showed her your article and she understands now.

Go Trinity!
TEX

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.