R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree1Likes

Old 01-20-2017, 09:28 PM   #91
Tech Initiate

Just a quick thanks to those that helped with the setup advice - car went much better today, I still need to find a few tenths per lap, but it is there or thereabouts - much improved.

Now i can psuh the car rather than being very gentle with it..
Cheers.

Mark

Schumacher | Sanwa | Fantom | IP |
Diggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 10:27 AM   #92
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Has anyone noticed a "swooshing" sound coming from the car when cornering? I noticed it but ignored it but several took note of it yesterday and their assumption was that the noise was from excessive tire scrub, obviously which would affect corner speed. It has seemed to become more prevalent as the traction has increased.
dyoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 11:21 AM   #93
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Has anyone found suitable sized-shims to replace the fragile static caster adjusters? Between two of us, we have broken four so far and having to buy an entire $10 part tree just to get two .5mm plastic spacers is crazy. Looks like a 2mm inner diameter x 5mm outer diamter x .5mm thick shims would be perfect.
biz77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 06:24 PM   #94
Tech Master

Does anyone have a setup for one of these on the black carpet?
patorz31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 09:37 AM   #95
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by biz77 View Post
Has anyone found suitable sized-shims to replace the fragile static caster adjusters? Between two of us, we have broken four so far and having to buy an entire $10 part tree just to get two .5mm plastic spacers is crazy. Looks like a 2mm inner diameter x 5mm outer diamter x .5mm thick shims would be perfect.
Could you use 3mm ID suspension spacers in a pinch (the kind from touring car suspension)? I committed to building up a 12th scale and I/m very tempted to get this chassis.
Old 03-13-2017, 10:55 AM   #96
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidNERODease View Post
Could you use 3mm ID suspension spacers in a pinch (the kind from touring car suspension)? I committed to building up a 12th scale and I/m very tempted to get this chassis.
Found and purchased these 2mm x 5mm x .3mm thick washers: https://www.amainhobbies.com/lynx-he...-50-03/p454304
They are advertised as .3mm thick. In theory I should have been able to use a combination of 5 of them to obtain the total 1.5mm thickness needed. Unfortunately when I put the calipers to them they are actually .38mm thick. I could only fit three on the upper hinge pin and as you can imagine this introduced some slop at only 1.14mm total thickness. I have a set of Xenon spacers that I believe will work. I just haven't had time to try them out as I dropped in the last set of stock Schumacher/Kawada spacers in that I had. Once those break (and they will) I will try the Xenon spacers.

Last edited by biz77; 03-13-2017 at 12:55 PM.
Old 03-13-2017, 12:35 PM   #97
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by biz77 View Post
Found and purchased these 2mm x 5mm x .5mm thick washers: https://www.amainhobbies.com/lynx-he...-50-03/p454304
They are advertised as .3mm thick. In theory I should have been able to use a combination of 5 of them to obtain the total 1.5mm thickness needed. Unfortunately when I put the calipers to them they are actually .38mm thick. I could only fit three on the upper hinge pin and as you can imagine this introduced some slop at only 1.14mm total thickness. I have a set of Xenon spacers that I believe will work. I just haven't had time to try them out as I dropped in the last set of stock Schumacher/Kawada spacers in that I had. Once those break (and they will) I will try the Xenon spacers.
Use 2 of these and file the arm a little.
VBC Lightning 12 parts - Caster Spacer, 0.8mm D-05-VBC-0110 x 2
Old 03-13-2017, 01:03 PM   #98
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by patorz31 View Post
Use 2 of these and file the arm a little.
VBC Lightning 12 parts - Caster Spacer, 0.8mm D-05-VBC-0110 x 2
The only issue with that is that I'm then locked into whatever static caster a .8mm shim front and rear gives me. Would like it to be a bit more adjustable.

When some time frees up I will work on a mount to fit the whole Xenon front end. Took a brief look at it earlier in the year and put it on the back burner since I couldn't see a good way to make it work without running a significantly smaller servo than what I have in the car or extending the wheelbase by moving the front axles forward.
Old 03-14-2017, 07:58 PM   #99
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to Pinion King

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyoung View Post
Has anyone noticed a "swooshing" sound coming from the car when cornering? I noticed it but ignored it but several took note of it yesterday and their assumption was that the noise was from excessive tire scrub, obviously which would affect corner speed. It has seemed to become more prevalent as the traction has increased.
Mine does the same thing. It doesn't seem to change the way the car handles.

Was only my second night driving mine and loving it. So smooth and easy to drive. To go fast with my old CRC I had to push hard and take risks, this car doesn't even feel like I am trying to go fast.

Broke the lap record and destroyed the race record by over a lap in one night. Both of which I had set with the CRC.
DavidNERODease likes this.
Old 03-20-2017, 01:13 AM   #100
Tech Initiate

Where can I order smaller spur gears for this car? We are running 17.5 so I'm thinking a 70t would get the job done.

Thanks
edfmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 06:25 AM   #101
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to Pinion King

CRW64072 will get you a 72T 64DP. Schumacher sell them but are out of stock, as are any of the other stores that carry them.
Old 03-20-2017, 10:09 AM   #102
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by edfmaniac View Post
Where can I order smaller spur gears for this car? We are running 17.5 so I'm thinking a 70t would get the job done.

Thanks
We use the RW 70 tooth. Apex RC should have them in stock.
Old 03-20-2017, 02:10 PM   #103
Tech Initiate

Thanks.

I was just looking at my car and remembered that some people were encountering a noise in the corner, possibly tires chattering. Could it be the slop between the bearings and the rear ride height inserts? I notice quite a bit of it and put some rubber cement on them to keep them from moving around. It was very noticeable and I wasn't comfortable running it like that since gear mesh is slightly effected.
Old 03-23-2017, 02:26 PM   #104
Tech Initiate

FYI- If you go the CRW64072 route, don't forget to order diff balls. They even tell you in the description of the gear but I overlooked that. You'll need 3/32's !!!
Old 03-23-2017, 02:36 PM   #105
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by edfmaniac View Post
FYI- If you go the CRW64072 route, don't forget to order diff balls. They even tell you in the description of the gear but I overlooked that. You'll need 3/32's !!!
And double check your side-to-side axle spacing if running a spur that takes 3/32" diff balls as now your right-side hub will be inset by .8mm versus running a spur that uses 1/8" diff balls.