R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree6Likes

Old 01-06-2017, 04:01 PM   #76
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Try thicker center damper fluid to start.
biz77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 02:21 PM   #77
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey63 View Post
is there a site or post showing the rates of different manufacturer springs on the market?
springs rates form the packet. Looks like the eclipse does use Kawada parts, plus it lists the imperial measurements too, such as that used by AE. looks like the red spring is the same wire diameter as the AE, .4's note sure if the have the same rate though..

Schumacher | Sanwa | Fantom | IP |
Diggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 03:22 PM   #78
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diggy View Post
springs rates form the packet. Looks like the eclipse does use Kawada parts, plus it lists the imperial measurements too, such as that used by AE. looks like the red spring is the same wire diameter as the AE, .4's note sure if the have the same rate though..

Those appear to be wire diameter in mm, not an imperial measurement. Associated springs are usually listed in imperial diameter sizes like .018, .020, .022 etc. here in the states. Interesting that a single size wire can have so many different rates.
Old 01-16-2017, 08:57 AM   #79
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 61 (98%+)
Default For sale

Hello gents, I'll be listing a kit for sale shortly on the national thread. I bought it and built it and used it One race day on carpet just to see what it looks like and have fun with it. Hit me up if you're interested otherwise it will be listed soon.

On-Road Only!
BardSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 11:54 AM   #80
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by biz77 View Post
Those appear to be wire diameter in mm, not an imperial measurement. Associated springs are usually listed in imperial diameter sizes like .018, .020, .022 etc. here in the states. Interesting that a single size wire can have so many different rates.
two springs with the same size wire but with more or less coils will have different spring rates. If equal wire sizes, the spring with more coils will be softer and the one with less coils will be stiffer.
Old 01-16-2017, 06:28 PM   #81
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vafactor View Post
two springs with the same size wire but with more or less coils will have different spring rates. If equal wire sizes, the spring with more coils will be softer and the one with less coils will be stiffer.
This sounds backwards to me.
Old 01-16-2017, 06:37 PM   #82
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

More coils is definitely softer
Old 01-17-2017, 01:17 AM   #83
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racermac73 View Post
More coils is definitely softer
This is correct.
Old 01-17-2017, 02:20 AM   #84
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1spunspur View Post
This sounds backwards to me.
Imagine the extremes: if the "spring" was just a rod of metal of that thickness, replacing the spring lengthwise, it would be much more rigid.

Now, also imagine that same wire thickness as a straight rod, but perpendicular (a bit like a leaf spring). The longer it would be, the softer it would be, and if it were really short, it'd be rather stiff.

Coiling is just a way of packing a long wire in a given space, so more coilings means that it's "hiding" a longer wire, thus, softer.
Old 01-17-2017, 04:35 AM   #85
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pphaneuf View Post
Imagine the extremes: if the "spring" was just a rod of metal of that thickness, replacing the spring lengthwise, it would be much more rigid.

Now, also imagine that same wire thickness as a straight rod, but perpendicular (a bit like a leaf spring). The longer it would be, the softer it would be, and if it were really short, it'd be rather stiff.

Coiling is just a way of packing a long wire in a given space, so more coilings means that it's "hiding" a longer wire, thus, softer.
Taking an explanation all the way to its logical extremes is a wonderful way to illustrate a point. This is the best explanation I've heard!
howardcano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 05:00 AM   #86
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by howardcano View Post
Taking an explanation all the way to its logical extremes is a wonderful way to illustrate a point. This is the best explanation I've heard!
I really don't like it when I'm just told "it's obvious it's like that, and if you don't get it, well, just accept it".
Old 01-19-2017, 01:12 PM   #87
Tech Addict

See post #89

Last edited by biz77; 01-20-2017 at 10:13 AM. Reason: New information pertaining to issue
Old 01-20-2017, 01:35 AM   #88
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by biz77 View Post
Heads up for those ordering from the Schumacher site in the UK: Schumacher utilizes a third party merchant for credit card processing which is either shady or has pretty questionable security measures. One credit card has already been compromised from ordering off the racing-cars.com site. I would steer clear of purchasing anything from Schumacher directly until this is addressed.
Have you emailed to tell them this?
wlrc.co.uk (West London Racing Centre)
RCDisco.co.uk
Skiddins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 10:11 AM   #89
Tech Addict

Schumacher has been contacted. One of their head IT people followed up immediately = Top notch! They have assured us their payment processing company is very secure. We presumed it was the transaction done through Schumacher as the fraudulent transactions happened within hours of purchasing on Schumacher's site and all of the fraudulent charges were UK-based.
I personally received notification from my credit card company this AM that my card was compromised. I have not made a purchase through Schumacher's UK site. All of my charges were US-based. We are contacting Stormer, as it's the common denominator for both of us that have been hit. Not saying it's either Schmacher or Stormer, but it COULD be one of them. Bottom line: Be careful making online purchases and check your statement if you have purchased from either of them. If you are using a debit card to make these purchases make sure you are protected against unauthorized transactions.
Old 01-20-2017, 12:11 PM   #90
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to MattW

To be fair to Schumacher, they did have a problem about 4-5 years ago on their website, but after that, they put in a lot of work / time / money to make sure that it couldn't happen again. I haven't heard of anyone that's had any issues since.
MattW is offline   Reply With Quote